[Min KSP: 1.12.2] Pathfinder - Space Camping & Geoscience

Angelo Kerman

2 hours ago, Clancythecat said:

I just got back into ksp after a couple months and I just tested the automated supply line part in sandbox mode, and i think it's going to be really useful for building stations with life support mods.

One question though, does it cost funds to resupply, or do i get the resources for free?

It's still experimental, but it doesn't cost resources to fill the tank. I have no plans to make it cost funds. The idea behind it is that you fly the mission once and see if you can ship a full tank of resources to the destination. If so, then keep the vessel at the destination and set the timer. It abstracts the supply run, freeing you up to do other things. Think of it as a poor-kerbal's version of what they're doing in KSP 2...

21 minutes ago, Angelo Kerman said:

I can take some, anything in particular?

I was just hoping for some pix showing some of the more important bits.  I need to start orbital construction and need to wrap my head around it.

BTW.. did you see my Blueshift post about the engine problem?

36 minutes ago, Ooglak Kerman said:

I was just hoping for some pix showing some of the more important bits.  I need to start orbital construction and need to wrap my head around it.

BTW.. did you see my Blueshift post about the engine problem?

Yeah, thank you for keeping a copy around for testing purposes. :)

That large shipyard is just a bigger version of this:

DKsxBp9.png

The basic elements are the same. You have the Konstruction Manipulator (3rd row, 2nd column in the parts picker) to build the ships from rocket parts. The EL Smelter (2nd row, 3rd column) converts metal ore into metal. Along the spine is the Sandcastle 3D Printer (7th row, 2nd column) that converts metal into rocket parts.  The DSEV Homestead module provides workspace productivity that governs how quickly the new vessel can be produced.

The yard frames are completely optional and just for show. But here you can see that I set them up like a Star Trek space dock. They have flat and and angled attachment options.

1 hour ago, Angelo Kerman said:

Yeah, thank you for keeping a copy around for testing purposes. :)

That large shipyard is just a bigger version of this:

The basic elements are the same. You have the Konstruction Manipulator (3rd row, 2nd column in the parts picker) to build the ships from rocket parts. The EL Smelter (2nd row, 3rd column) converts metal ore into metal. Along the spine is the Sandcastle 3D Printer (7th row, 2nd column) that converts metal into rocket parts.  The DSEV Homestead module provides workspace productivity that governs how quickly the new vessel can be produced.

The yard frames are completely optional and just for show. But here you can see that I set them up like a Star Trek space dock. They have flat and and angled attachment options.

If you didn't see it.  I found and fixed the engine problem.

That is right cool!  It looks like the Homestead 3 will make rocket parts also.  I'm using SimpleConstruction - which has so far proven to be 100% compatible.  I'm guessing this would be best in orbit of a light gravity world so that getting the resources to it is ez.  Hmmm..  gears clanking and clashing.

Along these lines, which module with Pathfinder will provide workspace productivity for the Rangeland pad?

Hrr..  Looks like most of the important parts cannot be printed.  Little bit of a bummer, but workable.

I'm getting an EL Converter Broken Configuration for a few things that look like the rocket part making bits.  Likely to do with SCON but not a biggie.  I can ship rocket parts.

The frames don't do fuel cross-feed.  Do they pass rocket parts across?  Sandcastle stands to be interesting to learn!

On 2/22/2023 at 3:39 PM, Ooglak Kerman said:

That is right cool!  It looks like the Homestead 3 will make rocket parts also.  I'm using SimpleConstruction - which has so far proven to be 100% compatible.  I'm guessing this would be best in orbit of a light gravity world so that getting the resources to it is ez.  Hmmm..  gears clanking and clashing.

Along these lines, which module with Pathfinder will provide workspace productivity for the Rangeland pad?

As I recall, the Hacienda with IronWorks template provides EL functionality specifically to make rocket parts, smelt metal, and recycle scrap metal. The Hacienda in all configurations also has the best EL workshop productivity.

On 2/22/2023 at 3:39 PM, Ooglak Kerman said:

How did you fix the engine problem?

16 minutes ago, Angelo Kerman said:

How did you fix the engine problem?

The wbiS2WarpCore part on the affected ship in the save file was in a state of 0.  I changed that to a state of 1 and all was good.  Here is an extract..

