The biggest, most appealing reason why I like KSP

Bosun

The fact that it's a whole bunch of gaming enthusiasts playing together, getting along, chatting about the game together, civilly, getting along, without yelling or attacking each other, getting along...Well, you get the idea. Many games I've enjoyed I've stopped playing because they've become poor substitute outlets for people's passive aggression in life outside the game, where all their angst over things they cannot control gets vetted in an anonymous atmosphere under fabricated positions of power and knowledge. It makes the games more exhausting to play than just dealing with regular life, and games are about exploring and diverting away from the regular.

So thanks, community here, for being wonderfully accepting and creative, open and encouraging, helpful and engaging. Good job. :)

While I agree with peace, love and harmony making everything much better, I think that its provenance here on the forum has little directly to do with KSP. If anything, I would say that the community here is a semi-scientific one, and that any disagreements tend to be pseudo-academic or philosophical disagreements rather than personal bickering, not exclusively of course, but in the main.

I've commented in the past on the general patient benevolence of the forum as a whole, particularly to new players, bugfixing, design troubleshooting etc. These days I find it disagreeable when I see a post that isn't typical of that.

So thanks, community here, for being wonderfully accepting and creative, open and encouraging, helpful and engaging. Good job. :)

Agreed 100%. This is the most affable collection of folks I could imagine on a public forum. I mean, think how many times Slashy & RIC answer the SAME SSTO questions to each new & wounded engineering soul, never once mentioning they've been doing it for years? Three Cheers!

While the community makes KSP alot of what it is... It isnt what makes it the best game I've ever owned in my eyes.

I have whats classified as the INTP personality (if you don't know yours, you can always take the test to find out) which stands for Introverted iNtuitive Thinking Perceiving. INTPs tend to gravitate towards problem solving, and I'm no different. Heck, I've gone out of my way to actually FIND a problem just to fix one. In fact, lemme quote one site

They are intensely interested in theory, and will put forth tremendous amounts of time and energy into finding a solution to a problem with has piqued their interest.

Which explains the *checks*... 937 hours put into KSP .... within the past 2 1/2 years since .18. To put this into some sort of perspective, thats a total of 39 DAYS.

KSP is a friggin goldmine for INTPs because it allows us to tackle so many problems (even more in career mode) and play around with what works and what doesnt, until we finally get it right, only to have another problem to be solved. Mods can make the problems even bigger and more of them, and to an extent, harder to fix.

Though the community is a plus, (which is alot better than the idiocy that goes on in, say, the World of Tanks forums...)

Agree. For me two things make Kerbal stand out from other games: the superb quality of the mods, and the willingness of the community at large to share their knowledge through tutorials and this forum. If we were having beers, this would be the moment where I go "no I really, really love you man" and tomorrow we'd have that awkward moment where we'd both pretend that never happened.

My theory on the amazingness of the forum is that most of us are massive geeks and because the rampant dickwaddery directed at anyone slightly diffrent in the real world we all have had the same stuff happen to us. The other thing is that KSP is hard enough to minimize the number of 13yr olds on the forum (Yet i'm thirteen)

If KSP would just be about engineering or about flying or about managing or about researching it would be like any other game. But it's the mix that makes it really outstanding and a challenge and not too repetitive. A lot other top 100 of all times games are genre mixes.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.