[Min KSP: 1.12.2] Pathfinder - Space Camping & Geoscience

Angelo Kerman

I've been playing Planetbase for a bit, and it's given me some ideas for Pathfinder's end-game parts. Now that I've done some planning for the Buffalo's last major parts update (I'll work on that after finishing up DSEV), I'm looking at some tweaks for Pathfinder as well. One thing that I realized is that you can assemble the boxed parts (Ranch House, Rangeland, Pipeline) in the VAB/SPH and print the whole base on site. That means I don't need to make separate parts just for the Sandcastle 3D printer, which saves me some time. So, the Ranch House will be getting some upgrades:

- Renamed to Hogan, it rolls off the tongue better then Ranch House.

- New configurations: Community Center (the existing functionality), Dormatory, and Study Hall. All three configurations retain the greenhouse.

- Dormatory: Combines Pigpen and OPAL functionality. It also generates contracts to send Tourists to the base for fun and profit.

- Study Hall: Just like the stock MPL, you can train up your kerbals here to improve their ratings. Additionally, you can train a Tourist into a Pilot, Engineer, or Scientist with enough time (and possibly Funds).

Edited by Angel-125

19 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

I've been playing Planetbase for a bit, and it's given me some ideas for Pathfinder's end-game parts. Now that I've done some planning for the Buffalo's last major parts update (I'll work on that after finishing up DSEV), I'm looking at some tweaks for Pathfinder as well. One thing that I realized is that you can assemble the boxed parts (Ranch House, Rangeland, Pipeline) in the VAB/SPH and print the whole base on site. That means I don't need to make separate parts just for the Sandcastle 3D printer, which saves me some time. So, the Ranch House will be getting some upgrades:

- Renamed to Hogan, it rolls off the tongue better then Ranch House.

- New configurations: Community Center (the existing functionality), Dormatory, and Study Hall. All three configurations retain the greenhouse.

- Dormatory: Combines Pigpen and OPAL functionality. It also generates contracts to send Tourists to the base for fun and profit.

- Study Hall: Just like the stock MPL, you can train up your kerbals here to improve their ratings. Additionally, if you can train a Tourist into a Pilot, Engineer, or Scientist with enough time (and possibly Funds).

Sounds like this Hogan is going to be a bit of a hero.

1 hour ago, Sudragon said:

Sounds like this Hogan is going to be a bit of a hero.

I know nuzzing!

I'll make some modifications to the ground-based Pipeline so that you can make it an integrated part of a 3D-printed base.

Other parts I have planned are:

Spirit Lodge: This part is like the Doc Science Lab, but on a larger scale. Instead of the greenhouse dome, it has a working telescope (if you have, like Tarsier installed).

Wigwam: This part is the Hacienda on a larger scale. It might have hangar-like extensions.

Crew Tubes: Basically just go-betweens for the various modules.

Buffalo Docking Port: Enough said.

Tycoon: Think of an oil derrick, but it is a drill with a lot of capacity.

Windmill: Not sure if I'll make this given that we have geothermal plants and fusion reactors already, but it could generate power on worlds with an atmosphere.

The basic idea is that the boxed parts can either be hauled to the site and built, or pre-expanded in the VAB/SPH and assembled into a complete base, then printed onsite using a staffed EL workshop or the Sandcastle 3D printer (once EL is released with automated workshop capability). Makes things really versatile that way. :)

Edited by Angel-125

Hey @Angel-125, was doing a bit of testing with the fix on resource distribution, and I am now getting resources sent around! I do sometimes have to turn distribution off and on again on scene change, and in that install, the phantom LF/O is still coming back. I tried checking the information on a D2 science lab I had in the area, and got NRE spam. Figured it might just be something with my save, so I created a new install, with only Squad, the full WBI suite (sans BARIS), and CRP (for the purposes of the test). I didn't make it as far as checking resource distribution because I tried to reconfigure a D2 SciLab in the SPH in Sandbox mode and this NRE (the same from my main install) started spamming the log, and the base layer of the dialogue box for modifying the Lab came up, but no buttons. I grabbed the first instance of the spam, but it was this repeated until I force-closed the game, couldn't hit any buttons on the screen while it was happening and esc did nothing.