PART
			{
				name = wbiS2WarpCore
				cid = 0
				uid = 3710152497
				mid = 4108693781
				persistentId = 638389028
				launchID = 0
				parent = 1
				position = 3.277834415435791,-0.22036290168762207,1.8966579437255859
				rotation = -0.70234561,0.577147484,-0.416611433,-0.00681429496
				mirror = 1,1,1
				symMethod = Radial
				istg = 0
				resPri = 0
				dstg = 0
				sqor = 0
				sepI = -1
				sidx = 0
				attm = 1
				sameVesselCollision = False
				srfN = srfAttach, -1
				attN = top, 1
				attN = bottom, 13
				mass = 4
				shielded = False
				temp = 234.23931104975796
				tempExt = 234.1791950360674
				tempExtUnexp = 294.20007311760361
				staticPressureAtm = 0
				expt = 0.100000001
				state = 0
				PreFailState = 0
				attached = True
				autostrutMode = Grandparent
				rigidAttachment = False
				flag = Squad/Flags/retro
				rTrf = wbiS2WarpCore
				modCost = 3.27418093E-11
				modMass = 0
				moduleVariantName = 
				moduleCargoStackableQuantity = 1

changing state =0 over to state = 1 fixed the issue

Edited by Ooglak Kerman

18 hours ago, Angelo Kerman said:

Was state of 0 on the warp engine part module? Which state?

It's the part object of the vessel in the save file.  See the above extract.  In this case it's the wbiS2WarpCore part.  Find the entry for state and it is set to 0 there.

1 hour ago, Ooglak Kerman said:

It's the part object of the vessel in the save file.  See the above extract.  In this case it's the wbiS2WarpCore part.  Find the entry for state and it is set to 0 there.

Hm. Interesting. That's not something that I've messed with. I wonder what that state variable does?

39 minutes ago, Angelo Kerman said:

Hm. Interesting. That's not something that I've messed with. I wonder what that state variable does?

Yeah.  I did some searching but haven't come up with anything.  I spent a day comparing the different craft before I finally ran across that.  It's an edge case for sure, but a bummer when it happens.  I know how to fix now though.
I do know that if you run out of fusion pellets, it will drop to that state and not want to restart - declaring that it doesn't know where it is.

The rover was not wanting to track or brake straight after starting up the game.  The fix... putting the ladders down and back up.  Make the rover jiggle a bit and I guess settled it to the surface properly.
All was fine then.  I start each session now with a ladder extension - ya know.. make sure it works.

• 1 month later...

I am attempting to install Pathfinder Pristine mode, so that I can have just the parts without needing resources. However, the direct download from Github does not have this mode, and while CKAN lists it as available, it will not allow me to install. Was this mode removed from the mod entirely, or am I installing something wrong?

Update: The problem was I had installed the mods wrong via CKAN. Its fixed now! :D 

Edited by nascarlaser1
Fixed: Problem on my end.

Hi, I'm trying to get a handle on how this mod works. I wanted to go through the Getting Started - Setting Up a Base instruction page on the wiki. Unfortunately both the craft files give me a "Vessel is missing part KAS.CPort1" which means I'm unable to load the craft.

Is there an alternative version of these crafts? I found a Legacy parts wiki on the KAS GitHub but it seems that is potentially out of date but also doesn't quite list how to load a craft file with the cPort part.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

I <think> that you are running into a legacy Buffalo vs Buffalo 2 issue there.  You definitely need to have Buffalo 2 (original Buffalo being deprecated) for this.
I would recommend not bothering with the included craft files and just build what you have available to you.

For your Buffalo2 vehicles that you build, be sure to enable rigid attachment on all of your parts.  If you don't know how to do that - look it up.  It will save you much headache.

50 minutes ago, Ooglak Kerman said:

I <think> that you are running into a legacy Buffalo vs Buffalo 2 issue there.  You definitely need to have Buffalo 2 (original Buffalo being deprecated) for this.
I would recommend not bothering with the included craft files and just build what you have available to you.

For your Buffalo2 vehicles that you build, be sure to enable rigid attachment on all of your parts.  If you don't know how to do that - look it up.  It will save you much headache.

I do have Buffalo 2 installed when I get the error I mentioned. My understanding is that it's legacy KAS part that is now deprecated.

I have tried building Buffalo2 and Pathfinder vehicles but I think I'm just a bit overwhelmed with sheer number of new parts and how they interact. I might try and play with a new science save so I get introduced to them slowly rather than figuring out how things work in sandbox mode.

Thanks for your advice. 

