[Min KSP: 1.12.2] Pathfinder - Space Camping & Geoscience

Angelo Kerman

10 hours ago, Sudragon said:

Is there going to be a max range on the system? Or will it be SOI only?

Pipelines have a max range that depends upon the mass of the payload and the pull of gravity of the planet you're on. In the config file, you specify how much kinetic energy the mass driver can generate, and the part module does the rest. The ground variant is calibrated to launch 10-tonne payloads into munar orbit, while the orbital variant delivers much less kinetic energy. You're also limited to ground-to-ground, ground-to-orbit, and orbit-to-orbit transfers. Further restrictions include the need for large amounts of ElectricCharge, LiquidFuel/Oxidizer for course corrections, and guidance data for trajectory calculations. The mass driver slowly generates guidance data, but you can generate a lot more using the new Ranch House.

@Angel-125: It's not in a release yet, but I just pushed very basic support for unmanned construction to EL's github repository (not even tested beyond compiling, actually). Just set UnmannedProductivity to something appropriate in the ExWorkshop node. Do note that ProductivityFactor is ignored for unmanned production  (unnmanned production is added to (kerbal productivity * productivity factor), so it's quite possible to "enhance" an automated workshop with kerbals.

[edit]letting you know so you can do your own testing and production (I assume you know how to build EL yourself)

Edited by taniwha

27 minutes ago, taniwha said:

@Angel-125: It's not in a release yet, but I just pushed very basic support for unmanned construction to EL's github repository (not even tested beyond compiling, actually). Just set UnmannedProductivity to something appropriate in the ExWorkshop node. Do note that ProductivityFactor is ignored for unmanned production  (unnmanned production is added to (kerbal productivity * productivity factor), so it's quite possible to "enhance" an automated workshop with kerbals.

[edit]letting you know so you can do your own testing and production (I assume you know how to build EL yourself)

Thank you so much! I will definitely play with that. :)

Finished the ground and orbital Pipeline mass drivers:

b53Tf2I.png

8D5tgxL.png

Orbital variant:

vG97Yts.png

And here is the new Buffalo Recycler Arm:

6eDRKBo.png

It's getting there... If you don't have a Level 2 Engineer available to go outside and recycle parts, then you can attach the Recycler Arm to your vehicle and point the blowtorch at the space junk.

Almost done with the latest Pathfinder release!

I've just started using this mod and I'm really liking it so far and can see loads of potential for fun with it. 

I've got a query about how to use the "Scrap part for equipment" feature, I seem to get it to work sometimes and not others.  Is there some trick to making sure the gained equipment ends up in containers? I've got a craft and attached to it (via KAS links) are several buckboard containers configured for equipment. When my EVA Kerbal clicks on a part to scrap it I get a message which says it was scrapped and how much equipment was gained, but (most of the time) the equipment doesn't end up in the containers.  What's the correct process for scrapping?

5 minutes ago, katateochi said:

I've just started using this mod and I'm really liking it so far and can see loads of potential for fun with it. 

I've got a query about how to use the "Scrap part for equipment" feature, I seem to get it to work sometimes and not others.  Is there some trick to making sure the gained equipment ends up in containers? I've got a craft and attached to it (via KAS links) are several buckboard containers configured for equipment. When my EVA Kerbal clicks on a part to scrap it I get a message which says it was scrapped and how much equipment was gained, but (most of the time) the equipment doesn't end up in the containers.  What's the correct process for scrapping?

Tested it today and it's working for me. Make sure you have Equipment stores and room for any other resource the scrapped part has.

Also, started working on the last part before the release is ready: the Lasso Aero/Hydro Scoop:

KF9LDa9.jpg

As you can see, it's an ISRU unit specially designed for scooping up atmosphere and oceans.

46 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

Tested it today and it's working for me. Make sure you have Equipment stores and room for any other resource the scrapped part has.

Ok I got it working.  I had the Equipment containers connected to the main craft via two KAS connections; a winch connecting to a KAS ground platform and then another winch from the ground platform to the containers. I changed it so the winch on the craft went directly to the containers and then scrapping worked as expected.  In the first setup the link was "valid" in that the game recognised the containers as being part of the main craft and showed their resources in the fuel tab for the whole craft, it just didn't seem to want to transfer resources into them when scrapping. 