[EXC 11:10:09.617] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    WildBlueIndustries.DistributionView.DrawView ()
    WildBlueIndustries.WBIResourceDistributor.DrawOpsWindow (System.String buttonLabel)
    WildBlueIndustries.OpsManagerView.DrawWindowContents (Int32 windowId)
    WildBlueIndustries.Dialog`1[T].PreDrawWindowContents (Int32 windowId)
    UnityEngine.GUILayout+LayoutedWindow.DoWindow (Int32 windowID)
    UnityEngine.GUI.CallWindowDelegate (UnityEngine.WindowFunction func, Int32 id, UnityEngine.GUISkin _skin, Int32 forceRect, Single width, Single height, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style)
[EXC 11:10:09.631] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    WildBlueIndustries.WBIResourceDistributor.DrawOpsWindow (System.String buttonLabel)
    UnityEngine.GUI.CallWindowDelegate (UnityEngine.WindowFunction func, Int32 id, UnityEngine.GUISkin _skin, Int32 forceRect, Single width, Single height, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style)
[ERR 11:10:09.634] GUI Error: You are pushing more GUIClips than you are popping. Make sure they are balanced)

This was a fresh install, only WBI, stock, CRP, and MM. The test craft was just a Clydesdale, a series of Duna-8s with different empty resources, and I had just added the D2 SciLab on the back and selected the control panel button.  Lemme know if I need to drop anything else in here for you, and thank you for your work.

Edited by Krakatoa

ok i have to admit defeat, @Angel-125 how do i use the mass drivers, i have over 50000mbs in the ranch house, and so much lf and ox i could send a car to orbit the andromeda galazy but it will still only allow me to send jusr over a ton of rps to orbit at laythe (havent setup anywhere else)  im stumped, also if i use the orbital mass driver on a ground craft will it work for sending things ground to ground?

22 hours ago, Krakatoa said:

Hey @Angel-125, was doing a bit of testing with the fix on resource distribution, and I am now getting resources sent around! I do sometimes have to turn distribution off and on again on scene change, and in that install, the phantom LF/O is still coming back. I tried checking the information on a D2 science lab I had in the area, and got NRE spam. Figured it might just be something with my save, so I created a new install, with only Squad, the full WBI suite (sans BARIS), and CRP (for the purposes of the test). I didn't make it as far as checking resource distribution because I tried to reconfigure a D2 SciLab in the SPH in Sandbox mode and this NRE (the same from my main install) started spamming the log, and the base layer of the dialogue box for modifying the Lab came up, but no buttons. I grabbed the first instance of the spam, but it was this repeated until I force-closed the game, couldn't hit any buttons on the screen while it was happening and esc did nothing.

[EXC 11:10:09.617] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[EXC 11:10:09.631] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[ERR 11:10:09.634] GUI Error: You are pushing more GUIClips than you are popping. Make sure they are balanced)

This was a fresh install, only WBI, stock, CRP, and MM. The test craft was just a Clydesdale, a series of Duna-8s with different empty resources, and I had just added the D2 SciLab on the back and selected the control panel button.  Lemme know if I need to drop anything else in here for you, and thank you for your work.

Thanks, I'll take a look.

21 hours ago, Space Kadet said:

ok i have to admit defeat, @Angel-125 how do i use the mass drivers, i have over 50000mbs in the ranch house, and so much lf and ox i could send a car to orbit the andromeda galazy but it will still only allow me to send jusr over a ton of rps to orbit at laythe (havent setup anywhere else)  im stumped, also if i use the orbital mass driver on a ground craft will it work for sending things ground to ground?

