[1.12.x] 'Project Orion' Nuclear Pulse Engine

RoverDude

• 1 month later...

On a lark I got the Medusa to work in 1.9.1. Was surprised to see the thing ejecting the bombs into a sail - I imagine that makes things slightly more efficient. Launching it into orbit was fun as I couldn't strap anything to the sides or rear - ended up launching a Goddard-like contraption.

The thing with just a set of adapter tanks and Vernor RCS thrusters and a large docking port, got me a basic craft that could get to Jool in 45 days. I'm pretty sure I expended 100 to 120 km/s using the NPU-250 shells and hardly any ablator oil.

Here's a short video launching the thing into orbit. Makes me wonder if I could use this to get a very large payload to Lindor or Nara in JNSQ using a regular Hohmann Transfer.

Spoiler

Hey I'm having an issue where the medusa engine is only producing 0.1kn thrust and it's using up any bombs, even when the engine is active with the bomb type set on the correct type of bombs (500s).

I'm running KSP 1.8.1, installed through CKAN running version 1.3.0.0

Engine worked fine until I docked something to the craft and now it won't work, have tried redeploying and reactivating the engine, undocking and redocking and reloading the save file but nothing seems to make the engine run again not getting any error messages on the console.

Any ideas on what could be going wrong/how to fix it?

EDIT: It seems that the engine isn't recognizing the bombs/the sail being deployed sent another craft with a medusa and that one did work

EDIT 2: Reinstalling didn't do anything either

Edited by Bubmer
Another troubleshooting part

6 hours ago, Bubmer said:

Hey I'm having an issue where the medusa engine is only producing 0.1kn thrust and it's using up any bombs, even when the engine is active with the bomb type set on the correct type of bombs

Not sure what's happening. I took my 'on a lark' video and launched something to dock with ol' boom boom. Seemed to dock and then thrust without difficulty.

5 hours ago, Gordon Fecyk said:

Not sure what's happening. I took my 'on a lark' video and launched something to dock with ol' boom boom. Seemed to dock and then thrust without difficulty.

Seems to be something related to the medusa not realizing the bombs are there, sometimes when I load the craft it'll show the bomb type as 250 even when I left it at 500, and if I click the swap bombs option it skips the 500 and jumps straight into 1000

• 2 months later...
On 4/26/2020 at 12:41 AM, Bubmer said:

Seems to be something related to the medusa not realizing the bombs are there, sometimes when I load the craft it'll show the bomb type as 250 even when I left it at 500, and if I click the swap bombs option it skips the 500 and jumps straight into 1000

I'm having the same problem, with the medusa and orion both. My guess is it's some sort of mod conflict, because nothing I've tried in-game has fixed it. If you found a fix, please let me know.

After some trial and error, it seems that if any craft in the save with a medusa/orion engine on it contains a 3.75m docking port (restock+), no medusa/orion engines work on the save. Haven't had any problems using the stock 2.5m docking port so I'll just use that one and plenty of struts.

• 4 months later...
4 minutes ago, Souptime said:

Nope. that log is from normal game. test game is used for developing stuff and testing out mods for a faster load time. fully stock no DLC for test, 100+mods for normal

Then you have a mod conflict.  You need to start removing mods from your main save till you figure out which one.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Just now, eberkain said:

I feel like i need a manual for the orion engines, i have never been able to get it to work. 

Pretty easy.  Slap on the engine.  Include a pack of the cartridges.  Launch, and enjoy.  Note that it's an on-or-off thing, all you can really do is vary the charge size.   It's not going to be good for fine control, so what I tend to do is toss an Orion as brute force propulsion, but run NTRs to handle the small adjustment burns.  I used the ship below for a crewed Jool-5 mission.

image.png

1 hour ago, RoverDude said:

Pretty easy.  Slap on the engine.  Include a pack of the cartridges.  Launch, and enjoy.  

Yeah, i must be missing something cause it doens't work for me.  

I am using the constellation beta you released, but I also tried it a week ago from CKAN and had the same results.