Pathfinder 1.13 is now available:

Ranches And Pipelines
Along with some new parts, this release introduces a new capability: the ability to transfer resources between the active vessel and unloaded vessels, including KIS inventory items! To do this, all you need to do is establish a Pipeline at both ends.

New Parts
- Ranch House (Composites): This large structure is an intermediate step between the inflatable temporary structures and the permanent Sandcastle dwellings that will be in a future release. Instead of having multiple configurations, the Ranch House provides production bonuses to all the parts with converters that are a part of the base. Additionally, it generates data that can be distributed to Doc Science Labs, Mobile Processing Labs, and the new Pipeline Mass Driver. That data can also be collected to provide a prospecting bonus when searching for Gold Strike lodes. The amount of bonuses and data generated depends upon how well staffed the Ranch House is. Finally, the part starts out as a Buckboard-sized packing box that requires copious amounts of Equipment to assemble. Unlike the smaller inflatable structures, the Ranch House cannot be disassembled.

- Pipeline Mass Driver (Nanolathing): The Pipeline lets you transfer resources and KIS inventory items to unloaded vessels in range. The transfers can be ground-to-ground or ground-to-orbit. Each destination must have its own Pipeline. Be sure to check the construction requirements; Pipelines are expensive- they need lots of Equipment and Konkrete. Like the Ranch House, the Pipeline starts out as a Buckboard-sized packing box, and cannot be disassembled.

- Orbital Pipeline (Nanolathing): The orbital variant of the Pipeline can perform orbit-to-orbit transfers and receive deliveries from ground-based Pipelines. Orbit-to-ground transfers are not supported.

- Rangeland Construction Pad (Advanced Construction): Like the Ranch House, the Rangeland starts out as a Buckboard-sized packing box. Once assembled, it forms a large pad from which you can build new vessels if you have Extraplanetary Launchpads installed. It also cannot be disassembled.
KNOWN ISSUE: The Rangeland allows vessel construction even when compacted.

- Buffalo Recycler Arm (Advanced Construction): This part can recycle parts that come in contact with its blowtorch. It doesn't require a skilled engineer.

- Lasso Aero/Hydro Scoop (Aerodynamic Systems, Advanced Aerodynamics): This specialized atmospheric/oceanic intake contains filters and processing units to retrieve valuable resources from the atmosphere and oceans of a planet. It comes in three sizes.

Bug Fixes And Enhancements
- Reduced reactor output from the Nukeworks but made it last longer.
- Nukeworks now produces NuclearWaste as part of its output products in Classic Stock play mode.
- Added Nuclear Reprocessor to the Nukeworks.
- WBT update.

Just updated Pathinder to 1.13.1 to fix IVA issues with the Ranch House. @SpaceKadet also noted some issues with using the SpyGlass with Extraplanetary Launchpads and I'll be investigating that this week. I think it has to do with the part's orientation in Unity; I presume the Survey Station in EL that's using the Hitchhiker module works fine... Meanwhile the new Rangeland pad should help.

I very strongly suspect that any problems with using the SpyGlass as a survey station are due to not manning the part. if SpaceKadet is the person doing Kerbal Explosive Kolonisation, then that certainly is his problem (I've already informed that person).

Some points:

• Without a kerbal in the survey station, the range is very limited (20m).
  • Putting a kerbal in the suvey station increases the range. 50m for unskilled, then doubling from 100m for every experience level up to 2000m (1600m for level 4) for a skilled kerbal. Skilled means has the survey skill which EL defaults to Pilots.
  • EL's build menu displays the site name (taken from the stake names (all stakes within one site must have the same name (allows for multiple nearby sites)) as a drop-down list. If no sites have been found, EL instead displays a red "error" message.
  • EL's stake plaques show only for selected sites. If the survey station can't find the site, the site cannott be selected and thus its plaques cannot be shown.
  • EL will still do a survey build when no site is found, but things are very unlikely to go well: the survey station's position and orientation are used.

