Kss emergency !

Hi all :)

Problem: One of our VIP is on KSS (Kerbal Space Station), but he left her cellphone on Kerbin !!!

Your mission if you accept:

Takeoff as soon as possible with your favourite SSTO to bring the cellphone on KSS xD

The Challenge:

KSS EMERGENCY !

-KSP version 1.04 and superior.

-Stock parts and physics.

-No excessive clipping allowed. (ask me if you are not sure of your craft, for example landing gears, and structural clipping allowed, but more than 10% tank clipping or Engines stacking not allowed)

-No cheating (no alt F12, no infinite fuel, no modified cfg files, etc...).

-Mods that don't add parts or change physics are allowed (Piloting aids or visual effects).

-Mods allowed for computer parts: KER, MJ, KOS.

-You can also use HyperEdit BEFORE the run to directly put in LKO a small KSS with at least one and max eight docking ports of the size of your SSTO docking port, or use your KSS if already in space.

-Your KSS must be at least 100km above sea level.

-You can not move or rotate KSS from the beginning to the end of the mission, the only ship moving must be your SSTO.

-You must dock with docking ports (no Advanced Grabbing Unit allowed).

-You must not decouple any part of your SSTO.

-Your SSTO must have a Pod and/or Cockpit and/or Cargo/Service Bay to "put" the cellphone in :)

-Your SSTO can be manned or not, plane or rocket style, and all stock ksp engines are allowed.

Minimum requested to be Ranked:

Two pics, imgur albums or videos if you want of course, the total time of your mission, and the autopilot used if you didn't manually piloted.

-You have to set UT on the upper left timer of first and last pic to calculate the total time of the mission.

-One Pic on the Runway(brakes on) or on the Launchpad(throttle to zero).

-One Pic properly docked on your space station.

Ranking will just be based on the total mission time :)

If there is enough entries i'll try to make a cool "EMERGENCY PILOT" badge ;)

Here is my entry to show an example:

TOP RANKING:

1: @Nefrums 3mn:52s (ksp 1.05 manually from launchpad, but without cellphone !!!) ;)

2: @Evanitis 7mn:30s (ksp 1.05 manually from runway)

3: @ForScience6686 15mn:34s (ksp 1.05 manually from runway)

4 @astrobond 26mn:49s (ksp 1.04 manually from runway)

What will be the best solution to quickly reach KSS ?

Who will be the fastest Pilot ?

Don't forget to press F5 from time to time, docking a KSS with too much speed can be... explosive xD

I hope you will have a lot of fun doing this challenge !

And now, GO GO GO !!! :)

Edited by astrobond
New pilot

This is confusing:

-Mods that don't add parts or change physics are allowed (such as KER, MJ, KOS or visual effects).

Because KER, MJ ,and KOS *do* in fact add parts, so it's hard to tell what you're actually calling disallowed if you think they're fine but don't want mods that add parts.

This is confusing:

Because KER, MJ ,and KOS *do* in fact add parts, so it's hard to tell what you're actually calling disallowed if you think they're fine but don't want mods that add parts.

The parts KER adds are for using it in career mode, MJ is the same.

The parts KER adds are for using it in career mode, MJ is the same.

Not true. I'm referring to the craft parts that you add to the vessel, that definitely exist in sandbox mode too. And for kOS, those parts are needed to get any kOS functionality at all, sandbox or career, unless you mess with a ModuleManager hack to add a kOS computer to a stock part.

At any rate, the description has been edited to remove the problem now.

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, ForScience6686 said:

Total mission time is launch to kss docking correct?  Or landing as well.  I might have to enter in that case, I think my best is 18 minutes but I'll have to get proof of that.

Exactly :)

Launch to KSS docked.

Wow 18 minutes will sent you in the first place !

go go go ;)

Edited by astrobond

Ok, here's my results. 

