Linux (Ubuntu 14.04) - Aerodynamic fx missing from gameplay

Hello everyone! I am having trouble with KSP's aerodynamic fx not showing up. Sorry if this is a repost, but I already searched and could not find an answer to my problem (I've actually been searching on and off for about a month now, using this forum and google searches).

I went from a Windows 7 install to my Ubuntu install, simply for modding purposes because of Windows' 32-bit limitation. Right when I did so, the aerodynamic fx never showed up on my Linux install. Everything else works fine and I'm using proprietary drivers for my hardware. I can easily play on the highest settings (my computer is quite a beast and not that old). When I first realized this, I tried looking online for help for quite a while, but couldn't find any, so I just kept playing. I've installed new mods since this install as well. Here is a list of my mods:

000_Toolbar

000_USITools

ActiveTextureManagement

AIES)Aerosapce

AtomicAge

B9_Aerospace

BAE

BahaSP

ChromaWorks

ChuteSafetyIndicator

CommunityResourcePack

CommunityTechTree

ContractsWindow

CrossFeedEnabler

CryoEngines

DavoTCsystemsMod

DistantObject

EditorExtensions

EngineLight

EscapePod

EVAEnhancements

ExtraplanetaryLaunchPads

Extras

FerramAerospaceResearch

FieldExperience

Firespitter

FuelTanksPlus

Fusebox

GlassThings

HGA

HullCameraVDS

InterstellarFuelSwitch

JarDev

JoolianDiscovery

KAS

KerbalConstructionTime

KerbalEngineer

KerbalJointReinforcement

Kerbaltek

KermangeddonIndustries

KIS

kOS

LLL

LLL-Extra

MagicSmokeIndustries

MapViewPlus0.1.1

MechJeb2

ModRocketSys

ModularFlightIntegrator

ModuleRCSFX

NearFutureConstruction

NeaurFutureElectrical

NearFutureProps

NearFuturePropulsion

NearFutureSolar

NearFutureSpacecraft

NEBULA

NMSG

notes

PhantomAerospace

PortraitStats

ProceduralFairings

ProceduralParts

Protractor

QuickSearch

RadialEngineMountsPPI

RCS

RCSBuildAid

RcsSounds

RealChute

RealHeat

RemoteTech

SCANsat

SETIgreenhouse

ShipManifest

Sigma

SmartStage

SpaceY-Lifters

Squad

StageRecovery

StandardPropulsionSystems_0.1.1

StateFunding

StationPartsExpansion

Super67

Super100

TalisarParts

TarsierSpaceTech

TemperatureGaugeKiller

TextureReplacer

ThunderAerospace

TriggerTech

TweakScale

UmbraSpaceIndustries

UniversalStorage

WarpPlugin

--------------------

ModuleManager2.6.8

The settings give me the option to tweak the aerodynamic fx quality, but they don't show up. This is why I've finally created an account for the forum lol. The game runs perfectly in every aspect, besides the aerodynamics fx. Any help would be very appreciated. Thank you.

Hmm, might be your graphics hardware, please see the thread here and provide your output_log.txt player.log and dxdiag hardinfo report.

Or it could be a bad Physics.cfg, you can find the file in my Linux thread, you need to make sure you start KSP from the KSP folder, not a desktop shortcut, Steam doesn't have that problem though.

RealHeat can also cause this, you're supposed to only use RealHeat with RSS, and I don't see it in your list.

Edited by sal_vager

Oh it will, but if you don't set the target directory to the KSP folder it can fail to load some files.

For example in Xfce you'd create a new launcher and make the working directory the KSP folder.

In a script you'd add a line to cd to the KSP folder before running KSP.x86

Something like this.

#!/bin/dash
cd "/home/yourusernamehere/Kerbal Space Program/"
env LC_ALL=C vblank_mode=1 LD_PRELOAD="${LD_PRELOAD} libpthread.so.0 libGL.so.1 libpulsedsp.so" __GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATIONS=1 ./KSP.x86

Same thing can happen in Windows, so Windows shortcuts also need the target box set to the KSP folder.

Here is my output log. The GPU data isn't right. I tried launching KSP when I first installed Ubuntu and I forgot to get the proprietary drivers. Is there a way to change that? Or does is not matter?

Kerbal Space Program - 1.0.4.0 (LinuxPlayer) Steam

CPU: Intel® Core i7-3930K CPU @ 3.20GHz (12)

RAM: 16001

GPU: Gallium 0.4 on NVC8 (160MB)

SM: 30 (OpenGL 3.0 [3.0 Mesa 10.5.2])

RT Formats: ARGB32, Depth, ARGBHalf, RGB565, ARGB1555, Default, DefaultHDR, ARGBFloat, RGFloat, RGHalf, RFloat, RHalf, R8

Log started: Mon, Aug 17, 2015 22:34:59

Here are my specs

Memory: 15.6 GiB

Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-3930K CPU @ 3.20GHz × 12

GPU: GeForce GTX 570/PCIe/SSE2

Storage: 22.0 GB

(This is directly from the System Settings -> Details window)

It's just a partition, mainly for KSP.

Do you need a more detailed report? I don't know how to run a dxdiag equivalent on Ubuntu. Also, yes, I run a desktop 64-bit shortcut, but KSP always starts up normally and with very good load time. I'll try a load directly from the root folder.

One more thing: I just downloaded RealHeat last night, so that cannot possibly be it, although it may cause future problems for me, so I'll get RSS.

Edit: Sorry, I should have read the link you gave me before I replied. Here is my Player.log dropbox

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n37fg6c6me745sl/Player.log?dl=0

Edit 2: I should practice better forum etiquette... I'm going to try the Physics.cfg file from your thread. I will update if that helps me out.

Final Edit: Sweet! Thank you so much, sal_vager. I just needed your Physics.cfg file. I appreciate your help so much! I don't know how to change the original post, but this is definitely solved. You are awesome!

Edited by Shuriken333
Didn't include all the information

Derp sorry I forgot which OS..

Please find the Player.log in /home/yourusernamehere/.cinfig/unity3d/Squad/Kerbal Space Program/ and pit the whole thing on a file share site.

For detailed system specs, open a terminal and use "sudo apt install hardinfo", then open "System profiler and benchmarks" from your programs menu.

Save the report as plain text and upload that as well.

And yeah the default driver is the open source driver, and as you have a GeForce GTX 570 the nvidia-304, nvidia-331 and nvidia-304 drivers in the repository support it.

Newer drivers are available in the official PPA but lets stick to the ones in the repo for now.

I can't remember if 14.04 has nvidia-304 or I'd suggest using "sudo apt install nvidia-304" from the terminal, so open "Additional Drivers" from your programs menu as it will list all drivers available that it detects are suitable for your graphics card, then reboot.

I just saw your last line, oh well I'm leaving this up in case it helps anyone else :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.