The Mun (Pocket Edition)

Thunderous Echo

This is going to be funny to anyone who understands what I'm doing.

The developers must have SO lazy when they made Pol, since they did this:

GrnsrMz.png (A section of Pol's color map)

This is not light-shaded. This is the actual color map of Pol, and it's already pusedo-LIT.

Also, if you look closely, you can see a line where the equator is, near the top-left of the image.

EDIT: Actually, this might just be a thing that KerbalMaps goes to make the map more readable. Let me check.

Edited by Thunderous Echo

It's only a representation really. Extra planets (or indeed a scaled set of all the planets/moons to set up somewhere in the KSC) is simply to provide a neat visual and a form of sculptured artwork. I'd simply set it up as a series of "Kerbal Konstructs" statics and find a pleasing spot to stick it. If a scaled Kerbol could be created with light emitters and whatnot, it would look awesome at night too.

The next stage would be to find a way to import the entire construct into a single model with an animation that would slowly simulate the movement of the planets/moons in their orbits. But that's way out in the future.

Don't we already have that with KSP itself? ;)

I could certainly see having a meta simulator within the simulator...

Hey, that looks really quite well.

And it let's me think about something a bit different:

I'd like to have a component, that looks like a marzipane potato. That is: a little bit smaller than your Mun, but with the texture of a marzipane potato.

Late October I will visit a convention in Lübeck (Germany). Lübeck is famous for it's marzipane. And for this opportunity I'd like to send a marzipane potato into space.

Could you make this for me?

Thanks in advance

Orbanaschol

Hey, that looks really quite well.

And it let's me think about something a bit different:

I'd like to have a component, that looks like a marzipane potato. That is: a little bit smaller than your Mun, but with the texture of a marzipane potato.

Late October I will visit a convention in Lübeck (Germany). Lübeck is famous for it's marzipane. And for this opportunity I'd like to send a marzipane potato into space.

Could you make this for me?

Thanks in advance

Orbanaschol

That would require having a Mercator projection of the surface of the potato. I have no clue where to get that, so I might just have to cobble an estimation out of side-on pictures. The heightmap would be even more painful, because a sphere wouldn't look right.

I'll see what I can do, but let me finish the planets first.

That would require having a Mercator projection of the surface of the potato. I have no clue where to get that, so I might just have to cobble an estimation out of side-on pictures. The heightmap would be even more painful, because a sphere wouldn't look right.

I'll see what I can do, but let me finish the planets first.

That would be great, thanks.

Actually, marzipane potatoes are little marzipane balls, nearly spherically. They only change shape if you squeeze them, since marzipane is quite soft as wax. But for this purpose you may very well assume they are spheres with no height change. That's why I got the idea, when I saw your little planets.

I found a photo in the german Wikipedia. Here's the link to the article: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marzipankartoffel

Great job on getting on the daily kerbal! It's these kind of random mods that put the fun into KSP.
Congrats on being featured on Modding Monday!
Amazing. Absolutely amazing. Can't wait to use these for fun. :)

Thanks!

Why are they all the same size?

They won't stay that way, don't worry.

That would be great, thanks.

Actually, marzipane potatoes are little marzipane balls, nearly spherically. They only change shape if you squeeze them, since marzipane is quite soft as wax. But for this purpose you may very well assume they are spheres with no height change. That's why I got the idea, when I saw your little planets.

I found a photo in the german Wikipedia. Here's the link to the article: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marzipankartoffel

Wait, am I making the potato, or the candy named after it?

Physics is just a really good suggestion that the universe throws at us. The only problem with not following the physics suggestion is that we are really bad at fooling it.

The question is not if Jool will fit inside the VAB... the real question is whether or not we can shove hard enough to fit Jool into the VAB. After all, if you push hard enough you can fit anything into anything else... well, either that or one of the two objects will rupture and catastrophically collapse.

On the up side, I don't think the plan was ever to make a sculpture of the Kerbol system that functioned like the actual system in space. If that was the goal, however, I could see something being put together with a whole freaking lot of IR joints.

Edited by Gaalidas

Originally, I was going to have the density of each body remain the same for each model.

However, the pocket mun would weigh 122 tons, about 3 times as much as a Rockomax-64 Orange.

I'm sure no one would appreciate that. So I'm going to keep the same relative density, but tone it down for each.

EDIT:

Gilly is smaller than a cubic octagonal strut (about half the size), and Jool barely, just barely, fits in the VAB.

Version 2 is here!

It adds all of the other celestial bodies in the Kerbol system, save for Kerbol itself.

There is no image to go with this announcement, but there will be soon. Someone make an IR solar system and send the craft file to me.

https://kerbalstuff.com/mod/1171/The%20Mun%20%28Pocket%20Edition%29

(Available on CurseForge shortly)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.