[Min KSP: 1.12.2] Pathfinder - Space Camping & Geoscience

Angelo Kerman

4 hours ago, JUSTFoox said:

How to create an Equipment. I need guidance and advice. :/ I'm probably stupid?

You need to use the IronWorks. It's one of the Hacienda templates. :)

Step one of making the bulldozer work: done!

XzASsTr.png

Thanks for making an easy to use API, @Ger_space! :)

That's obviously not a regolith mound, it's one of the platform prototype statics that I made awhile ago. But my KerbalKonstructs bridge is now working, which means I can flesh out the rest of the part module this week. :)

After a bit of hunting I found my DocSciLab to H mounted Lab. I had incorrectly used MM when trying to replace the model and internal. Not tested the functionality yet. Still busy trying to catch up. Just installed 1.4.5 as part of catching up. Hopefully will get to do some science soon. BTW with more than one lab, does anyone know which one get data when you transmit it to your base from another craft. I use a mod, forget right now the name, so that when I pick up experiment results I can transmit them to a lab somewhere for processing. Ta.

1 hour ago, Angel-125 said:

Finished up the plugin:

5PlfQDu.png

Time to make the regolith mounds. :) I'm anticipating that by the weekend I'll have another update that includes the new bulldozer functionality along with bug fixes for the missing converters.

are the things which can be build hardcoded or configurable? Maybe I want to extent the bulldozer a little bit :-)

1 hour ago, Ger_space said:

are the things which can be build hardcoded or configurable? Maybe I want to extent the bulldozer a little bit :-)

Configured via fields in my STATIC node:

tags: used to determine what statics the WBIPlatformBuilder (might change to WBIStaticBuilder) can build. The part module has a corresponding “tag” field. Statics can have more than one tag in the tags field but the builder can only have one tag.

BUILD_RESOURCE: I think that’s the name. Lists thet resource name and required amount. TimeSecs is used for build time; time is a “resource.” You can have many BUILD_RESOURCE nodes.

Edited by Angel-125

Pathfinder 1.27 is now available:

1.27 Sandcastle: Bulldozing

Tired of building bases on a slanted slope? This release introduces the ability to create static regolith mounds upon which you can build your bases! These mounds are level to the ground and nice and flat. To build them, all it takes is the latest version of Kerbal Konstructs and the new Buffalo Bulldozer part.

New Part

- Buffalo Bulldozer (Genral Construction): Specially designed for the Buffalo rover system included in Pathfinder, the bulldozer won't be available unless you have Kerbal Konstructs installed. Use this part to create a small, medium, or large regolith mound. These statics take time to make! Once done, you'll be able to place the regolith mound as any other Kerbal Konstructs static.

Bug Fixes

- Fixed missing converters not showing up in the operations manager.
- Fixed operations manager click-through in the editor.
- You can now have multiple Guppy command cabs on the same vessel and they'll work with each other to control the dive.
- The Lasso's numerous intakes have been consolidated.

@Angel-125 Hi, I was not sure where to post this. It is about the sample arm, in GameData\WildBlueIndustries\001KerbalActuators\Parts\Utility\SampleArm.

I cloned a part, gave it a bit more mass and changed the max temps. Everything else I left alone.

I am not sure how to word this, or if the terms I am about to use are correct, or that I am using them correctly. That said, here goes.

I am failing to dock. I think the reason is a collision detection. My belief is that the collision box for the sample arm is static. I placed two of the arms inside a spaceplane cargo bay. To get them to fit I changed their shape with the rotation controls available for it in game. I think the arms would have been pointing straight up, out through the doors if the bay was open. I noticed when I was looking at something else, that there was something relating to drag that was not coming from with my craft. Looking around these drag points seem to be above where the arms are anchored. The would I guess appear about halfway up the arms, if the arms were not rotated. I am wondering if the collision box moves as the arms are moved?

Like I said this could be all the wrong words, or the right words in the wrong order. Or maybe my docking is unrelated.

I like the idea of building sandcastles. But and there is always a but. How well do they butt? Jokes aside I bet a base needs more than one pile of sand. How well do they line up with each other? Can we get them all to be the same height? Does the final height depend on the height of the ground its placed on? Will they explode?

3 hours ago, Apaseall said:

I like the idea of building sandcastles. But and there is always a but. How well do they butt? Jokes aside I bet a base needs more than one pile of sand. How well do they line up with each other? Can we get them all to be the same height? Does the final height depend on the height of the ground its placed on? Will they explode?

