[Min KSP: 1.12.2] Pathfinder - Space Camping & Geoscience

Angelo Kerman

5 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

Edit: Just looked at the python script, it does, it does! :) Now, how to use it?

I don't know about Windows (though I'm sure it's similar), on Linux: "python wheel.py wheelmodel.mu > wheel.cfg" to get the config file, edit it, then "python wheel.py wheelmodel.mu wheel.cfg" (note the > in the first command and lack of > in the second) to write a new wheel model file with the new parameters. wheel.py always writes to wheelout.mu so you don't lose the original.

Wanted to share a craft file that I spent a bit of time working on.

It will get you to the Mun with 3 kerbals and everything you need to put together a functioning Pathfinder base for semi self sustainability, the parts to build a Buffalo and give you a Kerbin return vehicle as the last stage that can get everyone home.

Mission Profile: (Establish a survey scanner in polar Mun orbit first)

1. Launch at full power
  2. At 200m/s reduce center engine to 80% thrust
  3. Target a smooth pitch maneuver to reach 45 degrees pitch at 12000 m
  4. Jettison empty SRB's
  5. Jettison empty LRB's and increase center engine to max thrust
  6. Jettison launch fairing above 60km 
  7. Jettison center booster when empty
  8. Enter stable Kerbin orbit at 75km using transfer stage
  9. Transfer burn to Mun with transfer stage
  10. Circularize Mun orbit at 20km with transfer stage
  11. Align orbit to landing site with transfer stage
  12. Jettison Transfer stage before deorbit burn
  13. Land on Mun with ~ 850dv from Mun Descent Vehicle (MDV)
  14. KIS to build Buffalo
  15. KIS to build base
  16. Scavenge supplies, radiators, waste container, Liquid fuel and oxidizer and batteries from Mun Descent stage to be used on base, leaving oxidizer and liquid fuel in Mun Ascent Vehicle (MAV) main tank full for optional return to Kerbin.
  17. Have fun!

Required Mods

KIS

KAS

KOS

MechJeb

Stock Bugfix Plus

TACLS

Universal Storage

Pathfinder

OSE Workshop

Download Craft File

Edited by Buzz313th

2 hours ago, taniwha said:

I don't know about Windows (though I'm sure it's similar), on Linux: "python wheel.py wheelmodel.mu > wheel.cfg" to get the config file, edit it, then "python wheel.py wheelmodel.mu wheel.cfg" (note the > in the first command and lack of > in the second) to write a new wheel model file with the new parameters. wheel.py always writes to wheelout.mu so you don't lose the original.

This really helped, thanks! Now I can get my wheels in line with stock wheels. :)

1 hour ago, Buzz313th said:

Wanted to share a craft file that I spent a bit of time working on.

It will get you to the Mun with 3 kerbals and everything you need to put together a functioning Pathfinder base for semi self sustainability, the parts to build a Buffalo and give you a Kerbin return vehicle as the last stage that can get everyone home.

Mission Profile: (Establish a survey scanner in polar Mun orbit first)

1. Launch at full power
  2. At 200m/s reduce center engine to 80% thrust
  3. Target a smooth pitch maneuver to reach 45 degrees pitch at 12000 m
  4. Jettison empty SRB's
  5. Jettison empty LRB's and increase center engine to max thrust
  6. Jettison launch fairing above 60km 
  7. Jettison center booster when empty
  8. Enter stable Kerbin orbit at 75km using transfer stage
  9. Transfer burn to Mun with transfer stage
  10. Circularize Mun orbit at 20km with transfer stage
  11. Align orbit to landing site with transfer stage
  12. Jettison Transfer stage before deorbit burn
  13. Land on Mun with ~ 850dv from Mun Descent Vehicle (MDV)
  14. KIS to build Buffalo
  15. KIS to build base
  16. Scavenge supplies, radiators, waste container, Liquid fuel and oxidizer and batteries from Mun Descent stage to be used on base, leaving oxidizer and liquid fuel in Mun Ascent Vehicle (MAV) main tank full for optional return to Kerbin.
  17. Have fun!

