[Min KSP: 1.12.2] Pathfinder - Space Camping & Geoscience

Angelo Kerman

2 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

Rocks aren't sponges full of water; they're hard to squeeze and process to get the water out. It's a slow process too.

Yeah. I think the point I was trying to convey in that post was to not rely on the OPAL for producing those resources with any measure of speed.

Unfortunately it doesn't look like I'll get everything I want done before today, so I will wait until next week to kick out my mod updates. Hopefully by then KSP 1.6 will have a hotfix as well. Better to take the time to squash bugs than to kick something out, go on vacation, and have a bunch of complaints to deal with. Meanwhile, here's a preview of Sandcastle Part 1:

t5uRtvT.png

Happy Holidays! :)

15 hours ago, SmarterThanMe said:

OK. I've been dealing with my daughters and nieces all day, and now I've done a reinstall after a fairly lengthy absence... How do you create ResearchKits again?

It's a converter in the Doc/Watney; should be the case no matter what mode of the mod you're using. Needs Ore and EC to work, so you'll have to hook up a Gold Digger, Claimjumper, Buffalo Drill or stock drill to your base as well (Claimjumper works best in my experience but go with whatever works for you). 

Pathfinder 1.32.0.0 is now available.
GitHub URL: https://github.com/Angel-125/Pathfinder/releases/tag/v1.32.0.0

Changes

At long last Project Sandcastle is here! Part 1 contains a new line of 12.5-meter diameter parts and associated accessories designed for more permanent bases. The first part, the Castillo, is one you're already familiar with. It has undergone many revisions to find the right look and feel. This release builds upon the Castillo by delivering a factory, storage depot, and observatory- with working telescope if you install Tarsier or CactEye! In addition, there are new support buildings including the Ground Station and A.R.C. Fusion Reactor, as well as a new walkway. All of these parts start out as standard shipping crates that are then assembled with resources- be sure to turn on resource distribution.

New Boxed Parts - These parts all start out as Buckboard-sized packing boxes and require resources to assemble.
- Castillo Depot (Composites): This is a 12.5m diameter warehouse with a 200,000-liter omni storage capacity. You can show or hide the roof to stack additional depots, and you can mesh switch between crew hatches (the default) and solid walls.
- Castillo Observatory (Composites): This 12.5m diameter part takes over the Castillo's science data generation for labs, Pipelines, and prospecting, and GoldStrike prospecting bonus. It also has a working telescope- provided that you have the Tarsier (preferred) or CactEye telescope mod installed.
- Castillo Factory (Composites): This large factory has very efficient omni converters. It takes over the efficiency improvements produced by the Castillo, and it has built-in support for OSE Workshop and EL Workshop. There's even a Christmas bonus for CRP users. NOTE: You're on your own for future CRP support, I've switched over to Classic Stock and do use CRP anymore. CRP has been legacy for some time now...
- Castillo Adapter (Composites): This boxed part is an adapter between 12.5m parts and 3.75m parts.
- Ground Station (Composites): This boxed part is designed to form part of a Deep Space Network on a local planet when you're far away from the KSC. It also generates trajectory data for the Pipeline mass driver. The Ground Station can track objects targeted by the vessel or a random target.
- A.R.C. Fusion Reactor (Specialized Electrics): Unlike the portable prototype fusion reactor found in the Hacienda's Solar Flare, this permanent installation generates a lot more ElectricCharge. Bonus: You can turn off the particle effects via the Part Action Window to improve rendering performance.
- Walkway (Advanced Exploration): This boxed part assembles into a walkway that adds space between base parts. It also has a roof rack for attaching accessories.

Revised Parts
- Remodeled the Pipeline Mass Driver to make it much easier to attach to your base.
- Remodeled the Castillo to use the new look for konkrete parts.
- The Rangeland now has underground storage for RocketParts and can recycle vessels on the pad.

