[Min KSP: 1.12.2] Pathfinder - Space Camping & Geoscience

Angelo Kerman

1 hour ago, vossiewulf said:

Thanks Capi, I didn't know that part. But I'm still not getting any konkrete, sadly. Any other ideas?

Hmm...have you tried setting up the OmniStorage on the Hacienda itself for Rock and Konkrete? I've only ever used the OmniConverters on the Castillos for the job.

The other possibility - and this is a surprisingly strong one - is that you're somewhere without Rock resources (I've got bases on every world in the Kerbol system, and the vast majority have nada Rock, which is as big of a PITA as it sounds). Do a Biome Analysis in a Casa/Pondarosa Geology Lab and see what the reading for Rock is. No Rock present, no Rock dug up, no Konkrete...

Assuming no Rock, look for the Ore Melter; it should be another option on the OmniConverter. I've used Ore Melters on Micro ISRUs before for Konkrete production (Equipment production as well - the Micro ISRU is really handy, which is why I never leave Kerbin without at least one on my base-seeding rovers). Hacienda/Brew Works is another possibility though the formula for Konkrete production there may require you to set up some more infrastructure (namely a Doc/Watney lab to turn monoprop into Water).

Edited by capi3101

19 hours ago, capi3101 said:

The other possibility - and this is a surprisingly strong one - is that you're somewhere without Rock resources

Thanks again Capi, I was unable to spend time with it yesterday so I'll check on the rock resources when I get back to it this evening. I very much appreciate the clear and complete instructions :)

23 hours ago, capi3101 said:

The other possibility - and this is a surprisingly strong one - is that you're somewhere without Rock resources

I was able to play around with it at lunch, and yes that was the problem :) But I followed your suggestion and built a mining rover and he is mining ore, connected to the base, and there is an Ore Melter converter that I have running, so I'm finally making Konkrete. Thanks for the help, without it I would have been stuck! 

51 minutes ago, vossiewulf said:

I was able to play around with it at lunch, and yes that was the problem :) But I followed your suggestion and built a mining rover and he is mining ore, connected to the base, and there is an Ore Melter converter that I have running, so I'm finally making Konkrete. Thanks for the help, without it I would have been stuck! 

Glad to have been of help.

I learned a while back that if you're playing with Pathfinder, it helps a lot to perform an orbital biome survey of the target world before sending boots out to establish a surface base. An orbital probe equipped with a stock M4435 Narrow-Band Scanner in a polar orbit becomes your bestest friend. And while a high Ore concentration is nice, if you're going to be building/expanding your base in situ, what you really want to look for is Precious Metals (Classic Stock) or Rare Metals (CRP Mode) along with Minerite (Classic Stock) / Minerals (CRP). You can get the majority of the base-expansion converters to work with those two alone, in my experience.

(I also look for Metal Ore, Uraninite, and Exotic Minerals (I use CRP mode myself and I'm not sure what the Classic Stock equivalents are) myself, largely because I want to be able to use my bases as nuclear-powered remote launch sites as well as fuel refineries.)

1 hour ago, capi3101 said:

I learned a while back that if you're playing with Pathfinder, it helps a lot to perform an orbital biome survey of the target world before sending boots out to establish a surface base.

Oh I did do an orbital survey, I just stupidly didn't realize Rock was an official resource. The way Angel phrased it to me (slow, high in EC) made me think it was a fall-back converter that worked everywhere, and in return it was slow and used lots of EC. It was a dumb assumption, I didn't even look at the map overlay for Rock until you pointed that out to me :)

5 hours ago, vossiewulf said:

Is the auxiliary navigator probe core supposed to work on its own? Because the below doesn't work, it's DOA on launch and you have no control. However, if I add a crew cab and launch it without crew, it starts working.

GrBL2pNh.jpg

Yes, it works on its own. Where's your power supply?

2 hours ago, capi3101 said:

Yes, it works on its own. Where's your power supply?

The chassis has built-in power, a 3U is about 6k EC. Plenty to run that thing for hours, and as noted, all I have to do is add a crew cabin (no crew) and it starts working so it should work without said cabin.

• 2 weeks later...

Im having a little trouble with resources in my game. Im not sure if its pathfinder or another part of the wild blue suite. Ive been pointed here from SCANsat, where I originally set the problem. 

