[Min KSP: 1.12.2] Pathfinder - Space Camping & Geoscience

Angelo Kerman

13 minutes ago, Ooglak Kerman said:

@capi3101 what node did you attach the Rangeland to on the Chuckwagon?  Attaching to the entry ports has the pad sitting well off the ground.  Because of the size, attaching that thing to anything is right fiddly.

KIS 1, I believe - but don't quote me on that. It's been a while. And mine usually do sit well off the ground; driving off of them is possible, driving back up is another matter entirely.

You think this is fiddly, you should see what attaching things to the Walkways is like. Seriously, quicksave before you give it a go. (You can wind up with a building attached sideways very easily, or worse yet, inside another building...the fix for which is to zoom in really tight and then swing your camera around, then zoom out until you can see the box and grab it).

Edited by capi3101

Unfortunately Pathfinder is limited in what you can do with attaching parts and the game itself. Hence why Pathfinder has supported EL for so long. If KIS doesn’t work then EL can help you make bases wholesale. I hope colonies will work better in KSP 2 and make Pathfinder obsolete.

Turns out the Saddle has a little bitty attachment node off to one side.  Turn a Ponderosa 90 degrees and then attach the Rangeland to that.  That's the theory anyway and it looks like it will work in the SPH.  We'll see.

And on the Chuckwagon....

//Name of inflatable animation
		animationName = Deploy
		flightAnimationOnly = True

I see your flightAnimationOnly = True
... and raise you a MM patch.  Evil Angelo!!

Just now, Angel-125 said:

*evil squirrel paws *

Haha!  Yeah.  So..  Attaching the Rangeland to that very convenient little attach node on the Saddle is the thing!  I can drive onto and off of it just fine.  I need to figure out how to make the grass go away in that area though.  Distracting.

Big test next will be making a thing.

1 hour ago, MoonstreamInSpace said:

Thank you, Angel-125, for fixing the Pathfinder<->Sandcastle interaction! It works now, and is really useful!

You're welcome! I'm glad I was finally able to figure it out, and fix the EL-Sandcastle issues with the survey cones as well. :)

Good news everybody!  SimpleConstruction is fully compatable with the Rangeland!  Built and recycled a cargo/crew truck at the Minmus base.

With SCON, it's a good strategy to build individual parts with the SCON enabled docking port(s) and whole assemblies with the Rangeland.  With colony building now worked out - courtesy of the advancements by Angelo - I need Kerbals.  Time to send out the press gangs - errr - recruitment teams to the bars.

1 hour ago, Ooglak Kerman said:

Well... yeah, but there is no information on what "Dispersal" and "Variance" mean.

There is - you may have missed it.

• Variance = 0 ~ 100 (% how noisy the resource distribution is between highest and lowest amount, not necessarily your defined Min and Max.)
  • Dispersal = 0 ~ 100 (multiplies the sharpness/contrast of that noise and makes the high points much more abundant and the low points much less abundant)

35 minutes ago, panarchist said:

There is - you may have missed it.

• Variance = 0 ~ 100 (% how noisy the resource distribution is between highest and lowest amount, not necessarily your defined Min and Max.)
  • Dispersal = 0 ~ 100 (multiplies the sharpness/contrast of that noise and makes the high points much more abundant and the low points much less abundant)

Awesome!  Thanks for that info.  It fills in some gaps for me.

3 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Oops. Forgot to clearly mention the info was in one of the spoilers. But also I thought you'd open the spoilers.

Completely missed the spoilers.  Reading just too fast.

Ughh...  Leyn really lacks suitable flat places to place a base.  Could use a grader!

Whelp... as a colony, Leyn is a write-off.   Not enough level ground anywhere I can find.  Not even in the big impact craters.  It will be a good mining outpost though.  Looks like Alva will be a more promising colony - if the Sandwurms don't eat the colony.

name = SandWurm
materialType = BumpedDiffuse
mesh = GU/Terrain/PluginData/Models/SandWurm.obj

Edited by Ooglak Kerman

53 minutes ago, Ooglak Kerman said:

Whelp... as a colony, Leyn is a write-off.   Not enough level ground anywhere I can find.  Not even in the big impact craters.  It will be a good mining outpost though.  Looks like Alva will be a more promising colony - if the Sandwurms don't eat the colony.

name = SandWurm
materialType = BumpedDiffuse
mesh = GU/Terrain/PluginData/Models/SandWurm.obj

If you use Kerbal Konstructs you can apply a flat ground "decal" to flatten the ground. I did this on Minmus in my save.

9 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

If you use Kerbal Konstructs you can apply a flat ground "decal" to flatten the ground. I did this on Minmus in my save.

I've been looking at and considering KK, but I'm not sure I want to go through the hoops of learning it and you can't have every colony attempt work out.
Also, as it is, the game is somewhat randomly glitchy out at interstellar distances.  About 1 out of 6 or so times I switch scene over to my rover/miner at Leyn, a random part just comes flying off.  Seems to be better now that I've removed the surface base though.

I'm pretty confident the Kraken lives on Leyn.

8 hours ago, Ooglak Kerman said:

I've been looking at and considering KK, but I'm not sure I want to go through the hoops of learning it and you can't have every colony attempt work out.

No, take it from someone who uses KK a lot - go through the hoops of learning it, because it's too big of a pain in the ass to not have every colony attempt work out...

KK is actually not that terribly difficult to learn. The only thing I'll say is quicksave before you mash go on fixing terrain, because turning KK on will toss the craft/base into the air. The adjustments you make will still be in place when you quickload.

24 minutes ago, capi3101 said:

No, take it from someone who uses KK a lot - go through the hoops of learning it, because it's too big of a pain in the ass to not have every colony attempt work out...

KK is actually not that terribly difficult to learn. The only thing I'll say is quicksave before you mash go on fixing terrain, because turning KK on will toss the craft/base into the air. The adjustments you make will still be in place when you quickload.

I have to quicksave as it is before switching scene to anything on the surface out at Nova Kirbani - especially Leyn.  It's right annoying, but just a thing ya gotta do.

Since I'm using Blueshift warp, it's not <that> big a deal for a colony attempt to not work out.  In this case, Leyn becomes a mining outpost and it really looks like Alva will work out nicely.

I'll likely carve out a little time this weekend to dink with KK though.  At a minimum, I want to suppress the grass growing around my test base at the KSC.  Need to mow that yard!  Since you've used it - are you limited to a circular area - or can a polygon be defined?

I'm pretty sure a polygon can be defined...but in honesty, I've never found a reason to use anything other than a nice, large circle. Though you should probably limit the radius to not much more than 300-400 meters or so. Did a two kilometer area on Pol once and you could see the massive chunk I'd taken out of the moon from orbit...

(I might actually have a screenie of that somewhere; I'll have to look).

5 hours ago, capi3101 said:

I'm pretty sure a polygon can be defined...but in honesty, I've never found a reason to use anything other than a nice, large circle. Though you should probably limit the radius to not much more than 300-400 meters or so. Did a two kilometer area on Pol once and you could see the massive chunk I'd taken out of the moon from orbit...

(I might actually have a screenie of that somewhere; I'll have to look).

I'd like to see that.  Be funny to do that to Gilly.

Do you have to essentially define a script for what to do?