The regolith mounds are statics, not parts. They don't have the same collision issues that parts do. I've found that building bases on top of the statics is more stable than building on the ground and cause fewer explosions. Plus, they're level. No more sloped bases! :)

25 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

The regolith mounds are statics, not parts. They don't have the same collision issues that parts do. I've found that building bases on top of the statics is more stable than building on the ground and cause fewer explosions. Plus, they're level. No more sloped bases! :)

I think I got the idea that they are not parts. I guess I will have to play and see if any of my first thoughts are an issue. I do look forward to it.

Sorry to bother you with an old question. But I ask again if you anticipate, or anyone else has tried, having more than one docsiclab in a base/craft. I have two both with different editor designations, ie one is configured as one type of lab, the other a different type of lab. I am finding slightly different options available in terms of fields displayed and events available. Not to mention needing to use PAWS to enable the ability to transmit science. Along a similar line of questions is, anyone tried transfering data from one lab in one craft to another lab in a different lab.

Different question. Omni Storage. Trying to find option for Equipment. Cannot see it. What I do see is a huge list. I would love to see that broken into a tree. First you would select the type of thing you want to store. That populates a list of things you can actually store. ie fuels, there is a huge list there, you could split it into two with common fuels and experimental or exotic fuel. I think the huge list of things comes from having a number of mods which bring in their own resource types/items.

Pathfinder 1.27.1 is now available:

- Fix for resource collection with the Lasso.
- Prospector fixes
- Converters are unavailable in the VAB/SPH.
- Fixes related to resource abundance changes in KSP 1.4.5
- The Gas Turbine Generator no longer works underwater.
- The Buffalo Drill now produces Slag in addition to whatever resources the biome has if Classic Stock play mode is active.

I think I broke something:

Spoiler

(Filename:  Line: -1)

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at WildBlueIndustries.WBIOpsManager.setActiveConverterCount (Int32 count) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at WildBlueIndustries.OpsManagerView.drawConvertersView () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at WildBlueIndustries.OpsManagerView.DrawOpsWindow (System.String buttonLabel) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at WildBlueIndustries.WBIOpsManager.DrawOpsWindow (System.String buttonLabel) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at WildBlueIndustries.OpsManagerView.DrawWindowContents (Int32 windowId) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at WildBlueIndustries.Dialog`1[T].PreDrawWindowContents (Int32 windowId) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at UnityEngine.GUILayout+LayoutedWindow.DoWindow (Int32 windowID) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at UnityEngine.GUI.CallWindowDelegate (UnityEngine.WindowFunction func, Int32 id, Int32 instanceID, UnityEngine.GUISkin _skin, Int32 forceRect, Single width, Single height, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

I changed a Hacienda IMF to use the new omni convertor. I asked for the first convertor to make Koncrete. I then told the convertor to start. That is when it broke. I am seeing a blank grey box with no way to get rid of it, instead of the manage operations display.

I know that I do not have most of the resources needed to make Koncrete. Nor do I think I have things that I could even store the raw materials in atm.

Here is the log. https://www.dropbox.com/s/7wqfi4dkdqu5w35/saves for Pathfinder.2.output_log.rar?dl=0

I have a nice mix of OPT parts with some Planetary Base? stuff. Basically I have a rover thing, with lots of base building stuff and convertors. I am trying to make a ground base for the mass driver pipeline?

I am about to test the sandcastle building. Quick question though. How do we determine where the sandcastle will be built? If I build it somewhere I don't like, how do I remove it again? Other than time, I have not been asked about any resources. Is it time only?

edit.

Made a couple of sandcastles. I would like to provide some feedback for your consideration.

Observations.

1. Time. It takes a whole day to make the smallest mound. Seems a little long. At any time I can click to cancel the build.

2. The mound made has an interesting shape. Square in view from above. A thickness seen at the edges. A higher point towards the center of the view from above, which is also a square in shape. Straight slopes that go from the edges to the raised center.

