A little twist on Launch Clamps.

AxleMC131

The point of doing this is usually best aimed at getting jet engines completely spun up without burning flight fuel. That's burning total ∆v, don'tcha know! :wink:

Spin up on launch clamp fuel, and when thrust is at full power, let 'er rip! :cool:

Sitting on the pad to pump and run is just plain silly! :confused:

Edited by richfiles

The point of doing this is usually best aimed at getting jet engines completely spun up without burning flight fuel. That's burning total ∆v, don'tcha know! :wink:

Spin up on launch clamp fuel, and when thrust is at full power, let 'er rip! :cool:

Sitting on the pad to pump and run is just plain silly! :confused:

There is that, but some real-life rockets do in fact ignite their main (liquid-fuelled) engines before actually lifting off - the Ariane V is a prime example. Main engine consists of a single Vulcan engine, which is lit a whopping seven seconds before the solid boosters are ignited and the rocket actually lifts off!

i suggest this code instead...

MODULE
{
name = ModuleGenerator
isAlwaysActive = False
OUTPUT_RESOURCE
{
name = LiquidFuel
rate = 9
}
OUTPUT_RESOURCE
{
name = Oxidizer
rate = 11
}
}

oh also my rtg mod does close to the same thing. but it is toggable ( in the mods section of my sig) #shameless self promotion.

Also, I totally agree with you on the need for adjustable-length clamps. Having to arrange them in fancy patterns right at the base of a rocket really doesn't look too great.

That's something I want to make more of in my mods-- various size launch clamps/towers. Just haven't had the time to look into it yet. :)

I'm pretty sure real rockets don't do that, the only valves left open at ignition are pressure relief ones.
There is that, but some real-life rockets do in fact ignite their main (liquid-fuelled) engines before actually lifting off - the Ariane V is a prime example. Main engine consists of a single Vulcan engine, which is lit a whopping seven seconds before the solid boosters are ignited and the rocket actually lifts off!

Even if the real ones don't have fuel still being pumped in whilst the engines are firing, this is much more viable for KSP.

Love this idea. But I'll do it the other way: a fuel tank and hose attached to the launch clamps. Because I dislike coding. ;)

Absolutely fine by me - config editing isn't for everyone. Personally I find it quite enjoyable in KSP because it's very simple to make something incredibly rewarding... But I also tried modding Minecraft, and that did not go down well. :P

- - - Updated - - -

That's something I want to make more of in my mods-- various size launch clamps/towers. Just haven't had the time to look into it yet. :)

Dude, I reckon you'd get some great feedback if you figured that out. :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.