[Min KSP: 1.12.2] Pathfinder - Space Camping & Geoscience

Angelo Kerman

2 hours ago, CajunInABox said:

I just managed to find roverdude's balance spreadsheet, thanks for the heads up! Time for some balancing...

While I'm playing around with balance, I was comparing your latest TAC-LS config to the USI-LS config from Pathfinder 1.14, noticed this at the bottom:

Hide contents

@PART[WBI_Ponderosa,WBI_Ponderosa2,WBI_DocSciLab,WBI_Hacienda]:NEEDS[TacLifeSupport]
{
    RESOURCE
    {
        name = Food
        amount = 0
        maxAmount = 17.6
        isTweakable = true
    }

RESOURCE
    {
        name = Water
        amount = 0
        maxAmount = 11.68
        isTweakable = true
    }

RESOURCE
    {
        name = Oxygen
        amount = 0
        maxAmount = 1766
        isTweakable = true
    }

RESOURCE
    {
        name = Waste
        amount = 0
        maxAmount = 17.6
        isTweakable = true
    }

RESOURCE
    {
        name = WasteWater
        amount = 0
        maxAmount = 11.68
        isTweakable = true
    }

RESOURCE
    {
        name = CarbonDioxide
        amount = 0
        maxAmount = 1766
        isTweakable = true
    }
}

I assume this is assigning resource storage to the parts, but you already did that for a bunch of parts up above. Is this only necessary for parts that can store the resources, but don't have LS converters? Do you know if it's necessary to do the same for USI-LS?

Yes. I think I set up the config to just add resources for some parts and resources and converters for others.

9 hours ago, vardicd said:

Sometimes you have to, in order to narrow down a problem. I spent 9 hours yesterday removing/adding, nearly all of my 85 mods starting and restarting KSP each time, to figure out which mod was generating duplicate menu options and flag pictures when I was starting a new game.

Did you find out which one? I have been afflicted by this recently.

1 hour ago, DeltaDizzy said:

Did you find out which one? I have been afflicted by this recently.

Nertea's stockalike station expansion. I reported the issue, and Nertea was able to push a patch out that removed the extra files causing the glitch.

7 hours ago, RocketSquid said:

Just a note, I am currently working on balancing WBI parts with USI to the extent of adding a full set of templates for 1:1 UKS compatibility, so if you need size comparisons I’ve got you covered 

A quick browse shows you probably know a God awful lot more than I do about writing configs. Can't wait to see what you come up with! 

So I'm wondering if there is a updated wiki or some other documentation on this mod? I cant figure out out how to put the core samples into the science lab to do the chemical analysis. I can make them with he drill, and the science lab says it needs 6 of them but I cant figure out how to give it those 6 samples. 

1 hour ago, Clockworkbot said:

So I'm wondering if there is a updated wiki or some other documentation on this mod?

Short answer is no. Long answer is nooooooooooooo....... <channeling_strong_bad />

And yes, the documentation needs to be updated rather badly; I've had to figure a lot of this mod out through trial-and-error. Fortunately, I can proudly say that I've got three healthy bases going at this point. I can try to answer any questions you might have; others will no doubt correct me if I say something patently stupid. I hope they would anyway.

1 hour ago, Clockworkbot said:

I cant figure out out how to put the core samples into the science lab to do the chemical analysis. I can make them with he drill, and the science lab says it needs 6 of them but I cant figure out how to give it those 6 samples. 

If you've got a Geology Lab Pondarosa or Casa at your base, you're making Core Samples; the ratio is 5 EC and 0.00027777 Research Kits to output 0.00005 Core Samples, and this appears to be the formula regardless of the mode in which you're using the mod (I assume these rates are resource/second, but I'm not 100% sure on that and it does depend on the efficiency rating of the lab). You won't be generating them very quickly at any rate. The Doc/Watney can generate new research kits from ore if you need them; again this appears to be regardless of the mode. The good news is that once you've got the samples, the analysis itself won't take particularly long, and it shouldn't be necessary to physically relocate the samples.

