[1.12.x] 'Project Orion' Nuclear Pulse Engine

RoverDude

So I have played with this mod some, and I have to say it looks really promising, but I have a few minor issues with it. First of all not being able to attach things radially is a bit limiting, hoping you get to add this. Second, the physics are not quite right. The thrust cuts off abruptly when ever throttle is chopped, so you can get very small pulses even with the biggest bomb. Also the with the gimballing, being able to adjust the gimbal angle throughout the thrust, does not make sense to me. The impulse from the blast should be almost instantaneously right? So the spin should be decided at the moment of the blast to be perfectly accurate. I don't mind the gimballing issue so much. It's probably necessary for gimballing to be usefull for the player (though in reality it should not be too hard to make a computer program to calculate the exact right amount of gimbal required to do a certain maneuver). The cutting of the impulse mid thrust is annoying me though. Hope you figure out a way to implement this properly.

Keep up the good work.

So I have played with this mod some, and I have to say it looks really promising, but I have a few minor issues with it. First of all not being able to attach things radially is a bit limiting, hoping you get to add this.

As noted throughout this thread (it is only 26 pages and probably worth skimming through in general) lack of surface mount is by design.

I found that installing other USI stuff broke orion, copying orion files into gamedata again and overwrite all solved the problem.

This is probably as the orion contains USI common files with orion specified changes.

USITools.dll with orion download work fine, USITools.dll from version 5+ to me don't work.

There is also a difference in size of the 2 files

mwYa1n8.jpg

Hello guys,

First of all, I am a fan of your work RoverDude, it's awesome.

This is my first post here so bare with me please.:)

I have installed Orion ( including USITools ) and my problem is that Orion works fine, Medusa does not.

I know, out of the atmosphere, did that, nothing - still 0,1 kN.

I have the correct engine setting as the nuclear tank, on any type of fuel - nothing.

Tried and older version of USITools, nothing.

Erased and installed Orion again, Orion works fine ( killer engine btw, ) , Medusa - nothing.

Is there anything you guys can suggest?

Please and thank you. :)

Now this gave me an idea.

CBg1AdFl.png

Yes it was simply landing an medusa on Minmus to get an fast surface base contract.

But this should also work as an Tylo lander, yes you need an landing module with spare fuel, serious engines=mainsails and a forest of landing legs. Mining equipment might be nice to.

An crew cabin with ladder down is a good idea if you want to do surface samples or plant a flag.

Now use the medusa until final part of final decent, you hover a bit over the surface, now switch to chemicals and do an soft landing. Do your stuff and switch back to medusa for takeoff.

Yes its an exploit, the medusa would not work for landing even on Minmus.

These exceptions still happen during startup in 0.0.1.0

Edit: I guess I'll add a github issue now that it has a github section.

PartLoader: Compiling Part 'UmbraSpaceIndustries/Orion/Parts/Orion/USI_ORION'

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 56)

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at USITools.USI_PulseDrive.OnAwake () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at PartModule.Awake () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
UnityEngine.GameObject:Internal_AddComponentWithType(Type)
UnityEngine.GameObject:AddComponent(Type)
Part:AddModule(String)
Part:AddModule(ConfigNode)
PartLoader:ParsePart(UrlConfig, ConfigNode)
:MoveNext()

PartLoader: Compiling Part 'UmbraSpaceIndustries/Orion/Parts/Medusa/USI_MEDUSA'

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 56)

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at USITools.USI_PulseDrive.OnAwake () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at PartModule.Awake () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
UnityEngine.GameObject:Internal_AddComponentWithType(Type)
UnityEngine.GameObject:AddComponent(Type)
Part:AddModule(String)
Part:AddModule(ConfigNode)
PartLoader:ParsePart(UrlConfig, ConfigNode)
:MoveNext()

What in-game behavior are you seeing tho?

I haven't used the nuke engines in a while, but that exception was happening before (and reported before, a bunch of pages back) and I didn't notice anything unusual when I was using the engines. Of course though, I don't know how that eception would affect the ingame behavior.

All I know is that the exception only happens during the game startup phase and doesn't appear again.

Edit: Did a quick flight check of the engines and didn't see anything unusual, no exceptions either.

0.0.1.0 IS UP

0.1.0 - 2015.10.16

--------------------

Synced up with current USI Core code (This should fix the drive-not-working issue)

Added KSP-AVC support

Ok, a bit confused. the link in the op to kerbalstuff is for 0.0.2 which is old. Where is 0.0.1.0?

Nope, should be fine, was mostly just getting things in sync. And KS is updated now with the correct version, which is 0.1.0.1

Well its look like something changed, both my orion and the medusa blew up on load in an very kerbal way, the orion looked like it set off all its nukes at once as some of it would probably intercept Ike from very low Duna orbit :)

Both ship was flown missions, only issue is that you have to strap the cargo down well.

The Orion telescoped then I did not use KAS struts, the rest of the ship then rammed the 100 ton base with 5g trust. The Medusa simply dropped its payload but kept the docking port, with kas struts it was no issue taking the orion to Duna.

Edited by magnemoe