Devnote Tuesday: Getting Ever Closer

SQUAD

Thanks for the Congrats and well wishes all, tis very humbling. Like Alshain said don't jump to conclusions or read in extra info

Jumping to another conclusions does mean you'll have the access you need to make sure your mods get overhauled to suit the new UI?

Oh and yes congrates on the role.

Another reason to expect good things from 1.1.

I'm excited to see what becomes of the KSPedia project. In my mind I'm envisioning something akin to the Civilopedia in Civilization games. Hopefully the KSPedia can grow over time to become a useful and detailed a reference tool for new players and veterans alike. :)

Seriously, this thing sounds amazing. :D If you ever need an extra helping hand with writing/structuring/formatting/proofing entries in the KSPedia... you know who to call.

Edited by Kerano

Absolutely. They might release U5 alone or with other features, but it will definitely be included in the next update. U5 will allow more than 4GBs of RAM, which will help most people with mods.

Unless I have missed something, the updated tools with U5 *MAY* allow a reasonably stable 64bit version to be created.

I have seen no guarantee or declaration from Squad that 64bit is going to be coming with the U5 update, I have only seen comments that U5 finally has the tools needed to allow squad to do useful amounts of QA on a 64bit build.

If anything I would expect a 64bit version with the same features to be released after the 32bit version is released, as the 32bit engine has had many more builds with the benefit of useful debugging tools.

Without 64bit I would not expect more memory available for mods.

Unless I have missed something, the updated tools with U5 *MAY* allow a reasonably stable 64bit version to be created.

I have seen no guarantee or declaration from Squad that 64bit is going to be coming with the U5 update, I have only seen comments that U5 finally has the tools needed to allow squad to do useful amounts of QA on a 64bit build.

If anything I would expect a 64bit version with the same features to be released after the 32bit version is released, as the 32bit engine has had many more builds with the benefit of useful debugging tools.

Without 64bit I would not expect more memory available for mods.

They're talking like 64-bit is a nearly sure thing (quoting this as it has the link and time):

Forward to around 7:30

http://www.twitch.tv/ksptv/v/12115735

64 bit for all platforms

Glad to se kspedia come to life, i posten about the idea almost a year ago:http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/98704-In-game-wiki?p=1513244

Hope they do it in the way I and a few others have envisioned it, with an auto-updating encyclopedia. (That is blank when you start a new career, and then fills up as you explore the Kerbol system.) At least the parts about planets and moons, key bindings etc should of course always be visible.

The load time for KSP itself has also been decreased to about 12 seconds, starting from 27 previously, and he reports scene changes are much quicker as well. That should save an hour or more each day that was previously spent either staring at a progress bar or spinny wheel while the code was compiling, or the game was loading.

As a professional (pfffft!) software developer of many years I can sense how happy this makes the dev team. That is a major win. One of the big frustrations with writing and rewriting code all day long is the jarring mental gearshifts that happen at the start and end of a long delay in a program's execution. It's like a long set of commercials in the middle of an exciting movie. This will no doubt improve the quality of life not only for KSP players (which is seriously awesome in itself) but for the heroic team of talented developers.

Good work!

I look forward to stress testing my CPU with a modded, multi-threaded KSP :).

Stock 1.04 loads as quickly as 18 seconds to the menu music for me (3570k @ 4 GHz with 2 OCZ Vertex 3 120G's in RAID 0), but maybe that's due to caching? The first time I ran it after adding it to C:\, it took 27 seconds.

*Continues holding onto hat in the hope that a firm grip will be required next week.*

It's great to hear about all the upgrades piling into 1.1. Unity 5, 64 bit, performance enhancements, code streamlining - almost like we're coming out of beta ;)

And congrats to TiggerAU on being headhunted! His mods are some of the best utilities out there and a lot of people felt they "should be stock" and can't be done without. Great to see him rewarded for his long service to the KSP community :)

12 seconds? Good lord. And I thought 45 seconds was fast. (e. g., my typical information mods only load-time) At this rate, I won't have time to tab over to the IRC channel and see what ongoing catastrophes are happening...

12 seconds? Good lord. And I thought 45 seconds was fast. (e. g., my typical information mods only load-time) At this rate, I won't have time to tab over to the IRC channel and see what ongoing catastrophes are happening...

Keep in mind that the 12 second load was for a specifically chosen development payload, where some elements aren't being loaded because they're not relevant to the feature/s being tested

It'll probably load faster with the various optimizations and loading parallelizations, but probably not 12 seconds fast with full game assets

Will this update bring about issues with my current craft, in particular to complicated ones? I know this wont truly be known till 1.1 is released, but yea after many hours on getting ships (especially the large ones) into orbit it would be annoying to have to trial and error them should they no longer fly correctly

Example: the kickback boosters went from 2500 fuel to 2600 fuel, not too hard to change but tedious and time consuming if they are already perfectly placed in a vessel, especially if there are quite a few on the ship

Example 2: introducing heating reentry messed up some ships, but of course that was expected knowing heat would now play a factor. But that brings me to the question of what if the update brings changes to the atmosphere to "optimize" it, and craft no longer function the way they do?

- - - Updated - - -

I would agree a higher ISP would be welcome for the aerospike, but it is far from useless for me. Its the only choice in some cases for me

Lets not jump to conclusions. TriggerAU is a good developer, this doesn't mean his mods are going to stock.

No it doesn`t but it can be something we would like and also something we would like info on even if only to not get excited by the prospect.

Of course if it did get made stock then the best features and usability of the original mod would strangely be missing from the stock version leading many to continue to use the mod...

Anyway, grats to you TriggerAu ;)

whats a mk3 ramp? like a ramp you put at the end of the runway lol?

I got a mk3 cargo plane that can haul up a full & unused jumbo tank and return no prob in its cargo bay, i did not need a ramp lol

excuse any possible ignorance on my part :sealed:

Bad news, Squad people, fireblade doesn't need the ramp part, looks like you've got to scrap it!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.