Edited by capi3101

21 hours ago, CajunInABox said:

A quick browse shows you probably know a God awful lot more than I do about writing configs. Can't wait to see what you come up with! 

I had a phase a year or two ago when I decided I wanted to do some modding. I created the configs and the first round of models only to realize that I had no idea how to unity. About the only config thing I don't know about is Core Heat and heat-dependent productivity in general.

In this case it helps that both RoverDude and Angel-125 have made very intuitive modules, I could basically jump right in on omni-converters.

13 hours ago, capi3101 said:

Short answer is no. Long answer is nooooooooooooo....... <channeling_strong_bad />

And yes, the documentation needs to be updated rather badly; I've had to figure a lot of this mod out through trial-and-error. Fortunately, I can proudly say that I've got three healthy bases going at this point. I can try to answer any questions you might have; others will no doubt correct me if I say something patently stupid. I hope they would anyway.

If you've got a Geology Lab Pondarosa or Casa at your base, you're making Core Samples; the ratio is 5 EC and 0.00027777 Research Kits to output 0.00005 Core Samples, and this appears to be the formula regardless of the mode in which you're using the mod (I assume these rates are resource/second, but I'm not 100% sure on that and it does depend on the efficiency rating of the lab). You won't be generating them very quickly at any rate. The Doc/Watney can generate new research kits from ore if you need them; again this appears to be regardless of the mode. The good news is that once you've got the samples, the analysis itself won't take particularly long, and it shouldn't be necessary to physically relocate the samples.

I severely misunderstood this. I thought you got them from the gold digger. Thanks for the help man! :)

10 hours ago, Clockworkbot said:

I severely misunderstood this. I thought you got them from the gold digger. Thanks for the help man! :)

Going back through the configuration file for the Gold Digger this morning, it looks like you can get them that way too though I couldn't say as to the efficacy of the method. Chalk this up to my own misunderstanding - I was under the impression that the Gold Digger was little more than a miniature drill. I'll have to machine up now and see if it does anything else...

The Geology Lab method I'll swear to - that one was also in the configuration files.

EDIT: Okay, they are different things, as per this post from about this same time last year. Was scanning the thread for some more details on how Pipelines worked and just happened to spot it.

Edited by capi3101

Pathfinder 1.31.1.0 is now available.
GitHub URL: https://github.com/Angel-125/Pathfinder/releases/tag/v1.31.1.0

Changes

- Removed ThermalEfficiency and TemperatureModifier nodes from stock drills in the MM_Drills.cfg patch. For reals this time. Thanks haelon! :)
- Removed duplicate Play Mode patches.
- If you have multiple Buffalo Bulldozers on site, any bulldozer currently NOT engaged in a project will improve the build rate of the bulldozers that ARE engaged in a project.

5 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

If you have multiple Buffalo Bulldozers on site, any bulldozer currently NOT engaged in a project will improve the build rate of the bulldozers that ARE engaged in a project.

So basically any idle bulldozers are technically helping the active one?

24 minutes ago, shdwlrd said:

So basically any idle bulldozers are technically helping the active one?

Yes. It’s hard to simulate that in game because your bulldozers are just sitting there, but any idle bulldozer will help out any active ones. Two bulldozers can cut building time in half if one is on a project and the other is helping. The only limit is the number of bulldozers you have on hand.

Edited by Angel-125

Just about got Deepwater Horizon where I want it...

87kAdW8.png
Question: Do I need to leave the Rangeland hooked up to the rest of the base? I'd like to be able to select it specifically as a target for the Trajectories mod - that way when I send down a lander to the base, I'm not accidentally landing on top of one of those Hogans...

Also, how do you determine the maximum range of the Pipelines? I know there's a kinetic energy formula calibrated for 10 tonnes to Munar orbit, but is that the only factor in play here? I've got the receiving end orbital station coming in from Kerbin and it'd be kinda cool to shoot a payload out to it while it's still en route, IMHO. Both ends are turned on and I've got enough telemetry on this end, but it still isn't letting me send even the smallest amount of payload.

EDIT: More specific question - I've got a orbital mass driver up in a 100km orbit over Kerbin. What's keeping the Pipeline at Deepwater Horizon from being able to send stuff to it?

