[Min KSP: 1.12.2] Pathfinder - Space Camping & Geoscience

Angelo Kerman

19 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

Try downloading Buffalo from CKAN directly.

Not at this time, no. But in general:

You need Equipment to assemble the modules, and you need an Engineer. If you don't want either requirement you can turn them off in the Game Difficulty menu.

The Manage Operations button lets you change the configurations of various modules. It will tell you what the Equipment requirements are.

Pathfinder was designed for KIS, and has some support for stock EVA construction, but definitely use KIS.

It supports CRP as well as Classic Stock Resources. A few pages back there are procedures for how to switch modes.

thank you, i'm a little confused on how i'm supposed to actually transfer resources? the outdated tutorial says i need to connect a port from buffalo to the slab, but the slab has no connector ports and the connector pipes don't even seem to exist

Edited by savageshibainu

3 hours ago, savageshibainu said:

thank you, i'm a little confused on how i'm supposed to actually transfer resources? the outdated tutorial says i need to connect a port from buffalo to the slab, but the slab has no connector ports and the connector pipes don't even seem to exist

There should be a button to "Setup Distribution" that will let you distribute resources.

2 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

There should be a button to "Setup Distribution" that will let you distribute resources.

thank you, one more question, is there anyway to attach the conestoga MLM to the ground? it says I should put the module on the ground with nothing underneath but then the base moves at the push of a kerbal

Hi together, I have got a question. I just downloaded this really cool mod, but whenever I wante to build something in the KSC, using this parts, they unfold automatically.  Did I forgot to install something? 

First it looks like this:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OH4VCq4eT16XqGp4RzbdUAvsd13gG6oI/view?usp=sharinghttps://drive.google.com/file/d/1OH4VCq4eT16XqGp4RzbdUAvsd13gG6oI/view?usp=sharing

And then the parts get bigger and bigger....

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NdKzlOxrn8nBddier15k-0ZagpO9Uji3/view?usp=sharing

Would be great if somebody could help me.

@Jak_1 Make sure that inside of your WildBlueIndustries folder you also have these folders: 000ABARISBridgeDoNotDelete, 000WildBlueTools. You may have to download WildBlueTools from its own GitHub in order to get those. The Pathfinder download seems to be missing these things now. (This might be due to the CKAN arrangement.)

On 3/15/2021 at 10:31 PM, savageshibainu said:

thank you, one more question, is there anyway to attach the conestoga MLM to the ground? it says I should put the module on the ground with nothing underneath but then the base moves at the push of a kerbal

There should be a "parking brake" button on the Constoga's part action window. That should prevent it from moving around. Unfortunately KSP has some slippery ground now...

29 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

There should be a "parking brake" button on the Constoga's part action window <snip/>

Last time I checked it was listed as "airbrake" or something like that. I'd be careful using it - I've had more than one base spontaneously combust from having left it on when I've left to go to some other craft and come back. Levitation can also occur.

Been too long since I've played KSP; my old work laptop just hasn't got the firepower to cut these later versions anymore and the kids/wife hog the home laptop...

22 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Make sure that inside of your WildBlueIndustries folder you also have these folders: 000ABARISBridgeDoNotDelete, 000WildBlueTools

Thank you, I've done this, and now it works!

One more question, is there any  updated Tutorial?

I'm struggling placing the parts, is there any trick to connect the parts nicely with the others?

I've built a little vessel, just to to become familiar with it, but it doesn't work.....

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LzfaWn6iRF0TOkpnyGtfTEDPyRLguVGW/view?usp=sharing

Here is a picture, I  tried to connect the tunnel piece with the rest somehow, but it didn't work...

Hi, this is a pretty big mod - I only want the atmospheric scoops and base connecting tubes.

What parts folder would they be located in? :/ 

Thx

Edited by SpaceX_Boi

7 hours ago, master07 said:

love your mod, but there's NO PORT on my saddle part, can you please help me

The port is from the early days of the mod; alas that changes to KIS over the years made the port  on the Saddle go away. Best advice I can give you is to pack a pair of Mineshaft crew ports. Go ahead and attach your Saddle to the ground and put a Pondarosa on it, then attach one Mineshaft to the top and another to your Equipment source. Should be able to mash go at that point.

Quicksave before you attach the Saddle to the ground or the Pondy to the Saddle; I've had issues with spontaneous combustion in the past with both activities.