3. A colour that on Kerbin looks like mud. No markings to indicate orientation.

4. After spending the time I see nothing until finalized is clicked.

5. A window appears with options to move the mound.

6. One option seen in 5 is to destroy the mound. That option is only available if you have not saved and closed.

7. There are three boxes with numbers in, increment size, altitude and heading.

8. I cannot manually change the number in heading by clicking on it and typing. I can with altitude.

9. The mound can be moved north or south and east or west with buttons.

Ok so now with the issues I have.

i1. I am not able to set a specific heading. There is always some decimal beyond that which can be edited with the buttons, ie 15.24449 cannot be reduced to 15.

i2. I am not able to locate a mound on the surface, I would have like to be able to enter say lat. and long.

i3. Initially the mound is higher than ground level. Indeed the initial location appears to be centered directly above the center of mass of the vehicle used to create the mound.

i4. The dimensions between the three mound sizes are not limited to lat. and long changes. The altitude or rather the thickness of the mounds varies.

What does this mean?

I cannot tile more than one mound next to each other because I am unable to accurately orientate the mounds in terms of lat. and long. or heading. (i1,i2)

Even using more than one mound of the same size I am unable to efficiently create a contiguous flat surface. I can if I overlap each such that the high points touch. (i3)

I cannot mix and match mounds sizes with ease. (i4)

I have yet to try to remove a mound once I have finalized, saved and closed one.

Suggestions. Well I guess I understand why the mounds have the raised center. What I am not sure of is why each size has to have a different thickness. I have no idea if the orientation of the placed mounds have any meaning or indeed if orientation is even a property they retain.

Show the lat. and log. Allow text entry for those, letting the user know the maximum available for each as I assume that the mounds need to be created within a certain distance of the point you started from.

Allow text entry for heading.

Oh and check that the text entry exceptions are caught. Basic text entry issues like not throwing an error if the user deletes the values present in the entry box.

Make the time taken to be less, unless I am unusual in wanting to make fairly spacious flat areas.

Edited by Apaseall

I suppose I really should have asked this question before now. With these mounds we make, is the intention for them to be used to create a large flat area? Or is the idea to make lots of little islands with pipes between them? Larger islands for larger base parts like the hogan?

1 hour ago, Apaseall said:

is the intention for them to be used to create a large flat area? Or is the idea to make lots of little islands with pipes between them?

I haven't yet tooled around with this but I'm leaning on the former. I think most people want just one large piece of flat surface to build on. Advanced players will want (or at least be very grateful for) the ability to make islands, and as much as possible, they ought to know and use WBI's logistics system which shares resources between crafts without involving pipes.

57 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

I haven't yet tooled around with this but I'm leaning on the former. I think most people want just one large piece of flat surface to build on. Advanced players will want (or at least be very grateful for) the ability to make islands, and as much as possible, they ought to know and use WBI's logistics system which shares resources between crafts without involving pipes.

I happen to be at a stage in my play that I wish to build a Kerbin based mass driver to launch stuff to an orbital station with a mass receiver. I believe they are called some form of pipeline. Anyways that means building a land base on Kerbin. Thus I am using that opportunity to explore the recent addition of mound building.

My first attempt was using no mounds. I had a craft full of goodies, a large rover type thing. I placed a few WBI pathfinder modules attached to a WBI central hub, switchback 2 I think it is called. All seemed to be working well. The rover had airpark enabled but the hub did not.

I wondered about placing mounds under this existing setup. I arranged for another rover with the bulldozer part. I picked a small mound to start with. The build time is about one kerbin day I think. Being a busy fellow I used ksp's own time warp to speed things along. When the finalize button arrived I dropped back to normal time.
Oh boy! My base, the pipeline from the first rover were floating in the air! I switched to the base and released the air park. Stuff bounced around, blew up. Bad times were had by all.
Returning to a quicksave I released the air park and once more used time warp to get to the finalize button.
Once more things were up in the air.

I tried using the quicksave, initialize the build, switch back to ksc and time warp there.
No joy, stuff still up in the air.

I am about to try building a mound and then placing stuff on that.
I thought I would write this as I think the following may be true; player might want to place flat land under existing bases. Since I never managed to place a mound because my base was floating and blew up, I have no idea what would happen if someone had a stable base under which they tried to place a mound.

Yes I really do need to look into the concept of pipeless resource sharing. But first i think I want the Omni convertors to work, see above post about me breaking it.

edit.

So I got a big rover with huge wheels, with a tiny rover inside with tracks. Got to a nice spot for base building. Split the craft. Put the hand brake, not the air park, on the big one and trundled a little ways off with my digger thingy. Tired to make a huge mound.
Of course that takes about a month so I time warped. Ooops. All the wheels broke and so did the tracks. This time warp is harsh.

Edited by Apaseall