Chinese Water Torture

Sampa

Ok, I just found this Mythbusters video on the Chinese Water Torture. Was wondering, What are your thoughts on it? Effective?

- - - Updated - - -

Also, my posting of this is in no way me supporting torture. I do NOT! But, this is an intriguing myth all the same.

Idk, but I don't get how slowly dripping water on someone causes them to panic and supposedly ultimately drive them insane, but it seems pretty effective...

Similar to holding your finger up to the bridge of someone's nose, I think. Some people absolutely can't handle it, or ANYTHING being put around the face for that matter. Probably as much of a natural 'reflex' as certain phobias are.

Idk, but I don't get how slowly dripping water on someone causes them to panic and supposedly ultimately drive them insane, but it seems pretty effective...

It works because you're tied down and because it's a distraction. If you were just tied to the table eventually you'd be able to fall asleep or you'd get used to it eventually. The water dripping on your fore head prevents you from ever adapting to your current situation. Then there's the fact that water or things on a persons face is irritating.

I guess it's so irritating it drives them crazy.

Presumably it is a mixture of irritation and inherent claustrophobia, it is hard to have water drip on your forehead, it causes irritation and seems to make them think of just the water hitting their face, nothing else. Over a period of hours such irritation and not being able to focus on anything else than the dripping and your constraints presumably would put quite a toll on anyone.

Now, is torture effective, no, it does not get you good information as the person will say anything that they think will get the torture to stop, which obviously can include things that are not true.

Now, is torture effective, no, it does not get you good information as the person will say anything that they think will get the torture to stop, which obviously can include things that are not true.

Is that all they used it for? ALL torture is hit-or-miss for interrogation, but it seems like it would've been a pretty (relatively-speaking) humane form of punishment compared to other techniques that were typically employed in that era. It's downright overbearing, without any of the messiness worthy of a "Saw" film.

Why do people think it's always about getting information?

It's not. Sometimes it's extracting a lie that's the point: i.e. extracting a "confession" from a political dissident. Sometimes the point is to demonstrate (or feel) power--"I can do this to people, and nobody can stop me". Sometimes the goal is to dissuade the victim from repeating an offense--"commit heresy again and you lose more fingers". Or, sometimes it's plain old basic revenge. "Law Abiding Citizen" anyone?

The old explanation was about sensory neuron feedback and gradual amplification of input. There are mechanisms at the synaptic terminals which provide both positive and negative feedback, and, presumably this would have been a case of the former. At least that's how I remember it. It's also an important mechanism for neuralgic pain where hypersensitivity arises in damaged tissue.

You saw the video and still ask if it would be "effective"?

She was surrounded by two medics and their friends/colleagues, could stop the experiment at any time, was not threatened and did not have to endure it day after day - but she still showed an "effective" reaction.

Physical torture is an immoral and ineffective way of obtaining valuable information, because the victim will often lie or provide irrelevant information to avoid pain. Just because the torture method itself is very painful does not mean it rivals modern interrogation techniques. Interestingly, I seem to recall that pure psychological torment (as employed by the infamous Stasi) is far more successful, but still grossly abhorrent.

Besides, torture breeds resentment towards the organization exercising it, this is counterproductive to someone interested in achieving stability.

Edited by Aanker

Physical torture is an immoral and ineffective way of obtaining valuable information, because the victim will often lie or provide irrelevant information to avoid pain. Just because the torture method itself is very painful does not mean it rivals modern interrogation techniques. Interestingly, I seem to recall that pure psychological torment (as employed by the infamous Stasi) is far more successful, but still grossly abhorrent.

Besides, torture breeds resentment towards the organization exercising it, this is counterproductive to someone interested in achieving stability.

As WedgeAntilles said above it's not about getting information, it's the excuse psychopathic people and institutions use for demonstrating dominance and/or revenge.

and it's not counterproductive if you are trying to create enemies to increase your own dominance and control.

believe me I know first hand, as one of very few people in the western world to have undergone torture.

btw the video got it wrong, it's supposed to be the crown of the head not the forehead.

You saw the video and still ask if it would be "effective"?

She was surrounded by two medics and their friends/colleagues, could stop the experiment at any time, was not threatened and did not have to endure it day after day - but she still showed an "effective" reaction.

This reminds me--there's one explanation I missed.

One of the standard tactics for dealing with imprisonment is to keep the mind distracted. The natural countermeasure, therefore, being to keep the prisoner constantly aware of his or her predicament. The Chinese water torture does this; it draws your attention every few seconds, keeping you aware you're imprisoned, and also making you pay attention to the passage of time--which makes it feel like time is

passing

much

more

slowly

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.