[1.12.x] 'Project Orion' Nuclear Pulse Engine

RoverDude

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, I'm having the same problem that was mentioned a few posts up. I'm on ksp 1.2.2 using orion 0.3.5, I get sound but no animations and no thrust. Definitely looks like I'm using it correctly, I've tried both engines in various configurations. I'm just using the alt+f12 menu to warp to orbit at this point, but nothing is working. I noticed someone mention that installing a constellations pack seems to fix the issue, but I'm on a somewhat limited machine and I'm not even sure what the constellations pack is.

Is this a known issue or is there something I can do to fix it?

17 hours ago, RoverDude said:

It means it has been installed incorrectly.

Show a screenshot of your GameData folder.

That's totally possible, I played KSP stock for a long time and only recently started getting into mods. I do everything through CKAN to hopefully minimize the chance of me messing something up.

I'm having a bit of trouble adding images, maybe it's because I'm a new user? I hope an imgur link is okay. When I try to add the imgur link using "Insert other media" it just turns red and won't let me continue.

http://imgur.com/43an5XA

Thanks a lot for the reply

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/14/2016 at 1:49 PM, RoverDude said:

...it works fine in 1.2.2 

Ehh I'm having some bugs with the medusa

when I turn it on and deploy the shield I get no thurst or partial affect even though it all else is showing green 

Orion engine works fine but i like the feel of the medusa more

would post logs and pics but i have no ability to do that for a few hours 

It's crazy and I love it. I had enough spesos to build one Orion and I'm pretty amazed.

Wernher: "Jeepers, this thing will suck up every speso in our program."

Tourist: "Hey, I'm one of the richest Kerbals around and I wouldn't mind going to Jool for a moon tour. I'm willing to give you 500 billion dollars (Earth equivalent)."

Wernher: "Errr...OKAY! Orion is a go! If it can do several of these expensive tourist missions, it can more than pay for itself and maybe become the first of many. I'm thinking Enterprise and Intrepid are good names for the ships to follow."

8dERQia.jpg

Edited by Starfire70

On 16/01/2017 at 9:26 AM, War Eagle 1 said:

Ehh I'm having some bugs with the medusa

when I turn it on and deploy the shield I get no thurst or partial affect even though it all else is showing green 

Orion engine works fine but i like the feel of the medusa more

would post logs and pics but i have no ability to do that for a few hours 

Same, Any fixes for this?

Interestingly it used to work for me then it just stopped, and no medusa's have worked since.

I built this trying to see how heavy a vessel the orion could put into orbit on it's own, this is the result.

1LrTGNn.jpg

takes about a thousand of the biggest nuke pellets to get off the pad and into orbit, barely enough power to get off the pad, not to mention heavy enough to classify as an asteroid, enough reaction wheels to spin a small moon, and can build a base as big as you want wherever you want in the kerbol system, except maybe eve.

Thanks for the mod Rover

Edited by Temperus Maximus
grammatical mistake

4 minutes ago, panarchist said:

DSEV-01 Drake Kerman - my new Interstellar ship.  Finally assembled it in LKO and now I just need to finish loading supplies.  Not as big as @Temperus Maximus awesome ship, but still about 1,000 tons fully loaded.

Beautiful. Clearly I need to spend more time beefing up my Orion design in the VAB. Reminds me a bit of the Venture Star in Avatar, probably more so when the Medusa is engaged.

Edited by Starfire70

Second Orion in my career game, UKV Atlas. Medusa variant as a multi-vehicle transport, in this case transporting hab, mining, and refinery vehicles to Ike. When done at Ike, it will return to Kerbin to pick up the next outpost's worth of ships for Vall.

Sure beats trying to coordinate three separate launches, transfers, etc.

9rBa8Ud.jpg

Any of you have any tips on how to work out how much dv is available for a particular design with these engines?  I know it's 'lots', I'm in the middle of deigning what will be a huge mission, and I don't know where to start calculating the amount of (or which) fuel I would need if I were to use these engines - which are likely ideal engines for this.

7 hours ago, DStaal said:

Any of you have any tips on how to work out how much dv is available for a particular design with these engines?  I know it's 'lots', I'm in the middle of deigning what will be a huge mission, and I don't know where to start calculating the amount of (or which) fuel I would need if I were to use these engines - which are likely ideal engines for this.

I found that a 'light' payload (~75t) will get about 30m/s for every detonation of the NPU-250s (the smallest warhead type) and the magazine can hold 20 thousand of them.

So total delta-V is insane, about 600 thousand. This is a propulsion system meant for multiple voyages but also NOT meant for fine orbital maneuvering. Getting a close-in orbit around Pol and Bop was a bit of a challenge but with proper attitude to offset some of the acceleration from prograde/retrograde I was able to do it.

For heavier payloads (200t) the acceleration drops. My loaded Medusa was about 10m/s for every detonation, so 200 thousand delta-V.

Thanks.  I'll admit what I'm aiming for is probably closer to Panachrist's ship: The plan is a full OPM tour, in one shot.  I'll probably have some other engines for fine orbital maneuvering, but with calculating in habitation and supplies, I suspect a couple of my lander designs are pushing 200t, or close.  (Though I'm only planning on carrying a couple of landers, and reusing them.)  So the mothership that's going to be hauling them around is going to be huge.  Still, 100,000 m/s should be enough.

19 minutes ago, DStaal said:

Thanks.  I'll admit what I'm aiming for is probably closer to Panachrist's ship: The plan is a full OPM tour, in one shot.  I'll probably have some other engines for fine orbital maneuvering, but with calculating in habitation and supplies, I suspect a couple of my lander designs are pushing 200t, or close.  (Though I'm only planning on carrying a couple of landers, and reusing them.)  So the mothership that's going to be hauling them around is going to be huge.  Still, 100,000 m/s should be enough.

This sounds amazing.

22 hours ago, DStaal said:

Generally, you're going to have delta-V in the neighborhood of 60k-100k per fuel pellet module (based on my last design which I actually did fly to Cercani - Other Worlds mod), depending on how much mass you're pairing it with.  Maybe double that if you're staying lightweight.  I'm hoping to have a better guesstimate once I get my ship moving towards Cercani - it's roughly 1,000 tons and loaded with -250s and 500s, so I'll likely record my orbital velocity before the burn and about 100 pellets in, to get a rough guess.

Unless @RoverDude has determined it at some point during the design process?

Edited by panarchist
corrected math