[1.12.x] 'Project Orion' Nuclear Pulse Engine

RoverDude

2mCyvrT.png

Includes a 5m USAF Orion as well as a 5m Medusa variant.

Download Link:

https://github.com/UmbraSpaceIndustries/NuclearRockets/releases

Post bugs and whatnot :D

Configuration files and code are licensed under the GPL v3 license.

Assets, including Models (*.mu) and Textures *.png/*.dds) are All Rights Reserved. If you wish to use any of these assets in your project, just ask nicely :)

Edited by RoverDude

Nice, looking forward to where this goes.

I asked this before while you were streaming, but is the plan to create an engine Module that would be usable for other pulsed propulsion? There's a bunch of cool ideas that could be made into usable parts if that were the case, from mass drivers to crazy fusion engines.

Nyrath has been AWOL for a while now, and while he is the resident authority on starship propulsion, it's good to see someone like Roverdude picking up the concept and fleshing it out

Yes, but I do hope he takes the realsim part serious. In contrast to Hyperdrives, this is a part that we know how to construct. I noticed several problems with the picture, for one, the small pusher plate size in comparison to the explosion. A small pusher plate would signicanlty lower the efficency, but perhaps this is his intension to fit it better in a kerbal universe. Second, Enriched Uranium is used as a resource which is not accurate because most of the mass of the nuke would not be Uranium but the shaped charge to generate the pulse. I suggest one or more seperate resources which represent a single type of nuclear pulse device.

Yes, but I do hope he takes the realsim part serious. In contrast to Hyperdrives, this is a part that we know how to construct. I noticed several problems with the picture, for one, the small pusher plate size in comparison to the explosion. A small pusher plate would signicanlty lower the efficency, but perhaps this is his intension to fit it better in a kerbal universe. Second, Enriched Uranium is used as a resource which is not accurate because most of the mass of the nuke would not be Uranium but the shaped charge to generate the pulse. I suggest one or more seperate resources which represent a single type of nuclear pulse device.

There will be a separate shaped charge resource, the uranium is just a placeholder right now. And that pic is out of date (you're looking at the prototype).