[1.12.x] 'Project Orion' Nuclear Pulse Engine

RoverDude

8 hours ago, ender3838 said:

i do not know how to install this mod. plz help me.

Like any other mod.

download zip.  Install into Gamedata folder.  If by chance the zip file has a gamedata folder already copy the contents of gamedata into gamedata.

https://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Tutorial:Installing_Addons

Medusa variant configured as transport, hauling the first outpost to Jool: science survey ship, hab outpost (with rovers for Vall and Laythe) & mining outpost for Vall, and a fully loaded refueling orbital station for Laythe.

JUmF9Y0.jpg

Edited by Starfire70

• 3 weeks later...

Hello @RoverDude i didnt use this mod for a while and recently i found out, that there is only one throttle setting = MAX

I was under the impression, that the throttle setting should control bomb frequency, but in my cases, even at the lowest settings, the bombs start shooting out in a stream - i used this mod some time ago and i remember it was possible to control the frequency

Was something changed in this regard ? I Browsed through this thread but wasnt able to find anything (bad search propably)

If not, i'll start removing mods to find out what could conflict (or maybe someone knows ?)

Edit: It seems to be only the Animation, as the Fuel Flow is changing in the Tooltip when throttle is changed, but the Thrust does not change (which is by design i guess due to the Nature of the engine)

Edited by Jasseji

Hm but the fuel flow is changing when i push the throttle, also according to MechJeb, the Acceleration is getting up

Edit: Also, is there a way to tweak the Bomb yields somehow ? Say, Create NPU-750 Resource as a midrange between NPU-500 and NPU-1000 ?

Edit2: Figured the Bomb yields out :wink:

Edited by Jasseji

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So... after testing the power of these in my sandbox world before using them in my current playthrough, I came to the conclusion, at least for where they sit in CTT, that these are OP as excrements. I'm trying to figure out if I've missed something about them which makes them not incredibly overpowered. They've got a steep price on them, I can see that, but sitting at the 550 tier they let me execute a brachistochrone trajectory to the mun in about 10 minutes. Putting one of these on a ship could easily allow me to bypass a lot of game mechanics by sheer power while still in technology that is otherwise considered mostly if not entirely conventional.

Is there some downside that I'm not seeing, or is it simply a matter that this is just too overpowered for my personal tastes?

1 hour ago, Darinth said:

So... after testing the power of these in my sandbox world before using them in my current playthrough, I came to the conclusion, at least for where they sit in CTT, that these are OP as excrements. I'm trying to figure out if I've missed something about them which makes them not incredibly overpowered. They've got a steep price on them, I can see that, but sitting at the 550 tier they let me execute a brachistochrone trajectory to the mun in about 10 minutes. Putting one of these on a ship could easily allow me to bypass a lot of game mechanics by sheer power while still in technology that is otherwise considered mostly if not entirely conventional.

Is there some downside that I'm not seeing, or is it simply a matter that this is just too overpowered for my personal tastes?

The Orion concept 'IS' fundamentally OP. This is a good representation of it and probably about the only way to balance it as by price, as Roverdude has done. I think there's also a rep hit if you use it in the atmosphere in career.

Edited by SpaceMouse

1 hour ago, DStaal said:

The realistic way to balance it would be an LS mod that handles radiation, and treating turning it on as a massive radiation source.  (On the other hand, it's got a built-in shadow shield.)

Except, as noted, the shield is already built in.  So already balanced in that regard.  Probably the only issue would be blasting radiation behind you (and a glowing launch site) vs radiation issues in flight.

Thank you for the input/responses. I'm curious to test if there's actually a rep hit for using it in atmo. Another possible balancing factor might involve identifying unshielded parts of a ship (anything that's not directly behind the ablative shield) and potentially damaging them or heating them up (unless the mod actually does this, my test rocket was a nice cylinder directly and fully shielded by the orion without parts sticking out so I wouldn't be aware.) The closest thing that KSP seems to do to modeling radiation is the excess heat that the NERV puts out.

This may simply boil down to personal preference. It feels a bit much to me atm.

To be honest, balancing an Orion engine against a chemical rocket would be an exercise in futility ;)  Only reason we're not using these is because of international treaties that do not apply to Kerbin.  If they feel OP that is because the kinda are OP IRL.

5 minutes ago, RoverDude said:

To be honest, balancing an Orion engine against a chemical rocket would be an exercise in futility ;)  Only reason we're not using these is because of international treaties that do not apply to Kerbin.  If they feel OP that is because the kinda are OP IRL.

Remember that the KSP star system is tiny. IRL, chemical engines basically will not get people any farther than Mars. We will need an "OP" propulsion system if we really want to move around our real solar system.

1 minute ago, mikegarrison said:

Remember that the KSP star system is tiny. IRL, chemical engines basically will not get people any farther than Mars. We will need an "OP" propulsion system if we really want to move around our real solar system.

Sure, and we already have a lot of things we compensate in Kerbal for this.  But does not change that an Orion drive is in a completely different class of propulsion than a chemical engine (and the one in this mod is a scaled down version of one of the smaller designs)

Plenty of folks use this mod - but you probably want to start with KSP version, Orion version, and where you downloaded it from.  Also a pic of your GameData folder - because it sounds like a bad installation.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there, I was trying to install this mod and having trouble. The part was not showing up in the R&D node or the VAB. I removed the config files for community tech tree and for Launchpad and it started working again. Apparently the current release is requiring at least one or both of those mods to function.

On 4/30/2018 at 6:32 PM, Dr. Boo said:

I am trying to use this mod, and it looks great. It makes noises, but I get no explosions or propulsion. Is anyone using this mod, or working on it. Any ideas?

On 8/31/2017 at 1:22 AM, The_Joe said:

I love the idea of this mod but it isnt working for me at this time.  I managed to deploy the nuke sail, and I get a sound effect, but no visual effects or thrust.  I might be failing to load the bombs?  Im not sure.  

Im pretty heavily modded, including Real Plume (Broke one of my other mods...) and I am hoping you might have suggestions before I start ripping mods out?  

Sorry trying to clean up this formatting mess I've made and keep this all in one post.

I am seeing this as well. I started with a clean install from CKAN. Then removed 'Project Orion' from CKAN and then downloaded->installed Orion_0.7.0.0. Still same issue. I once got both the Medusa and Orion engines to work a few weeks back by rotating the Orion Fuel Tank 180 degrees but no combination of orientation is fixing the issue this time. I am on KSP 1.4.2

Gamedata: https://imgur.com/a/rbpzD6f

ksp.log https://pastebin.ubuntu.com/p/XkMDvM4ZZW/

Copying the same behavior I am seeing from another post, although I am observing this on both engines, not just Medusa: https://imgur.com/a/epH2O

oh and I am trying all combinations of the fuel as well. I understand how to right click and change fuel type from the engine in orbit, and how to configure the tank in the VAB

Edited by ksp_colin
formatting and adding imgur/pastebin links