Hopefully you get this reply before you've got something off-Kerbin...

Edited by capi3101

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just downloaded this with CKAN, using the simplified mode just to get a feel for the mod. Got Snacks installed as well. What I can't quite work out is what is required for the base to be able to start producing snacks - both the Hacienda and Chuckwagon have greenhouse configurations, and I'm guessing some sort of resource input is needed as well, but I've not seen anything in the UI of either module.

1 hour ago, Telvee32 said:

Just downloaded this with CKAN, using the simplified mode just to get a feel for the mod. Got Snacks installed as well. What I can't quite work out is what is required for the base to be able to start producing snacks - both the Hacienda and Chuckwagon have greenhouse configurations, and I'm guessing some sort of resource input is needed as well, but I've not seen anything in the UI of either module.

Simplified Mode and Pristine Mode, unless I'm mistaken, don't have the necessary underlying templates in place for Snack Production - you'll either need Classic Stock or CRP mode to make snacks in-situ.  The inputs are Water, Compost/Fertilizer (depending on which mode) and Electric Charge.  

16 hours ago, capi3101 said:

Simplified Mode and Pristine Mode, unless I'm mistaken, don't have the necessary underlying templates in place for Snack Production - you'll either need Classic Stock or CRP mode to make snacks in-situ.  The inputs are Water, Compost/Fertilizer (depending on which mode) and Electric Charge.  

OK, I'm now trying to do a clean install of the mod using CRP play mode, and CKAN spits this out at me. 

Pathfinder-PlayMode-CRP v1.37.0 depends on WildBlue-PlayMode-CRP, which is not compatible with the currently installed game version

Same error if I try classic stock. KSP version is 1.11.2. I do have Community Resource Pack installed.

Edited by Telvee32

12 hours ago, Telvee32 said:

OK, I'm now trying to do a clean install of the mod using CRP play mode, and CKAN spits this out at me. 

Pathfinder-PlayMode-CRP v1.37.0 depends on WildBlue-PlayMode-CRP, which is not compatible with the currently installed game version

Same error if I try classic stock. KSP version is 1.11.2. I do have Community Resource Pack installed.

Oh boy...this one I'm not sure I can help you with. I want to say they (i.e. Angel) made a change a version or two ago that let you pick what mode you wanted to play with on CKAN. I could be completely and totally wrong about this. The old way of dealing with the problem was to fire up KSP, switch to Pristine Mode, quit, fire up KSP, then switch to whatever the final mode it was that you wanted to use. I don't know if that would still work or not.

13 hours ago, Telvee32 said:

When you say clean install, have you removed Simplified first?

EDIT: As a guess, maybe you still have WildBlue-PlayMode-Simplified installed? That would conflict with WildBlue-PlayMode-CRP and explain the above message.

Edited by HebaruSan

8 hours ago, HebaruSan said:

When you say clean install, have you removed Simplified first?

EDIT: As a guess, maybe you still have WildBlue-PlayMode-Simplified installed? That would conflict with WildBlue-PlayMode-CRP and explain the above message.

Thanks, that helped - I'd fully removed Pathfinder (including the Simplified play mode) but Wild Blue Simplified was still hiding there, so getting rid of that fixed the issue.

Also, how well does this tend to play with Parallax terrain? I started first with a Conestoga, and applied the airpark. Went to tracking station, reloaded the craft and it remained on the ground. Then I sent more modules, and attached a Ponderosa to a saddle, which was attached to the ground, and connected it to the Conestoga with a mineshaft. I reloaded the craft once again, and came back to find the whole thing floating a little way above the ground, including the saddle which was supposed to be attached to the ground.

Is this just KAS getting confused with Parallax?

Image for reference: https://imgur.com/a/I3SJAcB

EDIT: Also can't quite work out how to get the resources needed for the greenhouses, the drills only have the stock Ore option. I've not actually used CRP before so I'm likely to be missing something.

Edited by Telvee32

7 hours ago, Telvee32 said:

Also, how well does this tend to play with Parallax terrain? I started first with a Conestoga, and applied the airpark. Went to tracking station, reloaded the craft and it remained on the ground. Then I sent more modules, and attached a Ponderosa to a saddle, which was attached to the ground, and connected it to the Conestoga with a mineshaft. I reloaded the craft once again, and came back to find the whole thing floating a little way above the ground, including the saddle which was supposed to be attached to the ground.

Is this just KAS getting confused with Parallax?