Required Mods

KIS

KAS

KOS

MechJeb

Stock Bugfix Plus

TACLS

Universal Storage

Pathfinder

OSE Workshop

Download Craft File

Awesome, thanks for sharing this. :)

Hey Angel,

Experimenting with a base on the Mun and I'm curious if your input values for the composter and water Filter are as intended?

The composter needs...

waste water @ 1.25/sec  (Isn't this a bit high considering the following?)

waste 0.1/sec

Minerals 0.04/sec

for 1 organics/sec

Same for the water filter.

Waste water seems a bit high when compared to needed waste input.

Thanks

11 hours ago, Buzz313th said:

Hey Angel,

Experimenting with a base on the Mun and I'm curious if your input values for the composter and water Filter are as intended?

The composter needs...

waste water @ 1.25/sec  (Isn't this a bit high considering the following?)

waste 0.1/sec

Minerals 0.04/sec

for 1 organics/sec

Same for the water filter.

Waste water seems a bit high when compared to needed waste input.

Thanks

Yup, that's intended. It was based upon the resource mass of waste water, waste, and minerals.

1 hour ago, Denko666 said:

Photoalbum of the mission to Duna.

https://flic.kr/s/aHskqys5WB

Wow, loving the photo album, thanks for sharing! :)

4 hours ago, AdmiralTigerclaw said:

*Pops In*

Hey angel, been out of the loop for a few months, but I just skimmed the thread since the last time I was on.  The cooling tower looks awesome.  And it's neat to see the Strip Mining station incorporated in the Hacienda.

Glad you like them. :) The cooling tower was needed due to changes in the game's heat mechanics. I'm slowly adding them into the various parts. I haven't decided if the converters should generate heat as well. Anyway, the cooling tower needs some work to allow you to vent water for rapid cooling. Also, I wanted to name the Claw Marks the Claimjumper but I wasn't sure if you'd be ok with that; the config file already lists you as one of the authors. :)

12 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

Glad you like them. :) The cooling tower was needed due to changes in the game's heat mechanics. I'm slowly adding them into the various parts. I haven't decided if the converters should generate heat as well. Anyway, the cooling tower needs some work to allow you to vent water for rapid cooling. Also, I wanted to name the Claw Marks the Claimjumper but I wasn't sure if you'd be ok with that; the config file already lists you as one of the authors. :)

Feel free to use the name.

I also wanted to use the name 'Old Faithful' for the cooling tower, and I have a file sitting around named 'Baron' for a fuel refinery (real fuel processes), and a larger geothermal plant concept called 'Yellowstone'.

9 hours ago, AdmiralTigerclaw said:

Feel free to use the name.

I also wanted to use the name 'Old Faithful' for the cooling tower, and I have a file sitting around named 'Baron' for a fuel refinery (real fuel processes), and a larger geothermal plant concept called 'Yellowstone'.

Wonderful, thank you much. :)

I have not downloaded this mod yet, but I am definitely considering it.

I have a question, is there an inflatable module in the Mod that allows you to 3D print new modules Via OSE Workshop?

If so, this mod will be on my computer in under a minute.

1 hour ago, Buzz313th said:

Angel,

Why is the Metallic Ore indicating unavailable when the orbital survey scanner indicates 2.3%?

http://imgur.com/YFqwbhj

It depends upon the local resource content as reported by the game's resource map. If it's at or near zero then you'll see "Unavailable."

1 hour ago, DMSP said:

I have not downloaded this mod yet, but I am definitely considering it.

I have a question, is there an inflatable module in the Mod that allows you to 3D print new modules Via OSE Workshop?

If so, this mod will be on my computer in under a minute.

Pathfinder has two such modules. The Blacksmith, which is a template of the Ponderosa/Casa, and the Clockworks, which is a template of the Hacienda. Links to the Wiki page provided. :) There is currently a bug where the Blacksmith/Clockworks can't open the recycler from the Operations screen but you can access them from the context menu.

Edited by Angel-125

25 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

It depends upon the local resource content as reported by the game's resource map. If it's at or near zero then you'll see "Unavailable."

Pathfinder has two such modules. The Blacksmith, which is a template of the Ponderosa/Casa, and the Clockworks, which is a template of the Hacienda. Links to the Wiki page provided. :) There is currently a bug where the Blacksmith/Clockworks can't open the recycler from the Operations screen but you can access them from the context menu.