Edited by capi3101
trying to clarify my questions.

1 hour ago, capi3101 said:

Question: Do I need to leave the Rangeland hooked up to the rest of the base? I'd like to be able to select it specifically as a target for the Trajectories mod - that way when I send down a lander to the base, I'm not accidentally landing on top of one of those Hogans...

I put a waypoint in the middle of the Rangeland with Waypoint Manager from Nightingale and use that instead of targeting the base.

1 hour ago, capi3101 said:

Just about got Deepwater Horizon where I want it...

87kAdW8.png

Also, how do you determine the maximum range of the Pipelines? I know there's a kinetic energy formula calibrated for 10 tonnes to Munar orbit, but is that the only factor in play here? I've got the receiving end orbital station coming in from Kerbin and it'd be kinda cool to shoot a payload out to it while it's still en route, IMHO. Both ends are turned on and I've got enough telemetry on this end, but it still isn't letting me send even the smallest amount of payload.

EDIT: More specific question - I've got a orbital mass driver up in a 100km orbit over Kerbin. What's keeping the Pipeline at Deepwater Horizon from being able to send stuff to it?

Nice base!

Max range depends upon the max kinetic energy and the payload you are sending. I recall testing about a tonne of payload for an orbital shot from Kerbin. You are restricted to Pipelines that are in the same SOI.

The Pipeline generates trajectory data but the Castillo (formerly Hogan) can generate data as well. You get the maximum amount if you fully staff the Castillo and turn off sending data to MPL type labs and GoldStrike prospectors. I do have another part in mind that is dedicated to providing trajectory data but it will take some time to make.

Also remember that you need LiquidFuel and Oxidizer at your base to fuel the rocket assisted payload canister.

For the Rangeland you need to keep it connected in order to make use of its production ability, but I have some ideas for that too...

47 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

Nice base!

Thanks. It's taken quite a bit to get it to that point, of course.

47 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

Max range depends upon the max kinetic energy and the payload you are sending. I recall testing about a tonne of payload for an orbital shot from Kerbin. You are restricted to Pipelines that are in the same SOI.

The Pipeline generates trajectory data but the Castillo (formerly Hogan) can generate data as well. You get the maximum amount if you fully staff the Castillo and turn off sending data to MPL type labs and GoldStrike prospectors. I do have another part in mind that is dedicated to providing trajectory data but it will take some time to make.

Also remember that you need LiquidFuel and Oxidizer at your base to fuel the rocket assisted payload canister.

Pipelines in the same SOI - got it. That makes sense. And the orbital ones have less maxKE available to them than the ground-based ones, right? How are they calibrated by default? 

51 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

For the Rangeland you need to keep it connected in order to make use of its production ability, but I have some ideas for that too...

Okay. I don't have the prerequisite mod to produce craft away from KSC, so it sounds like I can disconnect it.

14 hours ago, capi3101 said:

Thanks. It's taken quite a bit to get it to that point, of course.

Pipelines in the same SOI - got it. That makes sense. And the orbital ones have less maxKE available to them than the ground-based ones, right? How are they calibrated by default? 

Okay. I don't have the prerequisite mod to produce craft away from KSC, so it sounds like I can disconnect it.

The orbital pipeline has a tenth of the kinetic energy as I recall. Enough to send payloads to other orbits and serve as a mass catcher, but not enough to match the much larger ground variant that is mostly built underground.

I did a test base on kerbin, and so far so forth I have encountered a problem with some part from various mods (will cp on their respective therads)

- KAS:

1. pipe texture (hose-d70-1k.dds) on folder, but still getting a message (IG) that texture is missing.
  2. Docking 2 pylons on steroids with 3 gold diggers and a Radioisotope with a joint socket and a Telescopic fixed join works well until I attach something else using Pathfinder piping. Something randomly explodes or the pylon that where attached to the ground get thrown up and detached.
  3. If leaving something unattached to the base (but still bolted on ground) and coming back (back to Space Center and launch a new vessel to continue building) the unlinked unlocked part is nowhere to be found. Don't know which mod is responsible but I think it may be basic KAS behaviour?.