So.... ya KSS in this case is a replicate of my stingray.  In this case the Kerbin Stingray Select.  I am surprised that I got it in that time my self, the key was perfect launch timing for a first pass rendezvous.  I know this time can beat as this is a panther SSTO space plane that I am loving more and more.  This version is in sandbox as I haven't unlocked the inline dock port yet but is identical to my career version as well as the one I used for the K-prize and frugal tourist challenges.  Hope you like.

Oh, manual flight and docking.  All vanilla.

Edited by ForScience6686

6 hours ago, ForScience6686 said:

Ok, here's my results. 

So.... ya KSS in this case is a replicate of my stingray.  In this case the Kerbin Stingray Select.  I am surprised that I got it in that time my self, the key was perfect launch timing for a first pass rendezvous.  I know this time can beat as this is a panther SSTO space plane that I am loving more and more.  This version is in sandbox as I haven't unlocked the inline dock port yet but is identical to my career version as well as the one I used for the K-prize and frugal tourist challenges.  Hope you like.

Oh, manual flight and docking.  All vanilla.

WOW !

we have a first Top Ranked Emergency Pilot :)

Congratulations @ForScience6686 ! You are in the Top of the leaderboard ! 15mn34s... really impressive :)

Fly safe with Valentina :)

5 hours ago, MacGamer04 said:

Can I use MJ for my rendezvous and docking autopilot (because let's be honest, Mac doesn't dock in orbit..or on the ground)

Hi @MacGamer04:)

Yes you can use autopilot, i will just add (autopilot) after your time in the leaderboard.

Thanks for the mention.  I know it will be short lived though, as a rocket should be able to do it faster.  Maybe add different categories for rocket and space plane.  I did enjoy this challenge quite a bit and hopefully it will improve my operations now that I've had plenty of practice here.

10 minutes ago, ForScience6686 said:

Did I set the bar too high?  I'm disappointed there haven't been more entries.  Pretty sure a rocket could beat my time.  I was also thinking about timing a round trip to see how fast it could be done.

@ForScience6686 Don't be disappointed, i made this challenge more than 4 month ago, and you are the only one who tried to beat me !!! (and you exploded my time lol)

I too hope there will be other entries, but feel free to try to beat your time with a rocket if you want, waiting for other challengers :)

Fly safe with Valentina !

• 2 weeks later...

I love that challenge. I forgot that getting to orbit quickly can be a goal of an SSTO besides efficiency and payload. I had great fun.

Docked at MET 7:40

Hmm.. It appears I forgot to screen my starting UT. Though it was Y9 D288 1:16:50. I had to do a few test flights until I decided that launching at 16:50 will get me very close to a rendezvous, so fired my engines at the exact moment. There's a screen a few seconds before the magnets clicking, MET on that should roughly confirm the launch time. Docking happens at 24:20.

I probably could have waited a few orbits to do not the whole stuff in full darkness for everyone's pleasure. :rolleyes:

(KSP 1.0.5, MJ was only used for the readouts)

Edited by Evanitis

4 hours ago, Evanitis said:

I love that challenge. I forgot that getting to orbit quickly can be a goal of an SSTO besides efficiency and payload. I had great fun.

Docked at MET 7:40

Hmm.. It appears I forgot to screen my starting UT. Though it was Y9 D288 1:16:50. I had to do a few test flights until I decided that launching at 16:50 will get me very close to a rendezvous, so fired my engines at the exact moment. There's a screen a few seconds before the magnets clicking, MET on that should roughly confirm the launch time. Docking happens at 24:20.

I probably could have waited a few orbits to do not the whole stuff in full darkness for everyone's pleasure. :rolleyes:

(KSP 1.0.5, MJ was only used for the readouts)

Congrat's @Evanitis !!! you have the best SSTO Plane time for the kss emergency challenge :) 

Added to the top ranking !

37 minutes ago, Nefrums said:

crap I just realized  that I did not read the rules.... :(

Well i docked in 3,52, but i forgot the cellphone...

OMG........ xD

Congrat's @Nefrums !!!

I think that will be hard to make a better time....

You are the best emergency pilot today !

Added to the top ranking too, even if you have to do it again with a cellphone :P

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.