[Min KSP: 1.12.2] Pathfinder - Space Camping & Geoscience

Angelo Kerman

10 minutes ago, Geschosskopf said:

OK, will try that for 1 and 3.

However, I believe you're mistaken about #2.  The switchback has a node on the top, in the middle of the solar panel.  It's the only place the Sombrero will attach.  If you try to surface-attach the Sombrero to anything at all, you get a message saying it can't be surface-attached, only node-attached.  That's what I would like to see changed.

What tool are you using to do the attachment?

The Sombrero and Telegraph and Gaslight cannot be surface-attached due to the way KIS works. If you drop the surface-attachable part on the ground, they tend to explode (or used to). By not surface attaching them, I stopped the explosions. Those parts are meant to be static attached to the ground.

1 hour ago, Geschosskopf said:

OK, will try that for 1 and 3.

However, I believe you're mistaken about #2.  The switchback has a node on the top, in the middle of the solar panel.  It's the only place the Sombrero will attach.  If you try to surface-attach the Sombrero to anything at all, you get a message saying it can't be surface-attached, only node-attached.  That's what I would like to see changed.

yeah i see your point, it only node attaches or attaches to the ground. but if you use the switchback 2 for the moment you can pipe connect it to that. nosent change the attachment, but its a good work around

8 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

The Sombrero and Telegraph and Gaslight cannot be surface-attached due to the way KIS works. If you drop the surface-attachable part on the ground, they tend to explode (or used to). By not surface attaching them, I stopped the explosions. Those parts are meant to be static attached to the ground.

Well, the simpler solution would be to NOT drop those parts.  They are fragile, after all :)   I'd rather have the odd clumsy drop explode a part than the Kraken eat the whole base because I had to leave things stuck to the ground and connected with KAS pipes.

The underlying problem is the absence of node on all but a few Pathfinder parts.  The only inflatable with a node is the Ponderosa.  To get other nodes, you have to add Switchbacks, which take up a lot of storage volume, or Saddles, which take up a lot of weight AND need permanent pipes.

Hmmm, maybe that radial decoupler in the Buffalo set would solve the problem.  Stick that to the inflatable, then stick the Sombrero to the decoupler's node.  And remember never to accidentally hit SPACE while the base was focused....

Edited by Geschosskopf

5 hours ago, Geschosskopf said:

Well, the simpler solution would be to NOT drop those parts.  They are fragile, after all :)   I'd rather have the odd clumsy drop explode a part than the Kraken eat the whole base because I had to leave things stuck to the ground and connected with KAS pipes.

The underlying problem is the absence of node on all but a few Pathfinder parts.  The only inflatable with a node is the Ponderosa.  To get other nodes, you have to add Switchbacks, which take up a lot of storage volume, or Saddles, which take up a lot of weight AND need permanent pipes.

Hmmm, maybe that radial decoupler in the Buffalo set would solve the problem.  Stick that to the inflatable, then stick the Sombrero to the decoupler's node.  And remember never to accidentally hit SPACE while the base was focused....

i use buffalo parts to create what you looking for the chassy cramework can be attached to nodes on pathfinder tents and used fofr sompreros, and maybe a loat of rtgs when you mess up..... like i did, 
heres my example, but its attached to the side of the round base but it has worked on pathfinder too!

it starts dead on my example

3 hours ago, Space Kadet said:

i use buffalo parts to create what you looking for the chassy cramework can be attached to nodes on pathfinder tents and used fofr sompreros, and maybe a loat of rtgs when you mess up..... like i did, 
heres my example, but its attached to the side of the round base but it has worked on pathfinder too!

Nifty base.

But the thing is, the most Kraken-resistant base in KSP is one made of a collection of small, separate, unconnected modules.  That's the reason @Angel-125 introduced the whole "wireless" resource distribution system in Pathfinder.  If you physically connect base modules together, each time you load physics on the base, phantom forces build up until eventually the base explodes.  If the base is on wheels or legs, or anchored to the ground, or you leave it connected with KAS pipes, the sooner this happens.

