[Min KSP: 1.12.2] Pathfinder - Space Camping & Geoscience

Angelo Kerman

1 hour ago, Angel-125 said:

It's been finicky. Have you tried putting the tourist in the Castillo?

Yeah, all four contract tourists are in the Castillo. There are three crew aboard as well, a pilot, a scientist and an engineer; the pilot and the scientist are in a Blacksmith Pondarosa, while the engineer is parked in a Castillo Factory. My usual base setup:

8SBNHQ4.png

It's an old pic, of course (the Pipeline and old iconography gives it away), and I'm using Classic Stock these days, but the overall configuration hasn't changed much. Pilot has courage and stupidity 0.556/0.690; scientist is 0.211/0.061 and is a badS; engineer is 0.084/0.687 and is also a badS, and none of them have an experience greater than one star (so the base's productivity can't be all that great). 

It does look like the Castillo took the kerbals involved out of the WBI ContractScenario at least - it just didn't reassign the type to Crew and the traits to the pilot/scientist/engineer.

Edited by capi3101

• 4 weeks later...

Pathfinder 1.36.0 is here- now with CKAN support!

Thanks to JadeOfMaar:
- Added EPS Transformer to Arc Reactor. This down-converts ElectroPlasma to ElectricCharge in 1:6 ratio.
- Removed resource ignore lists from (Castillo) Storage Depot so that resources added/used by LS mods can be tweakable in it.
- Updated Sunburn Fusion Lab (CRP) template to have FusionPellets production from D-He3 and from H2O.
- Updated Sunburn Fusion Lab (CRP) template's ISRU Chain (Coolant, Glykerol).

• 3 weeks later...

Got a bit of an issue using Pathfinder 1.36.0 in Classic Stock Mode with KSP v.1.10.0. Problem's with the Blacksmith again; the crafting formulas are all showing up requiring Material Kits but I have no way of making Material Kits in situ anymore. I had thought to use the native OSE parts to manufacture them and that strategy worked for a time, but now even they are making Equipment...

Any kind of configuration file patch I can use to either a) get the OSE parts making Material Kits again or b) change the crafting formulae for Equipment instead of Material Kits? 

2 hours ago, capi3101 said:

Got a bit of an issue using Pathfinder 1.36.0 in Classic Stock Mode with KSP v.1.10.0. Problem's with the Blacksmith again; the crafting formulas are all showing up requiring Material Kits but I have no way of making Material Kits in situ anymore. I had thought to use the native OSE parts to manufacture them and that strategy worked for a time, but now even they are making Equipment...

Any kind of configuration file patch I can use to either a) get the OSE parts making Material Kits again or b) change the crafting formulae for Equipment instead of Material Kits? 

ugh. I think that will require a Module Manager patch to fix.8

6 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

ugh. I think that will require a Module Manager patch to fix.8

If it makes any difference, I'm currently using MM 4.1.4; last I checked Pathfinder was shipping with an older MM version. Should I try rolling it back?

• 4 weeks later...

So I`m trying to install Pathfinder through CKAN and I keep getting an error message saying its conflicting with Buffalo:

* Pathfinder v1.36.1 (cached)
The following inconsistencies were found:
* Pathfinder wishes to install Ships/SPH/Guppy.craft, but this file is registered to Buffalo
* Pathfinder wishes to install Ships/SPH/V-22.craft, but this file is registered to Buffalo
Error during installation!

The Buffalo version CKAN grabed is 2.9.0 if that helps at all.

Seeing the same, though I'm only getting the error message for the Guppy. The mod still works regardless of the CKAN error message, so I'm ignoring it happily. Only started showing up when I updated to the latest CKAN version so I imagine it's a problem with CKAN.

Edited by capi3101

On 12/1/2020 at 5:44 AM, InfamousAsHell said:

So I`m trying to install Pathfinder through CKAN and I keep getting an error message saying its conflicting with Buffalo:

On 12/2/2020 at 8:22 AM, -MadMan- said:

Doesn't work...

