[Min KSP: 1.12.2] Pathfinder - Space Camping & Geoscience

Angelo Kerman

So, I've got my ore generators (plural) working! :) You'll be able to convert the Buckboard 2000 & 3000 into ore-powered generators. The 2000 isn't as efficient as the 3000, but it requires fewer RocketParts to convert. My todo list for the next release is getting shorter; just need to figure out how to create a toolbar button for the stock toolbar that will display the Pathfinder Settings window. That, and I'm working on my next IVA:

N3OZkNX.jpg

Since the Hacienda is a factory, I did some research on factories and found that they are a combination of open space and clutter. I'm going to try and capture that essence in the IVA.

Edited by Angel-125

3 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

More like I set out to make the best colonization mod that I can make with my skills. :)

Well,  your skills are certainly good enough when viewed from the perspective of having none :)  I am so looking forward to using this extensively in 1.1.

21 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

So, I've got my ore generators (plural) working! :) You'll be able to convert the Buckboard 2000 & 3000 into ore-powered generators. The 2000 isn't as efficient as the 3000, but it requires fewer RocketParts to convert. My todo list is getting shorter; just need to figure out how to create a toolbar button for the stock toolbar that will display the Pathfinder Settings window.

Yay!

That, and I'm working on my next IVA:  Since the Hacienda is a factory, I did some research on factories and found that they are a combination of open space and clutter. I'm going to try and capture that essence in the IVA.

That looks like a great concept.  The factories I worked in were laid out kinda like cities.  You had built-up "blocks" of the actual production areas, all dense clots of machine tools and work benches, separated by wide "boulevards" for the forklifts and carts moving product down the line.  So you've got 2 main production areas with an aisle in between---perfect.  Just put different textures on the walls of the solid areas to represent the different types of machinery of the various configurations, and voila :)

BTW, does the TERRAIN or anything else detect whether a planet has geothermal power?  If it does, I'm too blind to see it.  It would be nice to know that in advance before sending out a Hot Springs that ends up not working :D

Edited by Geschosskopf

6 minutes ago, Geschosskopf said:

Well,  your skills are certainly good enough when viewed from the perspective of having none :)  I am so looking forward to using this extensively in 1.1.

Yay!

That looks like a great concept.  The factories I worked in were laid out kinda like cities.  You had built-up "blocks" of the actual production areas, all dense clots of machine tools and work benches, separated by wide "boulevards" for the forklifts and carts moving product down the line.  So you've got 2 main production areas with an aisle in between---perfect.  Just put different textures on the walls of the solid areas to represent the different types of machinery of the various configurations, and voila :)

BTW, does the TERRAIN or anything else detect whether a planet has geothermal power?  If it does, I'm too blind to see it.  It would be nice to know that in advance before sending out a Hot Springs that ends up not working :D

Thanks. :) Good info on the factory. I was thinking that the central isle is where an industrial 3D printer does its thing, and there's a big crane overhead. The upper floors have various workstations, toolboxes, containers for MaterialKits, etc.

GeoEnergy is just another resource, so it will show up when you cycle through the resources.

2 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

Thanks. :) Good info on the factory. I was thinking that the central isle is where an industrial 3D printer does its thing, and there's a big crane overhead. The upper floors have various workstations, toolboxes, containers for MaterialKits, etc.

That works :)

2 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

GeoEnergy is just another resource, so it will show up when you cycle through the resources.

Ah, that actually clears up some of the mystery of how the Hot Springs works, which I had trouble understanding from the wiki.  So, please tell me if I have it figured correctly now....  As I understand it, the "Start/Stop Geothermal Tap" button drills for GeoEnergy, which is a resource in the ground.  Then the "Geothermal Power On/Off" button converts GeoEnergy and Water into EC.  Is that correct?

9 hours ago, Geschosskopf said:

That works :)

Ah, that actually clears up some of the mystery of how the Hot Springs works, which I had trouble understanding from the wiki.  So, please tell me if I have it figured correctly now....  As I understand it, the "Start/Stop Geothermal Tap" button drills for GeoEnergy, which is a resource in the ground.  Then the "Geothermal Power On/Off" button converts GeoEnergy and Water into EC.  Is that correct?

Yup, that's right. You need to tap into the world's GeoEnergy, have some water on hand, and then you can turn on the power.

1 hour ago, Delta_8930 said:

Pressing Alt P on windows won't let me open the pathfinder settings; in fact I can't find the button for pathfinder settings anywhere. 

Not sure why that would be, I have no problems. Fortunately, next release you'll have a toolbar button. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I have a hard time getting the recycler on the stockyards working. First I thought it might be a conflict with USIs Kolonization core. But even without it, the recycler just stays at idle all the time, even when i let the craft to be recycled bump into the end bit of the stockyard.

Any Ideas here or instructions how to use it properly?

Btw, thanks for this great mod!

6 hours ago, jaytea_org said:

I have a hard time getting the recycler on the stockyards working. First I thought it might be a conflict with USIs Kolonization core. But even without it, the recycler just stays at idle all the time, even when i let the craft to be recycled bump into the end bit of the stockyard.

Do you have the Extraplanetary Launchpads mod installed? That mod is required for the stockyards to work properly. 

8 hours ago, jaytea_org said:

Haven't tried it in awhile but you should just start the recycler and fly into the dock.

