Farscape Module [1.0.4]

Odyssey

Just a heads up, if you want the .craft files to be installed when users install this mod via CKAN, they'll need to be in a folder named "SPH" or "VAB" (depending where you want launches from).

Good to know! Gonna do an update later today. I'll give the craft files their own folder. Anything else that anyone noticed that needs fixing? All ears

Guys,

I was doing some tweaking to give the engine another attachment node at the rear. I tried adding the line

node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -10.3, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0

right under the node_stack_top line. It doesn't seem to be working. Any advice?

also I have this which replaces that secondary engine tank thing. does same job

3u1hkKe.png

- - - Updated - - -

let me know how you want it modified

- - - Updated - - -

also let me know how we can do this control surface issue.

we can: divide the wings and have one part include invisible control surfaces,

something you place into the wings for CS,

add CS properties to another part, say, the engine.

don't forget the wings fold up with animation, for storage in something

Mike,

Smokin hot as ever, thanks for putting the work in! I hate looking a gift horse in the mouth, but, I did have a couple of notes.

The hetch drive parts should be gold (all Moya's components are sort of a golden-brass color).

The spikes coming out the front should probably not extend past the nose. I love the look, but just a tad shorter would be better. At this length, I'm a little worried they'd play hell with the re-entry profile.

I've been thinking about scenarios to build, as a fun addition to the mod. Two come to mind. One is the initial Farscape test done during the show (though we'll need an orbiter for that. Wonder where we could get one...) where we have the shuttle Collaroy take Farscape 1 (standard) into orbit. The challenge will be to burn a free-return trajectory around the Mun and then make a landing on the runway at KSC.

Another good scenario (borrowed from the Orbiter mod) would be a drop test from an aerial platform and a landing on the runway. Along with that, we could do an X-15 style flight with a sub-orbital (or even orbital objective) and have Farscape act as sort of a testbed for shuttle technology to come. That'd be different from the show, but still fun, at least for me. I love flight-testing scenarios.

Also, FWIW, on the show, they were able to fit 2 people inside the module, even though it was designed for one (though they didn't have super-puffy bubble helmets. I'm not suggesting we fit another seat or anything, but, that would make it more useful as a rescue vehicle, if that's something we want to think about.

Been trying to find screenshots from the show to use as a reference. Will likely have to break out my show discs.

This episode had some good shots of the module, but I still haven't found a screenshot that shows the hetch drive all that clearly.

(about 21 mins in, BTW, this is the WORST episode the show ever made).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9gNtrGG_8s

Also, for down-the-road someday, we could do the cartoon version

jHFP8w4.png

if we ever do that motor-bike mod that we talked about, this could be a fun companion piece for it. But it's more whimsy than suggestion.

Can't thank you and spock enough for crafting such a sweet mod!

no worries.

addon parts now gold, new passenger area added with seat and display screens

crew capacity 2

spikes shortened

extra kerbal seat added for visible kerbals on EVA view

you will have to excuse me as I haven't heard of farscape before I started on this mod

no worries.

addon parts now gold, new passenger area added with seat and display screens

crew capacity 2

spikes shortened

extra kerbal seat added for visible kerbals on EVA view

you will have to excuse me as I haven't heard of farscape before I started on this mod

Thanks Mike,

I literally just uploaded the revised stuff to Curse and Stuff, but send me the link for the latest and I'll change it again. My changes have mostly been cosmetic (names and descriptions). I think we might want to power the Hetch drive down a bit. At 20,000, the SAS literally can't control the ship at full throttle. It's just way more power than what would be useful. Let me know what you think it should be.

I'm wondering if we'd want to lower the IASA logo so that it's not covered by the Hetch, but part of me likes it that way, it's a good way to signal the difference between the standard and the upgraded versions. Let me hear from anyone with an opinion on this.

No trouble about not knowing the show. I gotta be useful for something. With any luck, you can take a look, either online or get yourself the DVD's. You'll be glad you did. It's a great show.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, just a minor tweak, but we might make them a little more bronze than gold. This shot of Moya shows the coloring pretty well.

sW7URt9.png

Still, minor issue at this point.

Finally found a clear shot. I'd been going through the episodes trying to find one that showed the spikes clearly. Totally forgot to check season 1.

Here's what we're looking for

yaSluSh.png

Please, whatever you do, don't add that big ugly spike and cup on the nose. The main module that we have is a thing of beauty and I'm sure they took that nose cup off for the rest of the show. (Actually looked more and it's an umbilical for repairs, so disregard it.) But this gives a clearer image of what the propulsion spikes look like. The white tips are actually pretty good I think, more metal than bright white, but we're getting pretty close.

Check this video at about 10:30 for some good shots.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1yx2je_farscape-1x11-till-the-blood-runs-clear-airvideo_tech

Edited by Odyssey

you will notice the spikes have been moved down to cleat the logo now.

changed the colour a bit now.

also with an editing program you can change the colours of the 'gold' and 'gold 2' textures, and any changes you make will show ingame.

im not sure what to set the engine power at, I will leave that to your experience

- - - Updated - - -

g2ShGpW.png

- - - Updated - - -

any better?

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nd7lie2lfyb2lp8/Farscape%20mod.zip?dl=0

Good stuff. I'm gonna play around with engine settings and the gold trim a bit. I'll try to post an update tonight, but I'm gonna go see The Martian, so it might be late (at least for me).

Been thinking about a new project. Tell me your thoughts...

oVPlSd4.png

Fellas,

Until one hour ago I had never left the Kerbin SOI...now thanks this Mod I paid a little visit to Duna and got home in time for Tea and Medals. :-)

I loved the TV show and will be following this mod avidly.

Keep up the good work :-D

It'd be a fun mod and a good one for kids and people new to the game. We could make the suit, have space in the bubble open for a Kerbal's head, and have it operate like an exterior seat or jetpack

have the wings be deployable and spring out from the backpack like an inflatable part.

Another one of my whimsy ideas, but the last one worked out pretty well.

I'll take a look for 3-D models of Buzz. Bound to be something out there.

Honestly, while a leviathan would be a very interesting (and probably big) mod, it's not exactly my cup of tea. This'll sound ridiculous, but, I kinda prefer my KSP to be as realistic as I can make it in terms of ship design and mission planning. A leviathan puts us waaay over into the sci-fi realm. It's not that it's a bad idea, just not my thing. Having said that, if I find a good model somewhere, I'll pass it along to Mike and/or anyone who wants to take a crack at it.

Mike, Spock, just so I've officially stated it. Welcome to Redwolf Aerospace

QbjvS9k.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.