On 12/2/2020 at 10:06 AM, capi3101 said:

Seeing the same, though I'm only getting the error message for the Guppy.

Big reminder, folks: Report CKAN problems on the CKAN thread or GitHub, not mod threads:

Someone finally sent us an issue for this today, and we resolved it within 70 minutes.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi @Angel-125, this is a CKAN-related announcement applicable to all of the WildBlueIndustries mods, posted here because there is no overall WBI thread that I can find, but this one has some recent CKAN-related discussion.

We have become aware of a problem with the current CKAN metadata for these mods (which probably goes back as long as they have been on CKAN, and may account for heretofore unexplained user reports of bad outcomes when installing these mods via CKAN). @TheDoghas explained to us "play modes", which it seems were not accounted for either in the original listing or in the recent work to re-index these mods. To sum up, play modes currently are installed and upgraded naïvely, with the .cfg and .txt files in each ZIP installed as-is, both at initial time of install and at upgrade, so any user switching to a non-default play mode and then subsequently upgrading to new versions via CKAN would end up with a jumble of old and new files from different play modes rather than a coherent and correct install.

Our planned fix is here; we would love to have the chance to validate it with you if you can spare some time:

The basic idea is that a CKAN user would have to choose a WBI play mode in CKAN when instaling any WBI mod, and only the files for that play mode would be installed (as .cfg only, renamed by CKAN as needed). This then allows an upgrading user to have the play mode files upgraded to newer versions as needed, and not mixed with files from other play modes.

It's possible that current users will experience some update/upgrade friction from this, as new modules will need to be installed or selected once the latest changes are in place. If that occurs, please refer them to the CKAN thread, or to this comment if you think that knowing that there have been some changes lately might be sufficient.

On 1/3/2021 at 9:46 PM, HebaruSan said:

Hi @Angel-125, this is a CKAN-related announcement applicable to all of the WildBlueIndustries mods, posted here because there is no overall WBI thread that I can find, but this one has some recent CKAN-related discussion.

We have become aware of a problem with the current CKAN metadata for these mods (which probably goes back as long as they have been on CKAN, and may account for heretofore unexplained user reports of bad outcomes when installing these mods via CKAN). @TheDoghas explained to us "play modes", which it seems were not accounted for either in the original listing or in the recent work to re-index these mods. To sum up, play modes currently are installed and upgraded naïvely, with the .cfg and .txt files in each ZIP installed as-is, both at initial time of install and at upgrade, so any user switching to a non-default play mode and then subsequently upgrading to new versions via CKAN would end up with a jumble of old and new files from different play modes rather than a coherent and correct install.

Our planned fix is here; we would love to have the chance to validate it with you if you can spare some time:

The basic idea is that a CKAN user would have to choose a WBI play mode in CKAN when instaling any WBI mod, and only the files for that play mode would be installed (as .cfg only, renamed by CKAN as needed). This then allows an upgrading user to have the play mode files upgraded to newer versions as needed, and not mixed with files from other play modes.

It's possible that current users will experience some update/upgrade friction from this, as new modules will need to be installed or selected once the latest changes are in place. If that occurs, please refer them to the CKAN thread, or to this comment if you think that knowing that there have been some changes lately might be sufficient.

Hi HebaruSan:

Thanks for your diligence in solving the issue with integrating my WBI mods with CKAN. I think the changes you made will work out well and are worth the minor inconvenience.

Thanks again! :)

• 1 month later...
13 hours ago, 123nick said:

With 1.11 having its own inventory system for KSP, will there ever be a version that supports the stock inventory system over KIS? or a patch for use without KIS

Actually, Pathfinder 1.37 is now available:

- KSP 1.11 update
- Add stock inventory support to several parts.

KNOWN ISSUES
- Stack mounting the inflatable parts isn't working with the boxed parts using stock EVA construction. You'll need to surface-attach them instead.