Image for reference: https://imgur.com/a/I3SJAcB

EDIT: Also can't quite work out how to get the resources needed for the greenhouses, the drills only have the stock Ore option. I've not actually used CRP before so I'm likely to be missing something.

Ah, the old floating base bug...I don't know what causes it, but it's not a specific interaction with any other mods; it'll do that with stock terrain too. Not all the time either. My advice: on high-gravity worlds, pack a ladder.

The alternative is watching your base spontaneously combust for no damn reason on loading. Between the option of that or putting up with a self-levitating base, I tend to wanna go with levitation...

As far as getting resources is concerned, attach a storage unit dedicated to whatever it is that you want to be digging up. Chuckwagons are your best bet - you either want one configured specifically for that resource, or an OmniStorage unit with that resource added to it (IIRC OmniStorage in CRP mode is only available with the Castillos, so you'll probably need the dedicated Wagon).

Edited by capi3101

16 minutes ago, capi3101 said:

Ah, the old floating base bug...I don't know what causes it, but it's not a specific interaction with any other mods; it'll do that with stock terrain too. Not all the time either. My advice: on high-gravity worlds, pack a ladder.

The alternative is watching your base spontaneously combust for no damn reason on loading. Between the option of that or putting up with a self-levitating base, I tend to wanna go with levitation...

As far as getting resources is concerned, attach a storage unit dedicated to whatever it is that you want to be digging up. Chuckwagons are your best bet - you either want one configured specifically for that resource, or an OmniStorage unit with that resource added to it (IIRC OmniStorage in CRP mode is only available with the Castillos, so you'll probably need the dedicated Wagon).

Regarding the resources - do I just use the drill? I've reconfigured one of the Chuckwagons to hold dirt (so it has 16k dirt storage available) but the drill still only has "Start Surface Harvester" (i.e., Ore) available.

13 minutes ago, Telvee32 said:

Regarding the resources - do I just use the drill? I've reconfigured one of the Chuckwagons to hold dirt (so it has 16k dirt storage available) but the drill still only has "Start Surface Harvester" (i.e., Ore) available.

Yeah, just turn on your drills and you should start seeing whatever resources you've got in the biome in which you're parked flow into your base, provided you've got somewhere to store them. Which is when I should mention that the Hacienda/Claim Jumper configuration generally works better than the stock drills, and way better than the piece of crap Buffalo drill.

More general advice:

Nuclear power. You want to get off of solar as fast as you can, and nuclear is usually reliable. As in "not going to make everybody glow in the dark if your base spontaneously combusts" reliable. Geothermal works if it's available (which it often isn't) but not as well. I usually pack along 6 SAFER reactors with my base-seeding equipment; that much provides plenty of power for a growing base, definitely enough until you can get more dedicated reactor units going, and even then they're still useful. 

A lot of how much success you'll have with a Pathfinder base depends on how much surveying work you do ahead of time. Before you put a base out there, you want to get your communications network established for the world and then get a surveying satellite in polar orbit. Make sure it's got a Narrow-Band Scanner installed (not the Survey Scanner - you want the hexagon-shaped one that spins). Since you're in CRP mode, you want to set the bandwidths to look for Rare Metals, Minerals, Rock, Metal Ore, Ore, Exotic Minerals and Uraninite and you want to keep track of the biomes in which you're seeing the materials. Rare Metals are the key - without them, you're not making Equipment in-situ, which means you won't be expanding your base without imports (you'll also need OSE Workshop installed, I believe). Minerals are used for a couple of things, such as Konkrete production. Rock is not really needed everywhere - which is good since it's actually fairly rare as a resource - but it's a fast Konkrete solution. Metal Ore you need if you're going to be using your base as a remote launch site (i.e. you also have Extraplanetary Launchpads installed). Ore is ore. Exotic Minerals is the other main ingredient for Equipment manufacture, but you can get around it if you've got Mini ISRUs available (they can be configured to make Equipment on Rare Metals only). Uraninite is for making Enriched Uranium, which you need for nuclear reactors.

When I'm done surveying, I look for areas along the equator in the biome that I want to try to inhabit. Usually I've got a biome missing some resources so I look for biome boundaries where the missing resources become available - a reason to put your base-seeding equipment on a manned rover. A way to get biome maps helps here, as they can provide you with good landing coordinates so you don't have to rove so much - places like Mun make for quite dangerous driving.