Originally, it was that scansat wasnt showing the MKS resources. Only Alumina,Mopedantte, blutonium, explodium etc. Which I was told are the wild blue resources. The fix was to change from crp in the WBT settings, to prestine, restart, change back to crp, restart again. This didnt fix the issue, and Im still looking for help.

Im not even sure if Im currently playong with my pathfinder bits in crp or classic. How do I tell?

Many thanks in advance.

7 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

Are you using JNSQ? I am seeing similar issues with JNSQ and Classic Stock mode.

Hi Angel

First off, thankyou for the lovely mods! I dont really know what im doing with most of it yet, but its still lots of fun!

No, Im on the stock system, but its about the only thing that still is stock.

Im on 1.8.1. With uptodate MKS, scansat, and....im not running the most recent version of pathfinder, im on 1.35.0.

@Angel-125 @Waltert You will find the SCANsat config here --> WildBlueIndustries\ClassicStockResources\Templates\Utility\

Do with it what you may.

9 hours ago, Waltert said:

Im not even sure if Im currently playong with my pathfinder bits in crp or classic. How do I tell?

Press the WBT button in the app bar (lower right) at the KSC view. When the play mode window appears, the already pressed button is the active play mode.

tSlMA4h.jpg

Also you can open WBIPlayMode.cfg at the top level in GameData\ and see what the play mode setting is.

@Waltert The WBI parts mods all have two certain directories in them: Templates/ClassicStock/ and Templates/CRP/. The play mode switcher renames files between .cfg and .txt in these locations. My best guess is that you may have updated WBI mods while they were in CRP mode (I think they are published in Classic Stock mode by default) which will cause .cfg files to exist alongside the .txt files, which means that patches that should be inactive are now actually active in parallel with the opposite patches. So Classic Stock shouldn't be active but it actually is. The play mode switcher has enough logic to conveniently rename many files, but it doesn't have the logic to detect that files should or shouldn't be present in a given location.

@JadeOfMaar

I had a look through some of the .cfg/.txt files this morning. Mainly the Scansat one you mentioned previously. The .txt and .cfg looked identical. Im not a coder, so I might have missed something obvious...

Does that mean the course of action would be to, change to classic and restart, close it, then update the wildbluetools and oathfinder (and buffalo too?). Then the switch to pristine, restart, switch to crp restart?

@Waltert Oh, I forgot to give you the solution while describing the problem. If you see .txt and .cfg forms of a given file or several files in the WBI template folders then the WBI install is broken. You'd have to delete and reinstall the WBI part mods (Pathfinder, Buffalo, ClassicStockResources, and anything else you may have-- Airships, DSEV) to fix it. Or you could manually find and delete files but that's too much trouble.

iirc you'll want to change to CRP mode to restore the cfg setups for other mods that are compatible with play mode, before you remove WBI. That is so that in case you forget to reinstall WBI, or you choose to turn away, KSP won't choke on the other mods because they're expecting resources whose definitions are gone.

@JadeOfMaar

Thanks, and no problem. Its definately a broken install.

Just to clarify, so I dont muck it all up again. Switch to CRP (and restart?),

uninstall all WBI. Then reinstall.

On first load, switch to pristine, restart, CRP, restart.

Is that correct?

P.s. will this break any current pathfinder bases/vessels? 

Edited by Waltert

@Waltert You don't need to change to the other play modes. I've never messed with them so I'd be cautious that I end up causing more damage by flipping to them for little reason.

• Just switch to CRP
  • Delete WBI (It might help to delete GameData/WBIPlayMode.cfg or set its name value to CRP)
  • Reinstall WBI
  • Start KSP and observe the .cfg and .txt files somewhere

6 hours ago, Waltert said:

@JadeOfMaar

P.s. will this break any current pathfinder bases/vessels? 

Might want to back up your persistence just in case, but as someone who has gone through this very issue before, it shouldn't

Quick programming note for those of y'all who (like myself) have been having issues with it of late - a new version of OSE Workshop has dropped that has reportedly fixed the issues between it and the Pathfinder workshop templates. Haven't had a chance to check on the veracity of this just yet my own self; will do so when the opportunity arises. 

4 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

@Waltert You don't need to change to the other play modes. I've never messed with them so I'd be cautious that I end up causing more damage by flipping to them for little reason.