- Universal Storage 2:

1. The Universal Storage Alkaline Cell consumes O2 and H2 and produces H2O as intended, but the Elecktron does not consumes water, nor it transforms it on H2 and O2.
  2. The US2 Battery does not have any charge in it when I launch my vessel (same with the Pathfinder chasis). It shows electricity function on building menu but when launch it does not contain any electricity (like there is not electrical function)

- Pathfinder:

1. Batteries on Buffalo chassis does not works as intended. It shows electricity function on building menu but when launch it does not contain any electricity (like there is not electrical function). It does not happen with any other resource AFAIK.
  2. Docking 2 pylons on steroids with 3 gold diggers and a Radioisotope with a joint socket and a Telescopic fixed join works well until I attach something else using Pathfinder piping. Something randomly explodes or the pylon that where attached to the ground get thrown up and detached.
  3. If leaving something unattached to the base (but still bolted on ground) and coming back (back to Space Center and launch a new vessel to continue building) the unlinked unlocked part is nowhere to be found. Don't know which mod is responsible but I think it may be basic KAS behaviour?.

Yes, I have reinstalled and checked if everything is where it should be (by comparing CKAN downloaded .rar with folders in Game Data). Still, problems persist.

I use nearly 100 mods in total.

Thank you guys for your amazing mods (that totally should be stock).

4 hours ago, Zankastia said:

I did a test base on kerbin, and so far so forth I have encountered a problem with some part from various mods (will cp on their respective therads)

- KAS:

1. pipe texture (hose-d70-1k.dds) on folder, but still getting a message (IG) that texture is missing.

- Universal Storage 2:

1. The Universal Storage Alkaline Cell consumes O2 and H2 and produces H2O as intended, but the Elecktron does not consumes water, nor it transforms it on H2 and O2.
  2. The US2 Battery does not have any charge in it when I launch my vessel (same with the Pathfinder chasis). It shows electricity function on building menu but when launch it does not contain any electricity (like there is not electrical function)

- Pathfinder:

1. Batteries on Buffalo chassis does not works as intended. It shows electricity function on building menu but when launch it does not contain any electricity (like there is not electrical function). It does not happen with any other resource AFAIK.

Yes, I have reinstalled and checked if everything is where it should be (by comparing CKAN downloaded .rar with folders in Game Data). Still, problems persist.

I use nearly 100 mods in total.

Thank you guys for your amazing mods (that totally should be stock).

I don't know about the rest at the moment, as you didn't put together a log or a pic of your gamedata folder or anything, but I can say that both the US2 and the Pathfinder/Buffalo batteries work just fine on my install, so you likely have a mod conflict for electricity. You could also possibly have something tweaked in your max persistent debris setting, because it sounds like it's auto-cleaning your base.

9 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

Need to accumulate trajectory data faster for your Pipeline? Want to set up a Deep Space Network on a remote planet? Then you'll need one of these (WIP):

BoT2FxB.jpg

That's a 12.5m ground station, a new boxed part... :)

Hmm...let's see.....the Spanish for "birdbath" is pila para pájaros. Naw, that'll never stick...

Looking forward to trying it out.

4 hours ago, BRAAAP_STUTUTU said:

Can i still make LH2 on the classic stock playmode?

Let's see...the SolarFlare lab (when you're making fusion pellets) and Watney Water Splitter both make Liquid Hydrogen in CRP unless I'm mistaken. The water splitter isn't in the Classic Stock options and the only output to the fusion pellet process in Classic Stock is fusion pellets, so looks like a negatory unless someone can correct me.

What do you need it for, out of curiosity? I've been playing CRP for a while since it's a dependency for IFS, and I still haven't figured out what it's used for (for lack of trying, admittedly).

BTW, @Angel-125 , I went ahead and finally made the switch to 1.5.x today; already tested Pathfinder with CRP and I've got Buckboards with reconfigurable storage. Just letting you know. They didn't appear to be reconfigurable in Pristine mode but that's intended behavior unless I'm very much mistaken.