Yes, thank you!

This is going straight to my downloads list.

I have been using this mod for a little while and finally built my first Mun base with it. I put everything on it just to test all the modules that go with this (just dled OSE to try that out). I'm having an issue with the Smoke Stack. For the life of me, it will not attach to ANY of the hab module ports. Is there a special way to utilize this? Is it specific to what it attaches to? But all in all, I think I've found my habitation mod and it comes with an awesome rover, too. I love that thing!

2 minutes ago, lynwoodm said:

I have been using this mod for a little while and finally built my first Mun base with it. I put everything on it just to test all the modules that go with this (just dled OSE to try that out). I'm having an issue with the Smoke Stack. For the life of me, it will not attach to ANY of the hab module ports. Is there a special way to utilize this? Is it specific to what it attaches to? But all in all, I think I've found my habitation mod and it comes with an awesome rover, too. I love that thing!

Glad you like the mod. :) I have a lot more work to do on it but it's getting there. The Smoke Pipe is installed like any other module; just grab it from your storage, carry it to one of the connection ports via an Engineer, and then bolt it into place. Be sure to press "R" to switch from surface attach node to "Mount" node. If you're still having trouble, please post some screenshots so I can see what's going on.

Unrelated note: My main Duna base finally had a case of the Kraken after being securely attached to the ground for a long time (luckily I salvaged it, but it's time to move the base anyway). It's a large sprawling base and I think that in itself may be part of the problem. My supply depot base had a similar problem and now rests comfortably on the surface, but it happened right away. I'm guessing that it's a matter of time before you have an issue. I know others have had similar issues, so I may have to come up with a way to have bases sit on the ground to begin with.

2 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

Glad you like the mod. :) I have a lot more work to do on it but it's getting there. The Smoke Pipe is installed like any other module; just grab it from your storage, carry it to one of the connection ports via an Engineer, and then bolt it into place. Be sure to press "R" to switch from surface attach node to "Mount" node. If you're still having trouble, please post some screenshots so I can see what's going on.

Unrelated note: My main Duna base finally had a case of the Kraken after being securely attached to the ground for a long time (luckily I salvaged it, but it's time to move the base anyway). It's a large sprawling base and I think that in itself may be part of the problem. My supply depot base had a similar problem and now rests comfortably on the surface, but it happened right away. I'm guessing that it's a matter of time before you have an issue. I know others have had similar issues, so I may have to come up with a way to have bases sit on the ground to begin with.

Will do. Get back with you if the problem still persists. 

On 12/10/2015, 11:59:16, Angel-125 said:

Seems like the issue fixed itself, which only leads me to believe it's a KAS issue and not an issue with your mod. Because, I've experienced not being able to connect parts to other KIS base parts and even pressing r to node and trying to attach free handed, the object to attach was red and couldn't be attached. But, everything works as normal, except for one thing. I warped a couple of notches to see if the clockwork mp factory was producing things in the que only to have it blow up, even with a smoke pipe attached to the base for heat. And sometimes, the strip miner doesn't have an option to activate. Again, might be just one of things where you have to quick save and quick load to see if it shows up. More to come as I further experiment. 

49 minutes ago, lynwoodm said:

Seems like the issue fixed itself, which only leads me to believe it's a KAS issue and not an issue with your mod. Because, I've experienced not being able to connect parts to other KIS base parts and even pressing r to node and trying to attach free handed, the object to attach was red and couldn't be attached. But, everything works as normal, except for one thing. I warped a couple of notches to see if the clockwork mp factory was producing things in the que only to have it blow up, even with a smoke pipe attached to the base for heat. And sometimes, the strip miner doesn't have an option to activate. Again, might be just one of things where you have to quick save and quick load to see if it shows up. More to come as I further experiment. 

Definitely need to be careful with timewarp, especially with large bases and ships. I think KSP has issues with large sprawling bases and eventually the Kraken will get you when a collider gets stuck in the ground. I'd guess that it's a problem with any base building mod...

I tend to pause at 5x timewarp before returning to 1x and that seems to help.

The strip miner issue might be a result of placement, try moving the module around and see if that helps. :)