[Min KSP: 1.12.2] Pathfinder - Space Camping & Geoscience

Angelo Kerman

2 hours ago, Mike Mars said:

Just downloaded Pathfinder v1.3.5.

The issue with the Switchback and Switchback 2 base hubs remains.

See my previous posts for more details.

Angel, why did you get rid of the Stagecoach?

It was a very useful part.

MM

Huh? I just checked, the Stagecoach is there.

What's up with the Switchbacks? Ah. that's a KIS problem. Don't bolt the switchbacks to the ground.

Edited by Angel-125

1 hour ago, Angel-125 said:

Huh? I just checked, the Stagecoach is there.

What's up with the Switchbacks? Ah. that's a KIS problem. Don't bolt the switchbacks to the ground.

Found the Stagecoach.  It is in the "Extras" folder which I did not have in the "Pathfinder" folder.

When I tested Switchbacks, they were not bolted to the ground.  There seems to be some kind of "physics" related problem with them.  This does not occur with other base hubs.

See my earlier posts for more details.

MM

Edited by Mike Mars
spelling

I'm trying to fine-tune the production chains so I can make some flow charts for them. For TAC, based upon feedback from @TheReadPanda, I'm looking at eliminating the need for Fertilizer in the greenhouse and replacing it with Waste. That means CarbonDioxide + Water + Waste = Oxygen + WasteWater + (after a time) Food. That will simplify the production chain so you no longer need Minerals or Fertilizer. You'll still have the traditional greenhouse, which gives you a specific amount of Food after many days of growing time, and the Continually Regenerating Agricultural Product greenhouse, which gives you a constant (albiet small) supply of Food using the same supply chain above.

For Snacks, I might simplify things a bit and go with Ore + Minerals = Fertilizer, eliminating the need for Organics and the O-Chem lab.

Creating Equipment and ResearchKits are where I want them to be, and EL's MetalOre -> Metal -> RocketParts stays as is (it comes from Extraplanetary Launchpads). Likewise, the Ore->MaterialKits from OSE Workshop remains unchanged.

Pathfinder 1.3.6 is now available:

- Minor KerbNet fixes.
- Added the Oxide Processing Automated Lab (OPAL). Found in the Casa and Ponderosa, this specilized geology lab can convert Ore into Water, Waste, Slag, and Oxygen.
- Simplified the production chain for TAC-LS to use Waste in place of Fertilizer. Minerals and Fertilizer are no longer required.
- Simplified the production chain for Snacks; you no longer need Organics, and Fertilizer is made in the Pigpen from Ore and Minerals.

@TheReadPanda You should find the changes to TAC-LS helpful. The greenhouses run on TAC's resources, and the new OPAL configuration will help supplement Waste, Water, and Oxygen production.

I think the production chains are pretty stable at this point, so if people want to create flowcharts or spreadsheets showing what produces what, you should be good to go. :)

One of the comments by @TheReadPanda was that there wasn’t much to do in any given biome. I decided to do something about that beyond taking core samples to improve your production efficiency, and Buffalo’s repeatable science experiment that requires you to drive around the biome. The next update gives you something new to do: a mini-game called Gold Strike. It’s based upon an idea I had in 2015 when I first started Pathfinder, where I wanted the ability to dig up a limited amount of valuable resources within a specific area.

And of course, Gold Strike is in keeping with Pathfinder's gold rush mentality.

The way it works is pretty simple: certain parts, such as the Gold Digger, Buffalo’s crew cab, Bison’s Geology Lab, and of course the Pathfinder Geology Lab, have the ability to detect deposits of valuable resources like Aurum, ExoticMinerals, Karborundrum, and RareMetals. These valuable resources can occur even on worlds and asteroids that don’t officially have the resource as part of their abundance.

Wherever you find Ore, you might also find one of these valuable resources. If you discover a lode, such as a Karborundrum lode, then start drilling for Ore! As you harvest the Ore, you’ll use the drill’s new gold strike converter to convert Ore into the valuable resource until the lode is depleted- as long as you remain in the area. (Making KSP add the limited resource is... problematic as best as I can tell, but the converter works well...)

You can bring in any number of drills to convert the lode, as long as they stay within a certain distance of the lode’s location; Pathfinder keeps track of where you found the lode and it even sets a waypoint for you. And in keeping with the prospecting theme, if you don’t find a lode in one spot, simply move some non-trivial distance away from where you last checked and try again.

To prevent prospecting spam, you only have a limited number of chances to find a lode within a given biome. You can reset those chances, but you’ll pay a hefty price in Career/Science mode. The good news is that kerbals with the science skill can improve your chances of striking it rich. And if you strike the motherlode, you'll get more than average...

Here are a couple of pics to give you an idea:

UeidQqq.png

clo3kyz.png

I’m just about done with Gold Strike, and I'm pretty excited because I got to learn about setting waypoints, creating some music to play, and figuring out a mini-game. Plus, Gold Strike is a needed component for a top-secret project I'm working on... :)

Edited by Angel-125

Figuring out how to get the converter to work properly was... interesting... but I made some good progress:

z0yI9yX.png

The converter's output rate is tied to the drill, so if you have a poor concentration of Ore, then your output rate of the lode will be low as well.

