[1.12.x] 'Project Orion' Nuclear Pulse Engine

RoverDude

Please make it of realistic proportions, 10m diameter at least
Needs to be 10 or 15 meters, Orion is no joking matter.
10m fits in the VAB and on the pad just fine

Remember this is Kerbal Space Simulator, not Human Space Simulator :P

Sides, its his part to make not yours... Repeating this multiple times, isn't gonna make it happen.

As with all Roverdudes stuff, im sure its gonna be openly licensed so once its released, feel free to tweak all you want.

Edited by rabidninjawombat

Remember this is Kerbal Space Simulator, not Human Space Simulator :P

Sides, its his part to make not yours... Repeating this multiple times, isn't gonna make it happen.

As with all Roverdudes stuff, im sure its gonna be openly licensed so once its released, feel free to tweak all you want.

actually, KSP SpaceY parts expanded add in a 7.5meter diameter series of parts, and it works great. with tweakscale, and procedural fuel tanks, you wouldnt even realize that it stands out from stock diameters. hell, I used tweakscale to make a 10meter rocket once. it worked fine.

actually, KSP SpaceY parts expanded add in a 7.5meter diameter series of parts, and it works great. with tweakscale, and procedural fuel tanks, you wouldnt even realize that it stands out from stock diameters. hell, I used tweakscale to make a 10meter rocket once. it worked fine.

Precisely, and 10m is on the small size for an Orion, the things were proposed to be 40m on average

Thinking about it. I always had as a imaginary rule that I could not stage a nuclear drive on kerbin or use it within its atmosphere.

Do you think you could implement a cash & reputation penality for doing so? That would be realy cool to have a 1000$ fine penality for every boom that engine make!

I know this is an odd question, but will you be using the shock absorber system the wheels have? I am asking this because if you do that would mean that landing the monster becomes more possible (the last one did not include this). Yes, insane, but possible.

No dampeners, sorry. But an interesting idea I may take a look at after 1.1, given landing gear is based on wheel colliders and these have changed in U5.

Precisely, and 10m is on the small size for an Orion, the things were proposed to be 40m on average

No. 5m, possibly a 7.5m if I get punchy and make appropriate adapters.

Thinking about it. I always had as a imaginary rule that I could not stage a nuclear drive on kerbin or use it within its atmosphere.

Do you think you could implement a cash & reputation penality for doing so? That would be realy cool to have a 1000$ fine penality for every boom that engine make!

Already in the works :)

- - - Updated - - -

For excuses I have...

kerbal scale.

gameplay.

joint stability.

not enough 10m parts in circulation to match up with it.

It's a game I can tell all the jokes I want.

and just pretend the bombs are fueled with krakenium.

which will it be?

Most of the above actually ;) And add that it will be pushing that texture to go 7.5m without looking fairly horrible.

But yes. Tweakscale.

And again, the reference model is the 10m USAF Orion (which is fine as a 5m Kerbal model).

- - - Updated - - -

BEBwbg2.png

So how will the Medusa variant work then?

Is it folded up for launch, then spread out when ready to go underway?

Yup!

Great picture, but wouldn't those radiators be blown of by the shock-wave or receive a lot of heat from the blast, that would effectively increase the temperature instead of decrease it.

Nope :)

I wonder if launching orion directly from KSC will leave launchpad intact :)

Yup!

One concept added SRB's to get it off the pad. Biiiiig SRB's

Yup!

I added a magazine-only part (basically clipped off the cylinders on the current drive) and working on the Medusa variant for launch

You're doing the Medusa variant as well? cool.

So how will the Medusa variant work then?

Is it folded up for launch, then spread out when ready to go underway?

I would guess so, yeah. Theres also the issue of turning around and slowing down though. Not sure what the plans would have been to deal with that for the RL version.

Already in the works :)

Thats just great! If the module is kinda customizable, I will end up using if for some of the OP engine I sometimes make. ( I sometimes fall on the dark Si-Fi side. And feeling dirty for it.)