xtoro

Which version performed best for you?

Best performing version  

188 members have voted

1. 1. Best performing version

• 1.x
    • 0.24.x
    • 0.23.x

By performance I mean the ability to create larger ships(150+ parts?) with good FPS. If crashes are a factor in your decision, I'd also like to know this. Or if your preferred version isn't listed, just post it up.

NOTE: If you are a new player since 1.x, or you've only ever played one version, please don't vote since you can't make a comparison between versions. Thanks!

Edited by xtoro

If you are purely talking about performance of large part count vessels, I don't think it is any different between the ones listed. There haven't been any improvements in that area because there really wasn't much they could do with Unity 4. It is all hardware based and without multi-threading, code can't really fix that.

In terms of performance with many-part ships, 0.90 (where I came in) was the best. Each version since then has been laggier than the last. I launched at least one 250-part ship in 1.0.2; in 1.0.4 the practical limit is down to about 100 parts.

0.25 was the best, IIRC.

0.90 and or 0.25 (i didnt see any changes from these in terms of prformance). I could run in excess of 1000 parts on these versions (although anything above ~1000 became very laggy), now with 1.0 1000 is more or less the absolute max ill load in to the game let alone launch (lag becomes unbeareable above ~500 parts in atmo, and ~800 in vcaccum). Its not that bad, but it has cut down on my plans for making cruisers (the maximum ive managed to create sofar under 300 parts in a frigate.

back in 0.90 i had my hard limit per ship set at ~500, now ive brought that down to 300, that alone should tell you how much worse 1.0 is especially with too much in one spot. Heck, the race to cut parts has gotten so bad ive started editing fuel tank capacity to cut down on stacks of fuel tanks, my SSTL (single stage to laythe, bop, pol, and back) fighters have gone from ~80 parts with missiles, to under 60 now. Cutting parts has never been this important, id say even pre .24 versions beat 1.0 and up, although for some reason .25 and .90 were the best.

Hopefully 1.1 will at the bare minimum give us 0.90 performance, although im hoping for a bit more since id like to have a ship with over 9000 parts actually load and not crash the game. Actually the ONLY improvement 1.0 had was a reduction in the ram leaks, although even now if i play too long and switch scenes alot, itll crash eventually too.

As for crashing, its been an issue with all versions, some stuff like claws were improved, but the random crash if you play too long seems to be here to stay.

If you are purely talking about performance of large part count vessels, I don't think it is any different between the ones listed. There haven't been any improvements in that area because there really wasn't much they could do with Unity 4. It is all hardware based and without multi-threading, code can't really fix that.

You didn't get a performance drop with 1.x? I found that building the same ships I had in 0.25 yielded much more lag. Don't really recall 0.90 because it went by quick for me in my mind for some reason.

For me, flip a coin between 0.25 and 1.04.

I tend to run KSP with Kerbal Eng Redux and pretty much nothing else, the latest version runs smooth as silk for my mid-range gaming PC. I have zero complaints about KSPs performance. Generally I'm astounded that it can cope with my naive designs. It copes well and seldom crashes. A splendid product.

0.90 by far.

I could launch an 800 part craft and record, with a smooth framerate, no time slowing.

Version 1+ has taken a massive nosedive in performance. Fingers crossed for unity 5.

Suggestion: maybe add separate options to the poll for 1.0.2 and 1.0.4; for me the most noticeable performance difference has been between those two versions. (I never really pushed the part count in 0.90 so I can't say for sure how fast it was, beyond a general feeling it was faster than 1.x.)

Dang! you dont mention good old 0.20, That was my favorite version. Now im a veteran player and all the magic has just left the experience. :(

By performance I mean the ability to create larger ships(150+ parts?) with good FPS. If crashes are a factor in your decision, I'd also like to know this. Or if your preferred version isn't listed, just post it up.

Sadly I can't answer this, as I haven't really used any huge ships since like 0.25.

1.0.4 seems the most stable version so far, though the earlier iterations of 1.0.x were less stable than 0.90 was. I don't know offhand if 0.90 was better or worse than 1.0.4.

I have to say 0.24, but only because it was at the sweet spot of my mod usage. Now it's getting a little out of hand.

I really can't recall... it was a while ago, and among versions and mods they all kinda blur in retrospect

what I can say is ALL versions performed wonderfully and were so greatly reliable up into the point where I started piling mods on top of mods and then mods for those mods, and so on....

there's gotta be a pattern there, somewhere :P

what I can say is ALL versions performed wonderfully
Dem rose-colored glasses...

I think it was around 0.24 that worked really well, but don't really remember. 0.90 was awful, but I still should be thankful it worked on my ubercrappy laptop.

1.0.2/1.0.4 have been bad in terms of performance for me. 300 part ships are a struggle for me now, while in earlier versions I could go up to 600 to 800 before struggling. Reducing part count and improving aerodynamics have played a large part in my post-1.0 gameplay.

Performance really took a dive for me with 1.0x. But it's difficult to pin the blame on the game, since it's so heavily modded. For example just a couple of big procedural SRB will turn any launch real laggy.

Well, I enjoyed 23.5 up to 0.90. 1.x broke joystick support for me and also it appears performance.

I love the parts and features and everything of 1.0 and beyond, but it's been freezing up and crashing quite regularly ever since 0.90, especially during ship design and scene changes. It often takes multiple force-quit-and-restart sessions just to design a single ship.

0.22-0.24 were the best. I had space trains up to 1100+ parts which played like 300part ones today. I hope this will be fixed with the new version.

To be brutally honest, I've only really started building big things in 1.0, but my computer isn't that great at running KSP so I never get very good results. :P That's just me though - I'm often envious of the people who can build huge interplanetary vessels with very little performance drop.

0.90 I could fly around 800 part ships with lag that did not render the game beyond unplayable. Waiting eagerly for Unity 5.