3 hours ago, 123nick said:

hey why is there a copy of CRP within the folder, which is in the gamedata folder, where CRP is usually located?

That's an oops on my part. That'll be fixed next release. You can safely delete the CRP within the Pathfinder folder.

BTW, the next release is taking awhile due to the IVA. IVAs take a long time to do right...

11 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

Haven't tried it in awhile but you should just start the recycler and fly into the dock.

I haven't tried flying into an active Stockyard, only activating the Stockyard while a craft is inside. But at least with the standard EL recyclers that doesn't make a difference. I will try it when I get back home though.

Does anyone else have a problem with the Blacksmith Workshop stopping production?  Whenever I go to Space Center or another distant ship, the production stops.  Not sure if resources are returned.  It works as long as stay in the area.  Tested in sandbox and OSE and USI fabricators work ok.

7 hours ago, RiverRat2800 said:

Does anyone else have a problem with the Blacksmith Workshop stopping production?  Whenever I go to Space Center or another distant ship, the production stops.  Not sure if resources are returned.  It works as long as stay in the area.  Tested in sandbox and OSE and USI fabricators work ok.

I've noticed that too, actually. It may take a bit for me to sort out.

Finally got the basis of the Hacienda interior set up:

ZNPo0fu.png

This is just the start, I have to do some more research on what would go well with the module. Things like toolboxes, screw trays, power tools, etc.

And a refresh of the promo image:

UwH743k.jpg

Edited by Angel-125

0.9.10 The Calm Before The Storm

Get the latest here!

Or from SpaceDock

While I am still working on the Hacienda IVA (quality work takes time), this update brings some quality of life improvements, bug fixes, and new uses for the Buckboards. It also provides support for @Nils277's excellent Kerbal Planetary Base Systems. If you haven't seen KPBS, check it out! The design and art quality is simply stunning.

Switchback
- The attachment nodes now support symmetrical installation of parts.

Buckboard 2000 & 3000
- The Buckboard 2000 & 3000 can now be converted into an ore-powered generator. It consumes Ore to produce ElectricCharge. The generator can break down (unless you opt-out via Pathfinder's Settings screen), and it generates heat. It also benefits from the Pathfinder Geology Lab's Metallurgy research. In career mode, the generator conversion is available after you research Advanced Electrics. Thanks for the suggestion, @Geschosskopf! :)

Kerbal Planetary Base Systems
- Added support for Kerbal Planetary Base Systems. While not as efficient as Pathfinder's modules due to their size, they can still contribute to your Pathfinder base, and still benefit from efficiency improvements created in the geology lab.
  * The K&K Planetary Habitat MK2 can be used as part of Pathfinder's habitat wing.
  * The K&K Planetary Laboratory can be used as part of Pathfinder's science wing.
  * The K&K Planetary Greenhouse uses Pathfinder's greenhouse module code.
  * The K&K Rocket Fuel tanks now hold a variety of different resources (and default to LiquidFuel/Oxidizer).

Other
- You can now access the Pathfinder Settings window from the application toolbar.
- You can now dump resources in flight without having to switch templates. Click "Dump Resources" once, then again to confirm.
- The airlocks on the inflatable modules have been offset to make it easier to enter the desired module. NOTE: due to space constraints the Casa now only has one inflatable airlock. A new version of the Casa is planned that won't break existing bases.

Bug Fixes
- The internal screens in the Ponderosa/Casa work better now. Click on a screen to select an image from your Screenshots folder. You can also enable random selection of images; currently the images will change once every 30 seconds if configured to do so, but a future update will let you configure the screen switch time. Thanks for the challenge, @Kuzzter! :)
- Fixed attachment nodes on all inflatable modules so that you can properly stack-mount the inflatable modules in the VAB/SPH.
- Fixed a KIS issue with the Buckboard 3000 that prevented it from being carried properly.
- Fixed a KIS issue with the Buckboard 2000 that prevented it from being carried properly.
- Fixed a rare case where the drill modify window would lock up the game.

15 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

0.9.10 The Calm Before The Storm

Schweet!  Let this be written, in the brief time that paper still exist before the world burns in 1.1, that Pathfinder rocks.  Hope to see it on the other side :D

15 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

Thanks for the suggestion, @Geschosskopf! :)

Hey, glad you liked the idea enough to do it, although I got the idea from @RoverDude  Those who build outposts, as opposed to major bases, in places where the sun don't shine will certainly appreciate this.

16 minutes ago, troyfawkes said:

Calmly waiting on the update that fixes the Terrain error :o Just started playing around with this mod though, seems like a ton of fun. Going to be changing the way I build bases for sure :D

Glad you like the mod :) I expect to have a hotfix tonight or tomorrow. I solved the bug already, just need to do some integration tests and package up the installation.

1 hour ago, Angel-125 said:

Glad you like the mod :) I expect to have a hotfix tonight or tomorrow. I solved the bug already, just need to do some integration tests and package up the installation.

What terrain issue? 

1 minute ago, Denko666 said:

What terrain issue? 

If you have an existing TERRAIN satellite and install the latest Pathfinder, the satellite explodes. Also, the Buckboards won't let you reconfigure them. I have both issues fixed and will have a hotfix tonight or tomorrow.