[1.2.2] Kerbal Chroma - RGB Chroma Screen/Vessel/Kerbal (Greenscreen)

JoePatrick1

YES! This will be so useful once I start my next video series. No more masking! The problem with filming twice and masking is that KSP does not run the same scene at the same frame rate twice in a row. The result is a 95% accurate replay, but usually still just barely off that you can notice tearing at the edges of the mask area, even with a feathered merge. But with this mod... those days are over!

So happy.

Felbourn, how will you use this? What are you masking now? Are you compositing multiple ships into one shot? Do you have any examples? It seems very useful and cool but I'm having trouble seeing how it will be used in practice.

I record two scenes with Kerbals moving around and then I splice them together into one scene. A greenscreen right behind the Kerbal in a second scene will allow me to more easily merge it into the first scene.

Felbourn, how will you use this? What are you masking now? Are you compositing multiple ships into one shot? Do you have any examples? It seems very useful and cool but I'm having trouble seeing how it will be used in practice.

Oh, I dunno. I've always wanted to greenscreen Jeb running, and composite that on top of stock stampede footage.

Would it be possible to add tracking markers to the greenscreen in a future update? Something akin to the lighter green crosses seen here: photo0525.jpg

This would allow users to track their camera motion, making the mod significantly more useful.

Would it be possible to add tracking markers to the greenscreen in a future update? Something akin to the lighter green crosses seen here: https://vonlitch.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/photo0525.jpg

This would allow users to track their camera motion, making the mod significantly more useful.

Should be possible, how I would go about doing it would take a little thinking though

Really great mod! Could be better if everything except for active vehicles are turned into green/blue screen though...

Yes, I like this mod for splicing videos where I can make my active object "hover" but what he says is very true. A case this mod is not useful in yet is for Kerbals walking, because their feet/legs and everything at the bottom of the screen is still the default terrain.

• 1 month later...

is it possible to make the green screen spherical? I was hoping to use this to let me extract and edit clouds, but the green screen distance falls short. It would be easier to do more images like this:

YModaBql.png

I was able to pull the clouds to a separate layer so I could add some pink sunset hue to them but it was a pain in the ass to do.

is it possible to make the green screen spherical? I was hoping to use this to let me extract and edit clouds, but the green screen distance falls short. It would be easier to do more images like this:

http://i.imgur.com/YModaBql.png

I was able to pull the clouds to a separate layer so I could add some pink sunset hue to them but it was a pain in the ass to do.

Unfortunately not without completely rewriting the mod as it is done by setting the draw distance of the cameras and this is how Unity does it

Oh, could you add a function to auto-mark the objects selected to be background as transparent in screenshots (whether or not the greenscreen is enabled).

Additionally, when in RGBA transparency, the RGB should show the greenscreen color if greenscreen is on, and the hidden part of the scene if greenscreen is off.

You also should be able to set what is covered by the greenscreen instead of using just a fixed distance. (For instance celestial bodies, skyboxes, additional ships, ships over a specified distance, KSC buildings, etc.)

Edited by Ruedii
More info on the request.

Oh, could you add a function to auto-mark the objects selected to be background as transparent in screenshots (whether or not the greenscreen is enabled).

Additionally, when in RGBA transparency, the RGB should show the greenscreen color if greenscreen is on, and the hidden part of the scene if greenscreen is off.

You also should be able to set what is covered by the greenscreen instead of using just a fixed distance. (For instance celestial bodies, skyboxes, additional ships, ships over a specified distance, KSC buildings, etc.)

As above

• 3 months later...
23 hours ago, Geschosskopf said:

Hmm, doesn't seem to work at all in 1.0.5.  Hitting LAlt-\ just makes the cursor disappear and no GUI comes up.

I'l try and take a look at this this weekend. Probably just needs recompiling.

Edited by JoePatrick1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Isn't working for me. I am running 1.05 KSP with

Planetshine

HyperEdit

KW rocketry 

Kerbal Redux 

and Kerbal Alarm Clock 

2 minutes ago, Rainbowd4sh said:

Isn't working for me. I am running 1.05 KSP with

Planetshine

HyperEdit

KW rocketry 

Kerbal Redux 

and Kerbal Alarm Clock 

Correction I am stupid. The instructions say \ not /. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Kerbal Chroma Released for KSP 1.1.3

Changelog

-Name change from 'Kerbal Greenscreen' to 'Kerbal Chroma'

-Added Chroma Vessels

-Added Chroma Kerbals

-Different Chroma colours can be set for Screen, Vessels & Kerbals

-Screen distance option moved into screen settings window

-Open settings key changed from 'LeftAlt + Backslash(\)' to 'Alt + Forward Slash(/)'

Edited by JoePatrick1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.