[Min KSP: 1.12.2] Pathfinder - Space Camping & Geoscience

Angelo Kerman

16 minutes ago, infinite_monkey said:

@Space Kadet@capi3101 You might want to check out this thread. Do you have something similar in your logs?

Not at the moment, but then again I've been doing things the hard way. Let me do a switch and see if one does pop up.

I am seeing a lot of "NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object" in my last log on my diagnostic save from a few days ago...

[ERR 11:11:18.175] Module WBIKISInventoryManager threw during OnStart: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at WildBlueIndustries.WBIKISInventoryWrapper.HideToggleInventory () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at WildBlueIndustries.WBIKISInventoryManager.findInventories () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at WildBlueIndustries.WBIKISInventoryManager.OnStart (StartState state) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Part.ModulesOnStart () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

[ERR 11:11:22.200] Module WBIKISInventoryManager threw during OnUpdate: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at WildBlueIndustries.WBIKISInventoryManager.OnUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Part.ModulesOnUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

But I don't think that's related not being able to switch craft. I noticed nothing when this was going on.

2 hours ago, capi3101 said:

Not at the moment, but then again I've been doing things the hard way. Let me do a switch and see if one does pop up. <snip />

Got a couple...only tried the switch one time. Here's the log. Timestamps [EXC 12:17:44.504] and [EXC 12:17:51.665].

Got a lot of error messages in there regarding something called WildBlueIndustries.WBIParachuteHelper.FixedUpdate ()

On 9/21/2015 at 7:07 PM, Angel-125 said:

Requires Kerbal Inventory System (KIS) and Kerbal Attachment System (KAS) by KospY & Winn78.

FYI, these two links in the OP are dead.

Current links are:

KAS: https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/142594-15-kerbal-attachment-system-kas-v11/

KIS: https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/149848-16-kerbal-inventory-system-kis-v118/

Awesome stuff!

What will the printed parts end up being? Will you do something akin to ESA's "Moon Village" concept, or like MARSHA or some of the other proposed 3D printed habs I have seen?  Will it function sort of like the boxes that assemble right now, only the player can choose what to print based on what resources are available? Looks really interesting.

I have only started messing with Pathfinder lately, and the mechanics are pretty interesting.

Hi

I have a question and would like to apologize in advance if this has been answered quite often. But that's over a hundred pages and I'm not sure which keywords to look for.

First of all a thank you for this great mod. I play KSP only for a few weeks but it is a lot of fun and this is primarily due to such great mods like this.

Before the installation I looked at the tutorial. It also explains how to build the HIM simplified. I am already over 50 years old and just want to play comfortably for myself. That's why I wanted to use the options and build simplified (without 900 parts).

However, I pressed the query too quickly during the first setup. And the second setup is no longer query.

If I press Alt-P now comes only a window with the display.

"No winches found in this scene"

What option do I have to change the settings now?

Thanks for your help

PS: at my age, I would be grateful for a simple solution;)

1 hour ago, tater said:

What will the printed parts end up being? Will you do something akin to ESA's "Moon Village" concept, or like MARSHA or some of the other proposed 3D printed habs I have seen?  Will it function sort of like the boxes that assemble right now, only the player can choose what to print based on what resources are available? Looks really interesting.

I have only started messing with Pathfinder lately, and the mechanics are pretty interesting.

If you are familiar with Extraplanetary Launchpads, the 3D printer will serve as a workshop that doesn't require kerbals, and a "launchpad" to make new craft with. To summarize, you can build whole bases without the need for kerbals. it is inspired by NASA's 3D Habitat Challenge.

58 minutes ago, Skorp67 said:

Hi

I have a question and would like to apologize in advance if this has been answered quite often. But that's over a hundred pages and I'm not sure which keywords to look for.

First of all a thank you for this great mod. I play KSP only for a few weeks but it is a lot of fun and this is primarily due to such great mods like this.

Before the installation I looked at the tutorial. It also explains how to build the HIM simplified. I am already over 50 years old and just want to play comfortably for myself. That's why I wanted to use the options and build simplified (without 900 parts).

However, I pressed the query too quickly during the first setup. And the second setup is no longer query.

If I press Alt-P now comes only a window with the display.

"No winches found in this scene"

What option do I have to change the settings now?

Thanks for your help

PS: at my age, I would be grateful for a simple solution;)

This actually sounds like a Kerbal Inventory System issue, you probably need to ask this on the KIS thread.. :)

1 hour ago, Angel-125 said:

If you are familiar with Extraplanetary Launchpads, the 3D printer will serve as a workshop that doesn't require kerbals, and a "launchpad" to make new craft with. To summarize, you can build whole bases without the need for kerbals. it is inspired by NASA's 3D Habitat Challenge.

Gotcha.

So you could place it on a rover of some kind, then build structures in-situ?

Will there be new non-inflated looking structures (presumably regolith colored)?

Very cool.

A thread I made about 3D printed habs with vids/pics should they be of any help.

Edited by tater

16 hours ago, tater said:

Gotcha.

So you could place it on a rover of some kind, then build structures in-situ?

Will there be new non-inflated looking structures (presumably regolith colored)? 

Very cool.

I'm not at liberty to say if such a parts pack is coming, but imagine being able to deploy a craft file containing pre-attached, pre-inflated giant stuff with the conveniences this 3D Printer Arm will bring.