While this may not be SpaceKadet's problem, I hope it helps others. However, this is why I asked you to add crew capacity to the SpyGlass last year :) (and, iirc, you did for the next release).

1 hour ago, taniwha said:

I very strongly suspect that any problems with using the SpyGlass as a survey station are due to not manning the part. if SpaceKadet is the person doing Kerbal Explosive Kolonisation, then that certainly is his problem (I've already informed that person).

Some points:

• Without a kerbal in the survey station, the range is very limited (20m).
  • Putting a kerbal in the suvey station increases the range. 50m for unskilled, then doubling from 100m for every experience level up to 2000m (1600m for level 4) for a skilled kerbal. Skilled means has the survey skill which EL defaults to Pilots.
  • EL's build menu displays the site name (taken from the stake names (all stakes within one site must have the same name (allows for multiple nearby sites)) as a drop-down list. If no sites have been found, EL instead displays a red "error" message.
  • EL's stake plaques show only for selected sites. If the survey station can't find the site, the site cannott be selected and thus its plaques cannot be shown.
  • EL will still do a survey build when no site is found, but things are very unlikely to go well: the survey station's position and orientation are used.

While this may not be SpaceKadet's problem, I hope it helps others. However, this is why I asked you to add crew capacity to the SpyGlass last year :) (and, iirc, you did for the next release).

Yup, I recall adding in an IVA and single seat. Would the physical orientation of the part make a difference? "Up" for the hitchhiker in Unity is +Y, while the "nose" of the SpyGlass points +Z, not +Y. Would that make a difference? The issues I've seen is that vessels spawn in the ground, and they've had to do some interesting changes to the stakes to make vessels spawn correctly. I just want to make sure that the SpyGlass is set up properly for use with EL. :)

Yup thats me! I havent tested it yet but i sure that not manning the part and distance if the stakes was my problem, i was delibratly puttin things far away because i have in the past made 'slightly big' ships......

On 14/10/2017 at 10:26 PM, DStaal said:

How early tech?  Usual advice is either to try to bring a docking port and use KIS to attach it, or to grab with a CLAW.  If you aren't using CLS, I think you could attach a small pipe via KIS as well.  (With CLS that wouldn't help you, as you wouldn't be able to transfer the Kerbal through it.)

KAS + chutes + orbital bumping. Theres my fun :P

On 10/12/2017 at 1:26 PM, Angel-125 said:

As you can see, you can change the room's flag on the fly. @JustJim I'd say the Ranch House is done!

Next up is the plugin coding for the "Pipeline" mass driver, and the parts that go with it. :)

Sorry, I was busy working on my latest chapter and didn't see this until today... WOW!  That is stunning!!!

I'm downloading it now... Thank you!!!

@Angel-125: The part orientation makes a difference only when there are no sites found, but that leads to bad positioning anyway, so for a good setup: no, orientation does not matter. EL's red text is there for a reason :) (the ability to build anyway is too, though }:> bwahahaaaa).

My original orbital cleanup attempts were back in KSP 0.19 (before KAS split up and KAS wasn't as... versatile then). I made a basket on the front of my rocket to help push debris from orbit (getting the thing into orbit was a challenge as it was before EL, too). Come to think of it, that basket may have been part of the inspiration for using recycling bins in EL.

@Angel-125 With the OSE Workshop setup for the Hacienda, the description says it can sift the rare metals and exotic materials out of dirt, but I don't see that as a converter.  Where should it show up? Or is it just part of the description. Thanks for all the new pieces, building up equipment (or tryin' to) now to start deploying it all. This base was in a great spot for Aurum, but is a bit rubbish on construction materials.

1 hour ago, Krakatoa said:

@Angel-125 With the OSE Workshop setup for the Hacienda, the description says it can sift the rare metals and exotic materials out of dirt, but I don't see that as a converter.  Where should it show up? Or is it just part of the description. Thanks for all the new pieces, building up equipment (or tryin' to) now to start deploying it all. This base was in a great spot for Aurum, but is a bit rubbish on construction materials.

You can use the strip miner to get the rare metals and exotic minerals. It's on the Claimjumper. I forgot that I deleted the dirt processor once I made the prospector...