[1.12.x] 'Project Orion' Nuclear Pulse Engine

RoverDude

Sounds like you did not install it correctly - was this installed manually or off of CKAN? And did you overwrite all of the files (and include all of the files) from the ZIP?

Lol how do you install with ckan? P.S. ive manually installed it but i did not overwrite files. ive been having a similar problem with random parts from other mods automaticly deploying and not working correctly.

Lol how do you install with ckan? P.S. ive manually installed it but i did not overwrite files. ive been having a similar problem with random parts from other mods automaticly deploying and not working correctly.

Well that there is your problem.

In most if not all mods you are supposed to overwrite all previous versions of the mod, otherwise it will result in there being two versions. Delete the USK orion mod, and the re-download and overwrite anything it asks you to. That generally works best from my experience with other mods.

I slapped a "reasonable" Orion-size Vessel with the 500 NPUs together, added some 12 reliants to finetune prograde/ retrograde velocity, and that works very well. The fueltanks are from Necrobones SpaceY parts, lifted with boosters to 15000m from the same pack.

No problems so far, but gimbaling the orion engine looks obsolete in my opinion, the vessel starts to wobble hard despite KJR. I turned it off.

http://i.imgur.com/U2o9673.png

Awesome:cool: !!

I tested quiet hard the Medusa-drive with a "reasonable" 1.1 kilotonne payload/ vessel assembly from 1000 km Kerbin orbit to 300 km Laythe orbit. (Lifting with Spacey boosters was a real pain.)

NPUs type 500, i just flipped around the orion design which i made first and it worked well, sometimes the fueltype on the engine switches back to 250s, after docking and leaving the scene, but nothing serious. In solar orbit the detonation flares where somewhat not consistent visible or my camera distance was to large, vessel does not fit the screen...:wink:

I took a normal optimized launch window from LWP mod, without wasting nukes, the missiontime depends to the attached payload, the medusa is here 2.5 years old itself. I have used 1 (one) unit oil until now :D.

The game crashed once but i think its because i am on the 4 Gb edge of ram.

Had to install Interstellar FuelSwitch to my careergame, Tweakscale and Stock Fuel Switch hate each other as it seems.

I had burntimes like 120 to 300 s, its not OP as it may look! Vernoring takes alot LFO, and despite KJR it wobbles slightly but very slow. Without RCS is no accurate maneuver burning possible, it starts to veer off due to the length i guess.

CWJJeQY.png

Well that there is your problem.

In most if not all mods you are supposed to overwrite all previous versions of the mod, otherwise it will result in there being two versions. Delete the USK orion mod, and the re-download and overwrite anything it asks you to. That generally works best from my experience with other mods.

I tried that with this and other dulpicate mods, now i cant get into the spaceplane hanger or VAB!

I have just discovered that replacing "Stock Fuel Switch" with "FSFuelSwitch" breakes my existing careercrafts, meaning that all LFO tanks show LF then... I guess its not possible to further use Atomic rockets mod with an existing Stock Fuel Switch install, my modding-fu is almost worthless...:blush:

Reverting to 0.0.1 seems somehow, is it possible to tweak somehow the config of the Magazine?

Solved!

After removing Tweakscale, all fuelswitch mods and reinstalling Stock Fuel Switch only the Magazine options became available. Somehow its Tweakscale blocking Stock Fuel Switch mod.

My careersave is again fully functional, very happy!

Oh, ablative oil is only stored in the engine?!?... okay!:D

Had to install Interstellar FuelSwitch to my careergame, Tweakscale and Stock Fuel Switch hate each other as it seems.

If TweakScale breaks something I'd be grateful if you bring it to the Tweakscale thread. However I can not reproduce your situation. I have TweakScale, stock fuel switch and Orion installed and everything looks fine to me. Stock tanks can be switched and scaled consistently, and the "Orion pulse unit magazine" has buttons saying "previous/next texture" which change the tank content.

@RoverDude

I solved the issue with Tweakscale, i had an older Tweakscale DL in use, Tweakscale 2.2.1 works fine with all available FuelSwitch mods...

My bad:blush:

The Alpha works great so far! Will it be able to use Engine Lightening Mod too?

How about asking the CKAN people. CKAN is their "mod" afterall.

Sure. But before I go in, never having modded before in KSP, I thought I'd ask the mod author in question, since he's got some experience with this and I didn't even know what to ask. Often I find it more useful to ask a user of a system who has navigated it before as they can usually give a quick, contextual answer.

In my opinion its not a bad thing that ablative oil is limiting the engines "lifetime" in a certain way...

Everything in RL is limited.

And a engine using nuclear detonations to propel stuff should really decay in one or another way... unlimited lifetime is somehow OP.

In my opinion its not a bad thing that ablative oil is limiting the engines "lifetime" in a certain way...

Everything in RL is limited.

And a engine using nuclear detonations to propel stuff should really decay in one or another way... unlimited lifetime is somehow OP.

I agree here, perhaps even using trustplate thickness as an resource on first-generation drives and the oil for next level

However it should be possible to reload the magazines.

The charges are heavy and expensive

In real would you would either replace the canisters or have an special docking port where you feed bombs to the autoloader who was running in reverse so it makes sense to not having a full load