Atom grammar for KSP configs

Autochton

For those of you who use the Atom editor, I've made a grammar for KSP config files (as well as persistent-save files and craft files) and ModuleManager patches. It can be installed from inside the editor by the name of kerbal-config, or you may find the github repository here:

https://github.com/gertsonderby/kerbal-config

Pull requests, issue reports, scandalous photographs of prominent politicians in delicate situations, praise, banter and whatnot else you can think of is welcome.

• 9 months later...

I know this is a necro, guilty, but I feel bad about not seeing any posts in this thread saying thanks, and this is far and away one of the most useful and well done "mods" out there.

I can't tell you how many errors I've found with this tool alone (from myself and other modders:D). It got me into using Atom (and away from using Sublime, thanks for that alone!), which is pretty slick.

So thank you!:)

---

There are a few things I noticed it doesn't seem to handle for MM patches, namely :FIRST and :LAST (but those aren't actually listed on the wiki I don't think). Also, usage of "|" for OR makes it go white (which usually indicates bad). Only things I can remember off hand.

---

One of the big initial hurdles (besides actually figuring out how to get it installed, haha), was to get it to recognize KSP configs and automatically select the grammar. I had to add the below snippet to "config.cson" under the section "core:" and it works a treat. (Incidently, I also recommend using the Snippets feature). Highly recommended to everyone (as Atom is cross platform)!

Cheers.

customFileTypes:
      "source.ksp-cfg": [
        "cfg"
      ]

Thanks! It's always nice to get evidence that I'm not the only person to ever use a thing I made. ;-)

As for the file selection, I had trouble with that, myself, and ended up using the trick you mention. I wanted it to install the file types it supports (including craft and save files too), but I haven't gotten it working, and it's been a while since I really used it myself. (Really should get back to it, I have a mod I promised to maintain and haven't (u_u') ) But anyone who has suggestions or bug reports is welcome to raise them in issues, and anyone who feels they can solve something is, of course, welcome to open a pull request. I'll try to deal with them ASAP.

Especially, I'd be interested in possible snippets, since that is a really cool feature.

So, I'm relatively new to even using Notepad++, and know NOTHING about Atom...

Are there any advantages to using Atom over Notepad++?

I DO notice that sometimes the formatting (tabs & spaces) I set in Notepad++ does not seem to always carry over into the .cfg, as I can open it with Notepad, WordPad, or even LibreOffice Writer, and it will not be cleanly formatted the way I had it in Notepad++...

@Stone Blue I can only speak for myself, but what drew me to Atom in particular was the ease with which you can install add-ons. I even have a plugin that synchronizes my settings so I can have the same plugins on different machines. ;-) As well, I do most of my developing in JavaScript these days, and there's very good support for that. Atom is, in point of fact, itself written in JS (using Electron).

I haven't used Notepad++ in... fifteen years I think? A very long time, anyway. So for the actual differences between them, there you probably need someone else.

• 3 years later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.