At present, however, making an unconnected base powered by solar panels is only possible if you use the Conestoga central hub, so you can attach regular solar panels (such as Gigantors) to the hub.  All very good, but this pretty much limits you to airless worlds.  If you don't have a Conestoga (IOW you pull the base pieces out of a Buckboard of an atmospheric world), then each module has only 1 node for the Sombrero, on the top of each Ponderosa box.  Because atmospheres (to say nothing of distance from the sun) reduce solar panel output, you usually need multiple Sombreros to power the base.  But you can't install enough without resorting to 1) ground anchors and 2) permanent KAS pipes.  This defeats the purpose of wireless resource transfer.

1 hour ago, Geschosskopf said:

Nifty base.

But the thing is, the most Kraken-resistant base in KSP is one made of a collection of small, separate, unconnected modules.  That's the reason @Angel-125 introduced the whole "wireless" resource distribution system in Pathfinder.  If you physically connect base modules together, each time you load physics on the base, phantom forces build up until eventually the base explodes.  If the base is on wheels or legs, or anchored to the ground, or you leave it connected with KAS pipes, the sooner this happens.

At present, however, making an unconnected base powered by solar panels is only possible if you use the Conestoga central hub, so you can attach regular solar panels (such as Gigantors) to the hub.  All very good, but this pretty much limits you to airless worlds.  If you don't have a Conestoga (IOW you pull the base pieces out of a Buckboard of an atmospheric world), then each module has only 1 node for the Sombrero, on the top of each Ponderosa box.  Because atmospheres (to say nothing of distance from the sun) reduce solar panel output, you usually need multiple Sombreros to power the base.  But you can't install enough without resorting to 1) ground anchors and 2) permanent KAS pipes.  This defeats the purpose of wireless resource transfer.

ah , i have a soloution/ :P work around,  beams!  you can mount them on the switch back, and mount panels to them

i do get the point with attaching things, but nailing things to a tent wouldent work either, never mind the nightmare of problems in the actually making it work in code. but attaching things to the switchbacks is possible, and as you can see from some of my bases there has only been 2 good explosions between 200 bases and one of them was heat related.

7 hours ago, Space Kadet said:

ah , i have a soloution/ :P work around,  beams!  you can mount them on the switch back, and mount panels to them

Thanks anyway, but KAS/KIS pipes/tubes/struts/whatever are unacceptable as permanent parts of bases.  They are total Kraken bait.  Such bases survive longer on the Minmus flats, due to those being flat as billiards tables, than they do even just off the KSC runway, but eventually the Kraken will claim even Minmus KAS/KIS-connected bases.  OTOH, if your base isn't physically connected at all, it will last essentially forever.  I only use KAS/KIS connections temporarily, to pump inflating inflatables full of Equipment.  Once that's done, I cut the links and rely on the wonderful wireless resource transfer for everything else.

7 hours ago, Space Kadet said:

i do get the point with attaching things, but nailing things to a tent wouldent work either, never mind the nightmare of problems in the actually making it work in code. but attaching things to the switchbacks is possible, and as you can see from some of my bases there has only been 2 good explosions between 200 bases and one of them was heat related.

I don't have a problem with radially attaching stuff to the inflatables.  First, I do it all the time with stock antennae, and the Gold Digger, for that matter.  After all, have you even looked at the IVAs?  All those tables, chairs, cacti, PostIt notes, display screens, cabinets, toilets, etc.  And you can change all that out just by pumping in more Equipment.  So if you can do all that on the inside, and can stick satellite dishes all over the exterior, you should be able to radially attach the Sombrero.   Just don't drop it.  Duh, it's friggin' made of glass and has delicate wiring :D 

i dont seem to get any of those problems, and ive build huge bases on all the atmospheric planets and the mun, dres and minmus. ive had kraken attacks, but as ive said only one with pipes(for path finder, MKS was a different story), these days you are far more likely to have a pipe snap off its mount because of all the upgrades to KIS. And even less likely with Pathfinder because i doesn't work the same as other mods, because the first part of the base is nailed to the floor, everything attached after that is attached to the same anchor point, meaning even if it dose clip into the ground it will adjust instead of doing the kraken 2 step. 