Edited by Angel-125

I've spent several hours today in my career game trying to drill for water and ore using the gold digger drill, it wouldn't work! Then I reread its description and it seems it's not meant to be able to get anything else then core samples. Am I right?

16 minutes ago, Noel32 said:

I've spent several hours today in my career game trying to drill for water and ore using the gold digger drill, it wouldn't work! Then I reread its description and it seems it's not meant to be able to get anything else then core samples. Am I right?

I noticed that as well while doing some tests for Gold Strike. It is supposed to work like the stock mini drill in addition to taking core samples, except that scientists, not engineers, improve its efficiency. The Gold Digger is supposed to be statistically the same as the stock mini drill, and it looks like some parameters changed with KSP 1.2.2. Next update should has the issue sorted out.

Updated its description too: Also known as the Dancing Devil, the Gold Digger digs into the crust of planets or into asteroids to obtain core samples. These samples are then analyzed to determine the accuracy of resource scans that and improve or hinder resource extraction rates for all drills in the biome. It can also serve as a mini resource drill in a pinch; when operated by a skilled scientist, you'll be able to improve its efficiency. Comes with a free case of dust wipes.

Edited by Angel-125

7 minutes ago, Noel32 said:

I'm assuming it's impolite of me to ask if you have any idea when the mod is going to be updated? I'm very impressed with the Buffalo vehicle and the bits I've used so far, give the game a great feel.

I normally don't give out release dates because they go sailing on by.... That said, now that I've got the functionality working for Gold Strike, I'm finishing up the GUI. Once I get that done and a couple of new parts for the Buffalo, then I can publish the next release. For the Buffalo's Gold Strike release, I'm adding a new SAS module/probe core, and the Buffalo Drill. The drill is also part of Project Sandcastle, a project I've been slowly working towards that lets you 3D print base components on site with robots and local resources.

Well, since the MOLE thread is (temporarily, I hope!) gone, I'll just leave this here:

KSS Haise in orbit of the Mun (KSS Lovell is in Kerbal orbit & KSS Swigert is in orbit of Minmus - all the same design)

FYI, the Bigby Orbital Workshop is a *bear* to get into orbit if you don't have Heavier Rocketry yet. Interesting challenge. Just sayin'...

hupX7ej.png

27 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

@Bombaatu Looks great! The BOW should be tough to launch without heavier rocketry. :) The MOLE thread should be back next week according to SQUAD.

What I did was to put a self-deorbiting module on the bottom (a small tank with a Skipper, an MRS Radial probe core, a small battery, a few small solar panels and a couple of reaction wheels from ProbesPlus). Had the Bigby configured as a wet workshop upon launch. Had two orange tanks with Skippers and two of your Sledgehammer SRBs as boosters. I don't have a picture at the moment but if interested I'll put one up when I can.

Not sure if you saw it before the loss of thread, the Blacksmith 3D print shop varient of the Mark One Habitat cant display the workshop interface. It works for all the other modules and inflatables that have the Blacksmith variant. I have the latest versions of MOLE, Pathfinder and OSE Workshop installed.

Hello again :)  I've deployed a Ponderosa as GeoLab and Performed Biome Analysis.  I still get a message to perform a surface scan when I try and use the Gold Digger.  In my GeoLab UI it still says to unlock the biome, too.  I'm not sure what I need to do :S

3 hours ago, Doslidnyk said:

Hello again :)  I've deployed a Ponderosa as GeoLab and Performed Biome Analysis.  I still get a message to perform a surface scan when I try and use the Gold Digger.  In my GeoLab UI it still says to unlock the biome, too.  I'm not sure what I need to do :S

think you need to put ther T.E.R.R.A.I.N. scanner into orbit.

4 hours ago, Sudragon said:

Not sure if you saw it before the loss of thread, the Blacksmith 3D print shop varient of the Mark One Habitat cant display the workshop interface. It works for all the other modules and inflatables that have the Blacksmith variant. I have the latest versions of MOLE, Pathfinder and OSE Workshop installed.

Do you have a screenshot?

3 hours ago, Doslidnyk said:

Did you scan the planet from orbit with a TERRAIN or M700?

13 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

Why yes, yes I do.

tHMqjge.png

note: the right click menus for the Casa and Hacienda both have 'Open Workshop' buttons. The Habitat doesn't.

And as far as I can tell from version numbers, I have the latest version of Workshop installed.

Edited by Sudragon

1 hour ago, Sudragon said:

think you need to put ther T.E.R.R.A.I.N. scanner into orbit.

1 hour ago, Angel-125 said:

Did you scan the planet from orbit with a TERRAIN or M700?

Nope, I have not.  I was wondering if that was it from some of the other bits and pieces I've read on the wiki.  Perhaps I thought I could take core samples without the orbital scan first, I seem to think I had in an earlier version at least.

Thanks for your answers :)

On 07/01/2017 at 7:43 AM, Angel-125 said:

@Bombaatu Looks great! The BOW should be tough to launch without heavier rocketry. :) The MOLE thread should be back next week according to SQUAD.

I've got a few questions about MOLE, for starters why isn't the MOLE thread available and is there a wiki on MOLE