For the most part, Pathfinder works with the new stock inventory system, but it's not perfect. The mod was built around KIS to begin with and it shows. It's also over 5 years old! I am starting to think about a successor to Pathfinder that's specifically designed for the stock inventory and EVA construction- and leverages the skills I've learned since I made the mod. It depends on my available time... But for now, the latest update is working with stock inventory. :)

3 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

Actually, Pathfinder 1.37 is now available:

- KSP 1.11 update

KNOWN ISSUES
- Stack mounting the inflatable parts isn't working with the boxed parts using stock EVA construction. You'll need to surface-attach them instead.

For the most part, Pathfinder works with the new stock inventory system, but it's not perfect. The mod was built around KIS to begin with and it shows. It's also over 5 years old! I am starting to think about a successor to Pathfinder that's specifically designed for the stock inventory and EVA construction- and leverages the skills I've learned since I made the mod. It depends on my available time... But for now, the latest update is working with stock inventory. :)

Thanks! So now KIS isnt a hard dependancy anymore? im definitely gonna use Pathfinder now. 

26 minutes ago, 123nick said:

Thanks! So now KIS isnt a hard dependancy anymore? im definitely gonna use Pathfinder now. 

Not sure if I'd surmise that from the notes.

Doesn't sound like the mod is 100% stock inventory now.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

Nope, you don't. But you do need the BARIS bridge.

Very nice. I will try that mod. The idea to roam the planet to find ressource nodes and build bases for extraction would be a welcomed addition to my game. It will fill a gap there (like all good KSP mods do)

I tried MKS, but really, I got lost somewhere in the wiki :) I just removed it as It was too complex for my taste

I have two questions also :

1) I play also with rational ressources and CRP for ressource distribution. Should I try the CRP playmode? How does it work exactly compared to the stock playmode?

2) Does Pathfinder play well with EPL or simple construction? (You know just to be able to build rockets on site and move the minerals or kerbals to other places)

Edited by Factor_X

Howdy, X.

1 hour ago, Factor_X said:

Very nice. I will try that mod.

The "BARIS Bridge" is only a vital component needed by the other WBI mods to function. It does not contain BARIS itself, so you're free to stick with ScrapYard + Oh scrap. But if you choose BARIS, be sure to read its wiki. It has a lot of Difficulty Settings to play with if you find it's too hard..................or not hard enough, or you're hoping for certain things to behave differently.

1 hour ago, Factor_X said:

I have two questions also :

1) I play also with rational ressources and CRP for ressource distribution. Should I try the CRP playmode? How does it work exactly compared to the stock playmode?

2) Does Pathfinder play well with EPL or simple construction? (You know just to be able to build rockets on site and move the minerals or kerbals to other places)

1. CRP support should be decent enough as Pathfinder has been around a very long time. The only, if not main advantage CRP has over Classic Stock mode is that CRP has every resource under the Sun in case you prefer these, and the most popular mods like the USI or NF suites, where Classic Stock has a pretty narrow selection (which is fine for Angel-125 and myself).
  2. Pathfinder works very well with EL. You're welcome to install EL normally and delete all of its parts except the micro pads and recycle bins (I don't think Pathfinder has alternatives to these). I don't see a problem with SimpleConstruction being installed as well so try these mods together.

11 hours ago, EDS_Pilot said:

I'm having an issue where I don't get buckboard or Buffalo, and I'm downloading from CKAN, any ideas on how to fix it?

Try downloading Buffalo from CKAN directly.

1 hour ago, savageshibainu said:

is there an upgraded tutorial? the one on github is completely outdated and im confused af :|

Not at this time, no. But in general:

You need Equipment to assemble the modules, and you need an Engineer. If you don't want either requirement you can turn them off in the Game Difficulty menu.

The Manage Operations button lets you change the configurations of various modules. It will tell you what the Equipment requirements are.

Pathfinder was designed for KIS, and has some support for stock EVA construction, but definitely use KIS.

It supports CRP as well as Classic Stock Resources. A few pages back there are procedures for how to switch modes.