10 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

I like the tilt rotor you made. :) Did you know that the tilt rotors are electric and can be powered by the mini fusion reactor? It is powerful enough for two of the tilt rotor engines...

i did know they where electric, but i did not no that. althow wait till you see my bigun :P

so another thought i had would be a storage profile for enriched uranium in the sall tents, but i figured this would have less capacity than the regular things and equipment cost that was high, because radiation.... could be funny to add a small production bonus to food :P 

so theres a converter int eh sunburn to make fusion pellets from liquid det and he3, but the watney can only make hydro and liquid deut.... any chance of a converter that would make liquid duet and he3 so its more compatible with far future tech? and if you wanna make an insanely expensive way of making metallic hydrogen as well id be cool with that too :D 

and im LOVING the  teenie isru!

whiles im requesting things, would it be difficult to give the greenhouses(heisenberg and buffalo) the manageable templates like the chucks and haciendas have. maybe even another one that just provides a bonus to the first greenhouse for growing things....

4 hours ago, Space Kadet said:

whiles im requesting things, would it be difficult to give the greenhouses(heisenberg and buffalo) the manageable templates like the chucks and haciendas have. maybe even another one that just provides a bonus to the first greenhouse for growing things....

The greenhouse parts weren't intended to be high-capacity producers. They're only to help ease the supply requirements of your craft.

I'd have to see the converter for FFT...

Glad you're liking the mini ISRU! :)

11 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

The greenhouse parts weren't intended to be high-capacity producers. They're only to help ease the supply requirements of your craft.

I'd have to see the converter for FFT...

Glad you're liking the mini ISRU! :)

I get that about non high capacity producers, buUuut ..... you made them convertable into buildings :P i needs a big ass walled space farm.....

Pathfinder 1.15 is now available:

- Far Future Technologies support: NuclearSaltWater used in place of Explodium.
- TAC-LS balancing- thanks Space Kadet! :)
- Fixed missing resource icons
- WBT Update
- Boxed parts (Ranch House, Rangeland, Pipeline) now have a button to Show Resource Requirements needed to assemble the part.

Afraid I'm going to feel stupid...
I have an orbital pipeline attached to a space station in orbit around the Mun. I have a Mass Driver built on the ground connected to my base via a KIS/KAS pipe. I have 260 Mits of data collected on the ground pipe and plenty of power and various resources.
Whenever I click "Schedule A Delivery" on the ground base mass driver it shows the station I want to send to, then it says "Vessel has no resources to send". Doesn't matter if I have power turned on or off (Says A-OK when power is on). It also says the same when I have something in the pipeline's KIS inventory. I tried setting resource distribution to "share" across the base as well (though it is all physically connected except for a remote ISRU drill). So, I find myself stumped as to get a delivery to go. I'd like to send some monopropellant from the ground base to the space station.

17 hours ago, helaeon said:

Afraid I'm going to feel stupid...
I have an orbital pipeline attached to a space station in orbit around the Mun. I have a Mass Driver built on the ground connected to my base via a KIS/KAS pipe. I have 260 Mits of data collected on the ground pipe and plenty of power and various resources.
Whenever I click "Schedule A Delivery" on the ground base mass driver it shows the station I want to send to, then it says "Vessel has no resources to send". Doesn't matter if I have power turned on or off (Says A-OK when power is on). It also says the same when I have something in the pipeline's KIS inventory. I tried setting resource distribution to "share" across the base as well (though it is all physically connected except for a remote ISRU drill). So, I find myself stumped as to get a delivery to go. I'd like to send some monopropellant from the ground base to the space station.

See if 1.16 fixes it. There was a bug fix that somehow didn't get carried over from my laptop.

Pathfinder 1.16

- Fix for Pipeline NRE
- Hides the Show Resource Requirements buttons for assembled parts.
- Fix for the Ranch House's mass when unassembled.