On 4/10/2023 at 5:37 PM, Invader_guy said:

Hey just wondering, how does this mod play with Rational Resouces? Do I want to use Pathfinder's own resource scanners and geology? or would rational resources' scanners be good enough? I have the crp gamemode installed

Rational Resources only refines the resource placement and provides more harvesting opportunities in oceans, atmospheres and in near space. It's especially helpful in that it provides for Angel's Classic Stock Resources for him and others who prefer that over Communtiy Resource Pack. Pathfinder's resource scanners and Geology mechanics are still relevant. They just reveal resources that are more appropriate for the celestial body you're on per that body's composition template.

• 2 months later...

@Angelo Kerman Hope things are well for you.  Long time no chat.
I'm wondering about an issue I'm having with WBIColonistContract.  Send tourists out to remote destinations with no requirement to bring them back.
The issue is that once the contract is complete, the tourists are in sort of an in-between state.  They can't be retrained.  I brought some back to Kerbin where even after recovering the vessel, they are unable to EVA on Kerbin and cannot be retrained.

Here is an example:

PARAM
				{
					name = WBIKerbalStayParam
					enabled = False
					state = Complete
					values = 0,0,0,0,0
					vesselName = Emerald Hab 2
					kerbalName = Bersted Kerman
					totalStayTime = 259200
					timeRemaining = 0
					lastUpdate = 30495406.016751837
					isAtLocation = True
					PARAM
					{
						name = WBIFerryKerbalParam
						enabled = False
						state = Complete
						values = 0,0,0,0,0
						vesselName = Emerald Hab 2
						kerbalName = Bersted Kerman
					}
				}

Are these tourists lost causes?  I suppose I could change isAtLocation to False and see what happens..

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I tried all 3 play modes. I'm wondering if there's a way to play CRP mode with no MKS and use ores instead.

I have all of Nertea's near/far future mods. They brought in Community Resources Pack as a dependency. But he seems to be taking a more easy going attitude more like Wild Blue's Simplified mode than MKS/USI. He patched all the stock converters to drill for all resources and convert from ore to LH2, LCH4, and even end game resources like enriched uranium, fission pellet, nuclear saltwater, etc. https://github.com/post-kerbin-mining-corporation/CryoTanks/blob/master/GameData/CryoTanks/Patches/CryoTanksISRU_patch.cfg  https://github.com/post-kerbin-mining-corporation/NearFutureElectrical/blob/master/GameData/NearFutureElectrical/Parts/Resources/nuclear-recycler-25.cfg https://github.com/post-kerbin-mining-corporation/FarFutureTechnologies/blob/master/GameData/FarFutureTechnologies/Parts/Resources/fft-nuclear-smelter-375-1.cfg But he did revert it to the MKS production chain if MKS is detected. https://github.com/post-kerbin-mining-corporation/NearFutureElectrical/blob/master/GameData/NearFutureElectrical/Patches/NFElectricalUSIResources.cfg

I also have OSE Workshop where they just patch all the stock drills to drill for dirt and let their converter convert dirt to rare metals and exotic minerals. They also patched the stock drill to drill for these directly. https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/Workshop/blob/master/GameData/Workshop/MM_Patches/MM_Workshop.cfg https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/Workshop/blob/master/GameData/Workshop/Parts/OSE_Converter/Converter.cfg

Pathfinder seems to assume CRP means MKS/USI. Even essentials like Konkrete requires resources like Minerals which can only be obtained with the MKS specific drill. SCANSat wouldn't even show the resource without the MKS drill. It's not just about bringing in the drill. Every mod seems to switch to hard mode and require the entire MKS production chain for everything when they detect the presence of MKS.

I thought about Classic Stock. It's a bit more involved than I'd like but close enough. Problem is mods like outer planets seems to be dropping support for it. https://github.com/Poodmund/Outer-Planets-Mod/releases/tag/2.2.6

So the best match for me is probably Simplified mode. But I noticed that templates defined in the "Common" directory such as green house and sandcastle still requires Equipment. So are templates introduced in patches for things like TAC-LS. Also, some boxed parts like the drilling rig requires Equipment and Konkrete to unpack. But with only the simple ISRU template, there's no way to make Konkrete and Equipment. I can't even have a workshop for OSE workshop.

I can help code up a fix. I can:

1. Set payToRemodel = false in Simplified.cfg just like in Pristine.cfg and keep Simplified mode dead simple. Add the LCH4, RareMetal refining and Workshop functionality to the Simplified ISRU.

2. Add the appropriate production chain for Equipment and Konkrete to Simplified mode from ClassicStock and adapt accordingly. Still need to enhance the ISRU with new refining and Workshop.

3. Or change our CRP code so that we substitute every raw material with Ore if MKS is not present. Still need to add refining to the appropriate template to match the functionality these mods added to stock drill/converters.

What do you think?