• Just switch to CRP
  • Delete WBI (It might help to delete GameData/WBIPlayMode.cfg or set its name value to CRP)
  • Reinstall WBI
  • Start KSP and observe the .cfg and .txt files somewhere

Im only looking at the first post for parhfinder. It says to switch to pristine, which is templateless, before switching the CRP. Is this not still the case then?

@Waltert No, not the case anymore. Those instructions are obsolete. At the time those instructions were written, the play mode switcher was immature and didn't have the logic yet to respect the setting in ( WBIPlayMode.cfg ) if it was altered by the player. And I guess it was much rougher around the edges if it needed to be changed to Pristine in-between CRP and Classic. I think it's time @Angel-125 deleted that little spoiler. :D (I regularly talk with him somewhat closely so I get to learn a lot without, or before needing to, reading the thread OP).

Edited by JadeOfMaar

Hello. I'm trying to set up the base as the tutorial explains with the example buffalo. I don't know if maybe the parts changed or something else changed but I don't find ports on neither the slab or the trailer hitch. It seems like you need more equipment to build it than what the buckboard carries and so I have no idea how to make it work. I would appreciate any help. I'm using the latest pathfinder with KSP version 1.9. I have both KIS and KAS installed too (among a lot of other stuff)

2 hours ago, Jofe said:

Hello. I'm trying to set up the base as the tutorial explains with the example buffalo. I don't know if maybe the parts changed or something else changed but I don't find ports on neither the slab or the trailer hitch. It seems like you need more equipment to build it than what the buckboard carries and so I have no idea how to make it work. I would appreciate any help. I'm using the latest pathfinder with KSP version 1.9. I have both KIS and KAS installed too (among a lot of other stuff)

Been a while since I've looked at the Buffalo tutorial, but you are right in that the information in that tutorial is quite out of date. You'll need about 900 units of Equipment to deploy a Pondarosa, assuming the engineer tasked with base construction is at zero stars worth of XP. The small Buckboards hold (at most) 100 units of Equipment (I think), which of course is not going to cut it. You can, however, put a sufficient supply of Equipment into a rover vehicle and then hook it up to the initial base structures for construction. You'll want to include a KIS resource transfer station and connector port with your rover's kit to make the connection. Better yet, you can include two Mineshaft Crew Tubes - in my experience, they're less Kraken-inducing; you just attach one to your rover and the other to the side of the Pondy, then mash go on the Assemble button.

Try adjusting the tutorial rover with a couple of Saddle tanks (not the Saddle mount unit - there are two parts called "Saddles") filled with Equipment, and see if that gets you anywhere further. Let us (read: let me in particular) know how well that works out for you and we'll proceed from there one way or the other. 

1 hour ago, capi3101 said:

Been a while since I've looked at the Buffalo tutorial, but you are right in that the information in that tutorial is quite out of date. You'll need about 900 units of Equipment to deploy a Pondarosa, assuming the engineer tasked with base construction is at zero stars worth of XP. The small Buckboards hold (at most) 100 units of Equipment (I think), which of course is not going to cut it. You can, however, put a sufficient supply of Equipment into a rover vehicle and then hook it up to the initial base structures for construction. You'll want to include a KIS resource transfer station and connector port with your rover's kit to make the connection. Better yet, you can include two Mineshaft Crew Tubes - in my experience, they're less Kraken-inducing; you just attach one to your rover and the other to the side of the Pondy, then mash go on the Assemble button.

Try adjusting the tutorial rover with a couple of Saddle tanks (not the Saddle mount unit - there are two parts called "Saddles") filled with Equipment, and see if that gets you anywhere further. Let us (read: let me in particular) know how well that works out for you and we'll proceed from there one way or the other. 

That did the trick. A lvl 1 engineer needed like 550-600 equipment to build it. I went back and fort on the tutorial and apparently there's a kinda free buckboard (I hope lol) so I changed that one to equipment and I think it gives me around 630-660 total. Picked up a couple of transfer stations (a part I didn't know existed because I stopped playing for quite a while, thought it was just still the regular ports) and a couple of ports and connected both buckboards to the Ponderosa and that was it, I was able to inflate it and for now I'm at that point. Thank you very much.

Before I forget, is the Buffalo a little unstable by nature or is something else in my game? Because if I try to turn a little too much even at low speed it will try to roll over.

Edited by Jofe