The mass driver is designed to impart a maximum amount of kinetic energy into a projectile. The system is calibrated to deliver up to 10 tonnes from the munar surface into munar orbit. It can send about a tonne from the surface of Kerbin into low Kerbin orbit. From the Pipeline config:

//Maximum amount of kinetic energy that the mass driver can generate
		//K.E. = (0.5 * projectile mass) * (velocity^2)
		//Calibrated for a 14 metric ton projectile accelerated to 650 m/sec (~Mun orbital velocity)
		//Factor in fuel and container mass, and you can put 10 metric tonnes into munar orbit.
		maxKineticEnergy = 2958978750

If you know the orbital velocity of the planet you're on, you can calculate the max payload allowed.

The Orbital Pipeline is designed to transfer resources and KIS items between orbiting vessels, and receive payloads from the ground-based Pipeline. As configured, you cannot transfer items from orbit to ground; I decided that that would be a bit too tricky. However, I anticipated that somebody would want to do this, so if you go to the WildBlueIndustries/Pathfinder/Parts/BoxedParts/Pipeline/OrbitalPipeline.cfg file, look for the WBIPipeEndpoint entry and set the following to true:

//Can the pipeline send payloads from orbit to ground? Normally this isn't allowed.
		allowOrbitToGround = false

I will not change the default behavior for anyone who thinks it should be allowed. Instead, simply change the config file in your game.

I love the calculations! And thus i shall explain my misunderstanding. When I read it p, i thought you meant 10 tonnes from kerbin to the orbit of the mun :P hence the confusion at not being able to launch more than a tonne from laythe. 

But thanks for the info, the plans need adjusting now.... 

i love all this, your hard work is hugely appreciated!

On 11/30/2017 at 7:03 PM, Bombaatu said:

FYI, your latest Pathfinder release zip on github has two 'Pathfinder' folders: one under Game Data & one under Game Data/WildBlue

I noticed this too. Version files show 1.16 is Wildblue and 1.17 under Gamedata.

2 hours ago, JeffreyCor said:

I noticed this too. Version files show 1.16 is Wildblue and 1.17 under Gamedata.

It'll be fixed in the next release.

5 minutes ago, Space Kadet said:

THE SPACE CANNON WORKS!!!!! so i got the mass driver working, and ferried all the rocket parts i have made to the station. this is great! 

Glad you got it working. You can transfer KIS items too, so if you forget a wrench you can shoot one up to orbit. :)

3 hours ago, Space Kadet said:

updated thismorning but im gettin alot of mod manager errors for the wild blue suit. heres the thingys...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ly1tjwtp2a07f7h/KSP.log?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0i2a44oc1bar46v/output_log.txt?dl=0

If you're using ModuleManager 3.0, drop back to 2.8.1. MM 3.0 changed things and is now reporting a bunch of syntax errors that used to be silent.

You also have a bunch of errors from Far Future Technologies:

[LOG 19:09:51.114] [Far Future Tech]: Tech is available
[LOG 19:09:51.116] Power production too low, clearing buffer
[LOG 19:09:51.123] [Far Future Tech]: Tech is available
[LOG 19:09:51.125] Power production too low, clearing buffer
[ERR 19:09:51.134] Module ModuleFusionReactor threw during OnUpdate: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at FarFutureTechnologies.ModuleFusionReactor.OnUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Part.ModulesOnUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

... And Extraplanetary Launchpads...

[EXC 19:38:58.099] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    ExtraplanetaryLaunchpads.SurveySite+<GetEnumerator>c__Iterator0.MoveNext ()
    ExtraplanetaryLaunchpads.ExSurveyStation.Highlight (Boolean on)
    ExtraplanetaryLaunchpads.ExBuildWindow.UpdateGUIState ()
    ExtraplanetaryLaunchpads.ExBuildWindow.Select_Pad (ExtraplanetaryLaunchpads.ExBuildControl selected_pad)
    ExtraplanetaryLaunchpads.ExBuildWindow.SelectPad ()
    ExtraplanetaryLaunchpads.ExBuildWindow.WindowGUI (Int32 windowID)

Edited by Angel-125

31 minutes ago, buckykat said:

The Ranch House's initial pipe connector seems to be backwards. The pipe being built from it only shows green when the kerbal building it is in front of the box, so the pipe is clipping through it. https://imgur.com/a/299zl

Seems to be working properly on my end, but I'll wait a few weeks until more issues crop up; I'm a little tired of creating release after release.