Bug Fixes & Enhancements
- The Pipeline's launch azimuth is now restricted to a few degrees to the left or right of where the barrel points. You can turn this restriction off in KSC's Settings menu (accessed when you press the ESC key).

ok couple of questions i tried to find but my forumfoo is lacking. 

When you put down a base, whats the fastest way to make koncrete, i remember a bulldoser part or something, but i cant see it.
Also whare do you put it, do i just need to setup 3 chuckwagons while building to aquire the koncrete, or is there a way im missing? 

Lastly, and i figure you wont answer this and thats cool, but the sancastle printer.... will it be like a sph but on the ground in the world where you can build and attach things in real time? or attach things that are built or in inventory? cause i have insane useses for a drone like that! :p

10 hours ago, Space Kadet said:

When you put down a base, whats the fastest way to make koncrete, i remember a bulldoser part or something, but i cant see it.
Also whare do you put it, do i just need to setup 3 chuckwagons while building to aquire the koncrete, or is there a way im missing? 

Lastly, and i figure you wont answer this and thats cool, but the sancastle printer.... will it be like a sph but on the ground in the world where you can build and attach things in real time? or attach things that are built or in inventory? cause i have insane useses for a drone like that! :p

You can make Konkrete through the Buffalo ISRU or one of the OmniConverter templates. You can even convert Rock to Konkrete. Just store the stuff in Chuckwagons and turn on resource distribution.

As for the 3D printer, I'm aiming for something like this:

og_lunar-settlement-nasa.jpg

.. that you place on a Buffalo chassis or some other rover part.

I may just be overlooking it, but is there a listing or indication of assembly cost anywhere in game or out game for the inflatable modules? It would be very helpful to have this, maybe even in the description of each item so that it's easier to plan a base or just engineer your rockets to carry the requisite supplies in addition to the modules themselves. For now I've been doing a test launch and noting how much is missing after assembly of each module I plan to take.

Edited by splatteredred

4 hours ago, splatteredred said:

I may just be overlooking it, but is there a listing or indication of assembly cost anywhere in game or out game for the inflatable modules? It would be very helpful to have this, maybe even in the description of each item so that it's easier to plan a base or just engineer your rockets to carry the requisite supplies in addition to the modules themselves. For now I've been doing a test launch and noting how much is missing after assembly of each module I plan to take.

You can find this information in the configuration files; it doesn't vary between modes of the mod unless I'm very much mistaken.

Here's a rundown:

Spoiler

Pondarosa: 900 Equipment
Doc: 1200 Equipment. Defaults to Lab setting - if printing them on site, you'll need 1200 for the initial inflation and another 1200 to change to another configuration.
Casa: 600 Equipment. Defaults to Geology Lab setting - if you're printing them on site, you'll need 600 for the initial inflation and another 600 to change to another configuration.
Chuckwagon: 0, believe it or not. Generally changing the configuration is free; making a Battery is an exception that costs 250 Equipment.
Hacienda: 2000 Equipment. Default is the Ironworks. These vary a bit - a Brew Works costs 2000, a Claimjumper costs 4000, a Clockworks is 2000, a Hot Springs is 3000, a Nuke Works is 2000 and a Solar Flare is 3000.
Rangeland: 2000 Equipment
Pipeline: 20000 Equipment and 2000 Konkrete
Castillo: 20000 Konkrete and 2000 Equipment

Caveat here is that this information is for Pathfinder 1.31.1.0, which is not the latest version. I'm still using 1.5.1 at the moment pending mod updates, which is why I have yet to switch.

Also bear in mind that if you configure a module in the VAB/SPH ahead of time, you just have to worry about the inflation cost of the module. If you print them up on site, you have to inflate it at the rate of the default configuration for the facility, and then change it for the cost of the configuration you want. Building a new Claimjumper on site therefore has the highest overall Equipment cost of any of the inflatable modules. 

