Would you buy a DLC (or a whole new game) for KSP that was for realism?

Ristse

Do you want a Realistic DLC or new Game?  

316 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want a Realistic DLC or new Game?

Sure, long as it includes wing interactions, utterly realistic tank fractions (e. g., take my ultilization slider away!), and the ability to do procedural EVERYTHING. (like in real life, would have a significant price hike for not buying COTS and instead custom-making your tanks, engines, avionics, etc.). Wait, this isn't the RO suggestions subforum. Oops.

But seriously, yes, I would, once a little spit and polish is added to the game. Currently the RO developers are in "kid in a candy store" mode- albeit a rather maths-intensive one. Give 'em a year past the release of a stable 64-bit Windows client and I think they might have something ready for potential release... maybe.

Yup, but not if it ran on or performed like KSP/Unity.

I'd love an official KSP/RO game, and I'd be quite willing to pay for it... but to beat KSP+mods It'd have to come without all the engine limitations and bugs we have now.

I bought KSP so... no.

Should I pay them to improve their game? no.

If they made another game just like KSP but a bit different would i buy it? probably no.

If they made a total offshoot game that they were going to develop alongside KSP like they have with KSP (for example Kerbal Civilization Program or some racing game or production strategy game or another kind of building game i dont know) then i'd be looking closely.

I dont think i'm one of those "here, have my money" kind of people :/ though i did buy KSP at .18 as i seen good game potential obviously.

Damn... I didn't read the question (nor the description) right...

I personally have no interest in Realism Overhaul. I understand it's appeal and I think it's great to see what people do with it but for me it hold no interest. That being said I would buy it if only to support squad and push them to release (even more) content for the game.

utterly realistic tank fractions (e. g., take my ultilization slider away!)
You do realize that the utilization slider is one of the ways that Real Fuels gives you to make replicas match reality? It's your own fault if you're cranking it up to 100% for every tank and then complaining about how it's "not realistic".

Should I pay them to improve their game? no.
I don't understand this. You paid your money and you got the product. The deal is done. Why would you expect them to provide you with anything else for free? Does GM give you a free upgrade to your car every couple of months? Do you get a free new iPhone each time one comes out?

If they continue to improve the product and produce new content what's wrong with expecting to be paid for that work?

Well, to be fair many bought the game as a work-in-progress alpha/beta release. I know I did. That doesn't mean I'd be happy with my deal if Squad had shut up shop the moment I bought the game, especially if at the time I bought it I was looking forward to promised improvements and expansions.

Also, it's in Squad's interest to refine their game and improve it to attract as many players (buyers) as possible. Not only that, but as a new developer they need to establish credibility that they make a good product and don't leave things half finished.

Does that mean we should buy DLCs just to make sure they do that? Not at all, if anything it's the reverse - they should do that to make sure we're interested in any future releases.

i dont see squad making a realism DLC purely because of the existing mods- that would be a HUGE F-You to the community and modders especially because they will just get their hard work undermined by squad and squad would be making money which mod makers dont. I consider squad to be a moral company (yes an oxymoron (no not really-JOKING) but still) and I am certain that they would get out new functionality that would only be possible from accessing to the internals of KSP and not by modding (or at least stuff that are barely possible in mod form like multiplayer and cooperations with organisations like NASA and SpaceX)

Do you realize that you can realism and freedom at the same time? Grinding and realism aren't mutual, in fact, realism spurs creativity to get around obstacles, most of all if its realistic I can say that it could very well exist around these times.

But that's just my opinion, I just don't find why realism is compared to the mundane. I assure you there is nothing mundane about a Saturn V or a space shuttle but it is certainly realistic.

Thanks to EladDv something just hit me. The game as we know has stock fairings when a mod exists called procedural fairings?

that came as a part of the new aerodynamics and not because they thought it would be a major improvement to the game but because it was necessary, Squad tests the game as stock and even if they didnt they cant use the mod and modify it for the new aerodynamics- they had to write their own fairing system in a way they deemed reasonable.

No. However, it is purely a principle, since I regard the video-gaming industry to be moving in a dangerous direction, especially regarding DLC's That is not to say that every DLC is bad or does not justify the price-tag, I simply remain consistent in my principle. The focus in my opinion should be fixing what is broken or polishing what is not yet finished, like career-mode which feels shallow or the obvious, even game-breaking, glitches and stability issues.

Instead, I believe the modding community should keep modding, and when we see something which truly deserves acknowledgement, as RSS or RP and many more, we simply donate to the authors, so they can claim the monetary reward.

Let me make it clear though, even though I probably would buy a KSP DLC because the content added actually would justify the price-tag, I wont due to a principle. A principle which is a product of a much larger gaming-industry debate, which has absolutely nothing to do with KSP or Squad.

Probably, but calling it DLC would be very, very stupid.

Either call it expansion pack, or even better, release it as a completely new game.

For some people it seems to matter a lot what it is called, even if the price/content is the same.

I don't think they would ever do this, because of mods.

Edited by Joonatan1998

DLC no, but if a whole new game (with a new and improved engine, and so forth) were made, I would definitely be willing to buy it. KSP is unique and one of the first of its kind, which means that there are lots of areas that can be improved if the game were to be built from the ground up again.

that came as a part of the new aerodynamics and not because they thought it would be a major improvement to the game but because it was necessary, Squad tests the game as stock and even if they didnt they cant use the mod and modify it for the new aerodynamics- they had to write their own fairing system in a way they deemed reasonable.
heres the thing, squads rendition of procedural fairings is messy, not intuitive and more often than not lamented by the players (from what ive seen) while the mod Procedural Fairings is all around superior. They imho need to dump their fairings for the mod. Just saying

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.