Edited by Angel-125

8 hours ago, buckykat said:

The Ranch House's initial pipe connector seems to be backwards. The pipe being built from it only shows green when the kerbal building it is in front of the box, so the pipe is clipping through it. https://imgur.com/a/299zl

ive not had that issue...

8 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

If you're using ModuleManager 3.0, drop back to 2.8.1. MM 3.0 changed things and is now reporting a bunch of syntax errors that used to be silent.

You also have a bunch of errors from Far Future Technologies:

[LOG 19:09:51.114] [Far Future Tech]: Tech is available
[LOG 19:09:51.116] Power production too low, clearing buffer
[LOG 19:09:51.123] [Far Future Tech]: Tech is available
[LOG 19:09:51.125] Power production too low, clearing buffer
[ERR 19:09:51.134] Module ModuleFusionReactor threw during OnUpdate: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at FarFutureTechnologies.ModuleFusionReactor.OnUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Part.ModulesOnUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

... And Extraplanetary Launchpads...

[EXC 19:38:58.099] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    ExtraplanetaryLaunchpads.SurveySite+<GetEnumerator>c__Iterator0.MoveNext ()
    ExtraplanetaryLaunchpads.ExSurveyStation.Highlight (Boolean on)
    ExtraplanetaryLaunchpads.ExBuildWindow.UpdateGUIState ()
    ExtraplanetaryLaunchpads.ExBuildWindow.Select_Pad (ExtraplanetaryLaunchpads.ExBuildControl selected_pad)
    ExtraplanetaryLaunchpads.ExBuildWindow.SelectPad ()
    ExtraplanetaryLaunchpads.ExBuildWindow.WindowGUI (Int32 windowID)

i think a little tag is required for @Nertea and @taniwha, i didnt missed the errors for them but i was having some op issues, EL stopped working completly (as you will see) and i wasent able to move uranium into the safer reactors using the transfer fuel mechanic.

ill roll back the mod manager for now, i hadn't actually realised i updated it, but i checked and there isn't two...

Hmm, at first, I thought "I fixed that...", but then I noticed the subtle difference: that's in SurveySite while the bug I fixed was in SurveyStake (yeah, the naming bugs me sometimes).

It looks like either a site somehow went null, or a stake did. I suspect the latter because in your vid when you showed the broken window (15:32, the greenish DO), I saw some stake plaques. More importantly, I saw only one and I'm pretty sure you set up two. It might help if you can get me the full log from when it happens.

While I'm continuing my goal to make DSEV feature complete this month, I'm also doing some Pathfinder stuff. Here you can see that I gave the Hogan (formerly Ranch House) a konkrete texture to reflect how it is 3D printed on site with local materials:

nExTSNi.png

You can assemble it with KIS- it comes in a packing box and needs a lot of resources- or you can expand it in the VAB/SPH as part of a prefabricated base that you build using Extraplanetary Launchpads. Next Pathfinder update will let you configure it as a Community Center, Dormitory, or Study Hall. The Community Center does what the existing part does now, but some of that functionality will be moved around as other parts get made. The Dormitory gives you life support options, but thanks to some new contracts I made over the past couple of days, it also attracts tourists to your base that could potentially become colonists:

zFZuWyP.png

I also made a new tourist contract that asks you to send kerbals to a specific vessel, have them stay for a few days, and bring them home:

w2001lQ.png

As its name implies, the Study Hall is a place to train your kerbals- just like the stock Mobile Processing Lab. It will also be the place where you can turn Tourists into Pilots, Engineers, or Scientists. Combined with the new tourism contract, you'll have an alternate way to add new astronauts without having to pay ever increasing fees or rescuing a stranded kerbal.

Edited by Angel-125