Finally, the productivity rating of your base will affect the cost (either that or the experience level of your engineers; it's hard to tell because the two strongly correlate to one another). A higher productivity rating will reduce the cost more effectively.

On 12/30/2018 at 2:40 AM, Space Kadet said:

Konkrete is dependent on the mode of the mod you're using. Water, Slag and Power are required in Classic Stock and CRP. In Classic Stock, Minerite is also needed, while in CRP it's Minerals. The Brew Works is the facility that produces it either way. Konkrete production needs this -

1. A base with a positive productivity rating. This means smart and/or experienced kerbals placed in inflatable modules suited to their specialties (scientists in Docs, engineers in Haciendas, pilots generally out of the way somewhere...seriously, I haven't determined where they go just yet. Casas maybe).

2. One storage unit for Minerals and one for Slag, or an OmniStorage unit handling both. Without these, you won't be getting either resource (and therefore no Konkrete). I recommend a Chuckwagon(s).

3. At least one Brew Works (obviously). Multiple units in use at one time will increase the rate at which you produce Konkrete; in practice I've never had more than 2 Brew Works going at my bases. You'll also want at least one Claim Jumper. You'll want its Prospector unit turned on (which generates Slag as a by-product provided you have positive vessel productivity; as best I can tell the Claim Jumper's drills make Minerals/Minerite on their own, which reminds me...)

3A. The Prospector unit on a Geology Lab will also fill the bill. Just saying.

4. A site with a Minerals/Minerite content of not zero. Can't stress that one enough.

5. At least one storage unit for Konkrete (again, I recommend Chuckwagons). If your goal is sufficient Konkrete for a Castillo, you'll need 3-4 Chuckwagons dedicated solely to Konkrete.

Edited by capi3101

Quick question: How do you gather/produce Compressed Atm and how do you store it? I want to use those handy Compressed Air RCS thrusters, but I can't seem to get them to fire. I also can't reconfigure tanks to hold the resource.

Edited by Gyrfalcon5

3 hours ago, Gyrfalcon5 said:

Quick question: How do you gather/produce Compressed Atm and how do you store it? I want to use those handy Compressed Air RCS thrusters, but I can't seem to get them to fire. I also can't reconfigure tanks to hold the resource.

The only parts that I know of that gather and store compressed atm are in the Heisenberg airship mod. the large blimp reaction wheel parts generate it, and store an amount. Not sure which other parts from that mod do, if any, but if you want to use those air rcs bits on other craft you should be able to copy the relevant modules from the airship mod, to some other part you choose to make them work.

4 minutes ago, capi3101 said:

Here's a question - I could use Pathfinder in Classic Stock Mode but still use the CRP mod if I wanted to, right? Are there any known issues in setting my game up like that? Just thinking ahead here.

The biggest issues you'll run into are the large number of resources, and conflicts with SCANSat if you use that, but technically you could use Classic Stock along with CRP for other mods.

38 minutes ago, capi3101 said:

Here's a question - I could use Pathfinder in Classic Stock Mode but still use the CRP mod if I wanted to, right? Are there any known issues in setting my game up like that? Just thinking ahead here.

I'm using both because there just aren't the compatibility patches out there for everything. I customized my SCANSat choices to give me all the Classic Stock stuff and cleared out some of the CRP ones from the scan that I didn't need for anything. So far so good, and nothing has seemed to scream at me.

5 minutes ago, Krakatoa said:

I'm using both because there just aren't the compatibility patches out there for everything. I customized my SCANSat choices to give me all the Classic Stock stuff and cleared out some of the CRP ones from the scan that I didn't need for anything. So far so good, and nothing has seemed to scream at me.

There is some overlap in resources between Classic Stock and CRP. In such cases, Classic Stock is the nice neighbor and defers to the CRP definition. Glad to hear that you have SCANSat patched. :) Also, even though I'm not really working on CRP in my mods any more, I did recently add an OmniConverter setup for CRP.

Edited by Angel-125