How big can it get?!

Pedro_daher

We all like to build spacecrafts right? Sometimes we create small, medium, or big crafts. But sometimes we just want to watch the world burn and make Behemoth crafts, with such weight that we need even more fuel and bigger engines to make it going...

So after all that, show us the biggest craft you have ever built, and how many tons and parts it has...

My little beast might be very small compared to the others I might see.

But this is HWSS Osiris, it weights over 3800 tons, and it has 247 parts.

dU0DQL.jpg

I forgot to take pictures while flying... I have built this beast for a "Go and Back" mission to Dres... And it functions pretty well...

One of the ideas to conserve fuel was to put powerful solid fuel with the nuclear engines, so when I got to the planet, I could kill all my velocity just by doing that <3

One of the ideas to conserve fuel was to put powerful solid fuel with the nuclear engines, so when I got to the planet, I could kill all my velocity just by doing that <3

Did it really save some fuel ? Solid fuel is very heavy, so bringing it to dres would have taken an important amount of liquid fuel. I think it should be more than the fuel needed to kill your velocity once you were at destination.

7,746.5 tons. 826 parts. It's designed based around the old .90 Eve Rocks Challenge. A single vehicle to Eve that fits inside the VAB circle...in 1.0.2 the 500 ton lander could make it back to orbit from 500 meters. The decreased aero drag of 1.0.4 lets it get back to orbit from 100 meters ASL. One pilot, one ship, no refueling or ISRU; no fancy science packages: just a surface sample and all the glory one Kerbal can stand! haha! No nukes either. I did have to use ion engines for the return to Kerbin vehicle...the thing was just so freaking big and using mostly chemical rockets meant I had to shave weight somewhere... Took me 2 months to design and 8 hours to execute the mission correctly. The ship actually went through so many revisions that I would find artifacts (random struts, separatrons, batteries, etc...) from previous design theories and have to edit them out. I was like 'what is that doing there? Oh yeah, I remember that old plan...'

I have been meaning to finish my write-up in the mission reports forum, but real life has slowed that down. I'm going to rerun the liftoff and ascent from Eve and video it...hopefully someone will post a 1.0.4 Eve Challenge so I can get another nice badge...

screenshot5819_zps9vvtnxx7.png

screenshot5820_zps9mhqpwuf.png

screenshot5713_zpshkscdqa3.png

screenshot5818_zpszikgezvw.png

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/48947-What-s-the-Largest-Rocket-you-ve-ever-built-Interplanetary-and-Launchers-Mostly?p=1634381&viewfull=1#post1634381

There was a thread on this a while back... I have since made bigger stuff, iirc the biggest was between 12 and 15kt on the launchpad.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/borsek/screenshots/

^more stuff from me

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/534014905968167193/FD476AAF78E1572FFE9371917D8C8D38DB30A33D/ <- this one I'm particularly proud of, made a spaceplane/SSTO, a refuelling SSTO and the interplanetary tug on which both of those were docked... then I aerobraked in jool's atmo with it

good times... also, for reference, those are 5m fuel tanks with 1.25m ones on that and nuke engines on the sides *or maybe 7.5m, I don't remember, I use tweakscale*, the whole thing was quite a lagmonster, had to paste it together with KAS struts after docking so it wouldn't damage the plane due to excessive wobbling, launching that tug was probably the heaviest project, as I had to basically use KW rocketry's biggest engines non extended on the side fuel tanks to get the damn thing into orbit... then again it had around 12k dv once in orbit

The 'Queen Valentina 3' local planetary passenger cruiser/ research ship:

HhoCCBgh.png

894 parts, 6875t on the launchpad (including lander, probes, kitchen sink etc...). Once the launch stage has been disposed of it leaves 1380t of fuelled ship in LKO with 10,000m/s dV.

'Official' crew capacity 74, but I prefer to say 64 in Mk 3 seat 'bunks', leaving flight deck, science lab, engineering compartment and recreational viewing cupolas as common areas.

All stock apart from MechJeb to help guidance because the frame lag makes maneuvering tedious. (Time to LKO=2.5 Kerbal minutes but 25 Earth minutes due to lag on my setup!)

This is my biggest ship I just finished.

The payload on this one is 40t, just around 100 parts i think, its my science lander.

The launcher itself is about 600 parts. :/ I might have slightly overestimated

a. the payload,

b. the distance..

and c. the power requirements.

Much like the moon it seems i might be landing on duna on my "middle" stage. You know, the bit before the lander, but after the launch. I ended up in space orbit with 8000m/s Dv LMAO

Look at those seperations. Ohhhhh

Unfortunatly, i fell asleep during launch missed the next stage where the 4 big outer tanks all let go at the same time. Then all the structural parts let go, one by one rather cool if you ask me.

http://imgur.com/a/MO8mo

about 2600tonnes on launch

just short of 750 parts :D

probably could manage 80t payload to duna i dont know lmao

probably took about 2 hours to get to orbit, who knows but it was probably no more than 10 mins game time lmao

Edited by keeper

BigRocket.jpg

It's completely stock (other than needing Kerbal Joint Reinforcement to avoid snapping on the way up) and can lift around 1,100 tons (14x big 3.75m tanks) into an 80kmx80km orbit (it could probably go a little higher, it had 200 m/s dV left after circularization).

Edited by Lord Aurelius

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.