That'd be nice indeed. Two things stand in the way of a good regolith-covered base parts mod, however:

• Providing an easy way to match the given terrain color where deployed.
  • Positioning parts before or during deployment in-situ, which Pathfinder does well but represents in an odd way (they are as a huge backpack on a camper's back) :sticktongue:

29 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

That'd be nice indeed. Two things stand in the way of a good regolith-covered base parts mod, however:

• Providing an easy way to match the given terrain color where deployed.
  • Positioning parts before or during deployment in-situ, which Pathfinder does well but represents in an odd way (they are as a huge backpack on a camper's back) :sticktongue:

For the first point, it could be in the right click to deploy (the player can specifically state the target color). Not automagical, but would work.

For the second point, the 3D printer part could act a little like KIS/KAS on deployment. It puts a transparent ghost of the structure in view, the player rotates it as requires, then hits print.

1 hour ago, tater said:

For the first point, it could be in the right click to deploy (the player can specifically state the target color). Not automagical, but would work.

For the second point, the 3D printer part could act a little like KIS/KAS on deployment. It puts a transparent ghost of the structure in view, the player rotates it as requires, then hits print.

It's not as simple as right-click and bam, regolith is colored properly to match the ground. Stuff like this takes time and effort to make, and I'm not inclined to do so. But you can definitely make parts that would have a regolith mesh on top, and you can make a plugin to handle the color changes. Such things are beyond the scope of what I'm making. The 3D printer is designed to work with Extraplanetary Launchpads, which means you can make anything in your craft lists from SPH and VAB, so it does a lot more than just regolith bases.

3 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

It's not as simple as right-click and bam, regolith is colored properly to match the ground. Stuff like this takes time and effort to make, and I'm not inclined to do so. But you can definitely make parts that would have a regolith mesh on top, and you can make a plugin to handle the color changes. Such things are beyond the scope of what I'm making. The 3D printer is designed to work with Extraplanetary Launchpads, which means you can make anything in your craft lists from SPH and VAB, so it does a lot more than just regolith bases.

Gotcha.

I wasn't thinking automatic, just that the parts that might be built could have a right click selection (in the VAB) for what color they are (Duna, Mun, etc) as there is for the capsule variant colors.

So basically the area in front of the printer is the "launchpad" a la EPL.

10 hours ago, tater said:

I wasn't thinking automatic, just that the parts that might be built could have a right click selection (in the VAB) for what color they are (Duna, Mun, etc) as there is for the capsule variant colors.

How many color variants are there on most stock parts?  There are 15 systems in the stock solar system you could build one of these on...  (And of course, that's only stock.)  That'd be a lot of color variants, if it's all a manual process...

I’m used to the SSTU mod where I can make any color I like, lol.

Regardless, there are a few color families that can work, short of every world. Printed material is a blend of regolith and build stock. I’d expect it to be darker based on RL images I have seen (printed regolith simulant). There are a number of moons that could use gray. Add a tan, green, reddish, etc.  Alternately, if the shape is simple enough (a hill-like mound), then it could simply use the texture of the target world. The long list would be in the VAB, not cluttering the menu in play.

9 hours ago, tater said:

I’m used to the SSTU mod where I can make any color I like, lol.

Regardless, there are a few color families that can work, short of every world. Printed material is a blend of regolith and build stock. I’d expect it to be darker based on RL images I have seen (printed regolith simulant). There are a number of moons that could use gray. Add a tan, green, reddish, etc.  Alternately, if the shape is simple enough (a hill-like mound), then it could simply use the texture of the target world. The long list would be in the VAB, not cluttering the menu in play.

I'm sure @Angel-125 would happily take pull requests if you wanted to help come up with colors for the models.

8 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

With enough artistic skill and time (which I currently don't have), I'd make this:

tumblr_nufinsM5fG1ug5hjio1_1280.jpg

The two suits in the alcove make me think of a couple of guys having a beer on the porch after a hard days work.

On 3/2/2019 at 10:05 AM, Angel-125 said:

You probably know, but Kerbal Konstructs has a ground color matching feature that works on any planet.

20 minutes ago, Nightside said:

The two suits in the alcove make me think of a couple of guys having a beer on the porch after a hard days work.

You probably know, but Kerbal Konstructs has a ground color matching feature that works on any planet.

Unfortunately I don’t think the color matching works for parts that I know of. Regardless it is a moot point. I don’t have time to make such fancy parts. But if someone else makes them, the printer can print a vessel comprised of said parts.

I've had a Breakthrough Tech experiment going on at a Doc at Piper Alpha on Mun for a while now. I'm noting that it's only gaining Lab Time if I'm actually at the base. At the current rate of data accumulation, I'm concerned that I might actually time out on the experiment contract before I complete it (been ongoing for the past forty days and I'm up to a whopping 12/180 Lab Time gathered). Is this intended behavior for that particular experiment? What are some things I can do to increase the rate of Lab Time accumulation, and will I absolutely have to be at the base the entire time?

Productivity of PA is 5.1 overall, and I think the Doc in question has a part productivity of 3.6; I'd have to check that. Bob's in the Doc - he's at two stars. Scientist Dilbur Kerman is also in the Doc; he's two stars at well with Stupidity 0.0486 (less than Bob).