[1.12.x] 'Project Orion' Nuclear Pulse Engine

RoverDude

Hey @RoverDude, First, I want to say, this mod is amazing, I'm making plans to build a Medusa tug to kolonize the Kerbol system :) But regarding the mod plans: Would you put in Antimatter catalyzed nuclear pulse propulsion? I think that would be a good step up from MiniMag.

And from what I read in the previous pages, what's your planned full lineup/sizes?

25 minutes ago, RoverDude said:

Toss me a link on it and I will take a look.  Plan on this is updates as there are things I want to add / change on it :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antimatter-catalyzed_nuclear_pulse_propulsion

http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/enginelist.php#id--Pulse--Antimatter_catalyzed--ACMF

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

NEW VERSION FOR KSP 1.2 IS UP!

Also - if you want to grab the entire USI Constellation in a single zip... head over here:  https://github.com/BobPalmer/USI_Constellation/releases/

0.3.0 - (KSP 1.2)
------------------
The Orion engines no longer have variable pulse rates (as this is not consistent with the real drive designs).  Rather, thrust can only be adjusted by changing cartridge size (pulse rate is consistent).  This makes the drive a bit harder to use, and a bit more balanced given its position as early interstellar tech.
Updated descriptions

Thank you, looks like it works well. Looks like the orion has terrible atmospheric ISP, is this on purpose? 
Would never ground launch it anyway, not only realism but ship would be very lite aerodynamic so not smart to use in atmosphere 

7 hours ago, RoverDude said:

Yep - horrible ground ISP by design.  While a real Orion would launch from a planetary surface, I did that for balance reasons.

Can I be a nuisance and request some kind of option to turn that off for people who want to run prototypical Orion missions, please?

7 hours ago, goldenpsp said:

Then I guess the free download of Visual studio is your next best bet.

No, I think a polite request to the modder for a simple change with a clearly stated rationale was my next best bet, which I did. Next after that (if RoverDude doesn't feel like it) would be going back to building the module myself, which I've done in the past (and didn't involve Visual Studio).

Asking you to stop making suggestions to me is probably on the list somewhere, too. Please.

9 minutes ago, damerell said:

No, I think a polite request to the modder for a simple change with a clearly stated rationale was my next best bet, which I did. Next after that (if RoverDude doesn't feel like it) would be going back to building the module myself, which I've done in the past (and didn't involve Visual Studio).

Asking you to stop making suggestions to me is probably on the list somewhere, too. Please.

Wow, no need to get offended.  Some things we know about Roverdude.

1. He seems like a really nice person
2. He has stated openly many times he makes mods for himself, not for us.  He is just nice enough to share them.
3. He has said, as recent as yesterday that he is very busy.
4. He coded the functionality of this mod into the DLL, so this balance is probably something he felt was important.

So given these things I was simply taking a gamble that best case you will get a polite reply of "yea no" to your request and at worst it will just be ignored (as an implied no).

4 hours ago, RoverDude said:

I also noted this is by design, since these are going to be available in the nuclear propulsion nodes.  While I may consider an upgrade option down the road (using the fancy new part upgrade options), it will not be any time soon.

First off, I want to thank you for modding in this piece of "almost was" space history. The nuclear Orion will always be the "real" Orion to me!

Although I do understand and respect the decision to limit the surface ISP of the propulsion system, it does mean that yours will likely be the first mod that I attempt to myself mod, since the Orion's "dirty" little secret was that nuclear pulse would have actually been a better surface launcher than interplanetary transfer system. At least in theory, and if you don't mind the obvious reprecussions.

Again, thanks for putting it in in the first place, and I'm looking forward to playing with it as is (somewhat new to Kerbal, and I found this thread looking around to see if anyone had done an Orion!).

17 hours ago, damerell said:

Can I be a nuisance and request some kind of option to turn that off for people who want to run prototypical Orion missions, please?

Seconding that request, please.  Would like to have the horrendously-unbalanced but scientifically plausible ISP as an option if that doesn't take too much work.

Edit: sorry, missed your subsequent reply somehow - #browserfail.

Edited by panarchist

Has only tested the orion and it works nice. 
One issue however it looks like it runs much smoother now, rate of fire is higher and trust of each charge is lower.
In its self its no huge issue except I visually like the more powerful surges more, but also preferred the medusa as it was smother. 
However ISP is far lower, I sent an 200 ton ship on an around 4 km/s test run to Minmus, this ate 700 of the smallest charges, held 3-4g. 
700 charges is that I would use on an 30 km/s burn before with an huge load. 

My only issue with this is the price of the charges, 10M for 20K charges, was ok before then I used 2000 charges on an total mission, however with the weaker charges this is far to expensive. 
Do you have some back of the envelope values for ISP and trust and trust change? Has to do dV calculations now to make sure I don't run out and will also change the cost.

Did an fast test of this.
195 ton ship, an 2km/s burn out of minmus orbit so it should be pretty flat space, 
the smallest bombs, and I used 206 of them on doing the burn so each bomb give an 10 m/s speed increase with an trust vibrating between 3.5 and 4 g, burn took 56 seconds 2006 m/s /56 s=35.8 m/s^2= 3.65 g
20.000 bombs weight 100.000 kg, making each bomb weight 5 kg, this is very light and to my surprise the craft only got one ton lighter.

2006 m/s=v * g * ln(195.03/194)
v * g= isp= 2006 / ln (195.03/194)=2006/0.005295 = 379k or almost 100 times better than an ion engine, this with an huge ship and high g, objections redrawn.