Bugs, bugs everywhere...

Even though I still don't have solutions for these, after searching for a while, it seems issues #1, #2 and #4 are all linked and somehow caused by my savefile, which seems corrupted. It is available for download here, if anyone would like to see if they find anything. If your require the whole save folder, and not only the persistent.sfs, please ask and I will provide it.

OK, I usually don't really care about bugs, I just ignore them and run the game again and continue where I left.
But, there is a point when reloading the game almost every launch is more than annoying.
I have come to a point when memory crashes do not happen anymore, because a game-breaking bug happens before and I have to Alt-F4 KSP and hope my save not to be corrupted.

Specs, mods and other stuff:

Spoiler

KSP 1.0.4 32bit Windows running with -popupwindow

Computer specs:

• CPU: Intel i7-5500U
  • GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 950M 4GB
  • RAM: 8GB DDR3(L?)

DxDiag.txt

Mods installed:

• AeroGUI v2
  • Active Texture Management - Aggressive v5.0
  • Asteroid Day v1.0
  • Better Buoyancy v1.4
  • Chatterer v0.9.6
  • Contract Configurator v1.7.4
  • CrossFeed Enabler v3.3
  • Community Resource Pack v0.4.4
  • Engine Lighting v1.4.0
  • Hangar Extender v3.4.4
  • Kerbal Joint Reinforcement v3.1.4
  • Kerbal Alarm Clock v3.4.0
  • Kerbal Engineer v1.0.18.0
  • KSC Switcher v0.4
  • KSP Addon Version Checker v1.1.5.0
  • Lights Out v0.1.4
  • Module Manager v2.6.8
  • Procedural Fairings v3.15
  • RCS Build Aid v0.7.2
  • Real Fuels v10.6
  • Real Plume v10.4.9
  • Real Plume Stock Configs v0.7
  • Real Solar System v10.2
  • Real Fuels Stockalike v2.1.8
  • Science Alert v1.8.9
  • Smoke Screen v2.6.9.0
  • Solver Engines v1.11
  • SpaceY Expanded v0.5.1
  • SpaceY v1.0.4
  • Stock Clamshell Fairings v1.0
  • Stockalike Station Parts Expansion v0.3.3
  • Stock Bug Fix Modules v1.0.4c2
  • Stock Revamp v1.8.1
  • TAC Life Support v0.11.1.20
  • Texture Replacer v2.4.10
  • Total Time v0.1.0
  • Trajectories v1.4.3
  • Transfer Window Planner v1.3.1.0

Bug 1: Black screen on launch

When loading a ship onto launchpad or just switching vessels in map view, Earth disappears, but KSC is still there, or sometimes I'm sent in space. GUI also bugged with nothing written on the GUI things. No NaN though. Unable to move camera or to display any menu. It doesn't seem to corrupt the save, as launching KSP after that works fine, but maybe because it doesn't autosave.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Play KSP a little
  2. Launch a ship or switch vessels

Corresponding output_log.txt: bug occured, and I Alt-F4'd my game, as it is the only way to quit the game.

biEl9fQ.png

Bug 2: Outside of KSC clipping into VAB or SPH

When going inside VAB or SPH, sometimes the outside of the KSC appears to be clipping inside the VAB. Editor is not broken, and I can get back to KSC view, but if I launch a vessel with this bug in the VAB or SPH, then Bug 1 will happen, every time.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Play KSP a little
  2. Go into SPH or VAB

Corresponding output_log.txt (with bug 1 occuring when launching afterwards)

rHI1VJM.png

Bug 3: No parts appearing in VAB

This bug is very probably linked to ModuleManager and its tech tree system. It seems that the issue is caused by (re)installing MM on an already existing save (including updating it, or removing an older version). MM changes the tech tree path in the persistent.sfs file to its own tech tree and will not allow to restore it to the orignial location: manually editing the path is useless as MM restores it as soon as you launch the game or load the savefile. No issue found yet though.
The tech tree issue might also be caused by Community Resource Pack or orbital scans (issue discussed in
this thread). But the actual cause is not clear, as users reported having it on an install without CRP, and RoverDude denies it being the cause. A workaround found in the thread is to delete every planetary resource scan manually in the save file, and possibly not doing any anymore.

Sometimes, when reverting a flight to Vehicle Assembly, all parts will disappear from the editor menu. Can be solved by leaving VAB to KSC view, and getting back to VAB.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Play KSP
  2. Revert to "Vehicle Assembly"

Corresponding output_log.txt

MQRwa7b.png

Bug 4: Frozen tracking station

From recent threads (namely this one) that bug may be linked to Distant Object Enhancement. Even though I do not have it on this install, I had it but removed it due to conflicts with RSS. It is possible that it altered something in the save file that stayed after removing the mod. That would explain why the save that I created after removing DOE (and that therefore never had it) seems to work fine while the older one is bugged. But users report the bug being gone after removing DOE, so this is still only a hypothesis to be investigated. I just had this bug with a different install (that never had DOE), but with the same save, so if it is linked to DOE, then the problem definitely lays in the savefiles.
I had this bug recently: after having bug #2 while in the VAB, I went to the tracking station, and the bug occured. So it is almost certainly linked to bugs #1 and #2.

When accessing the tracking station, it sometimes freezes with nothing moving. Things in the GUI are written on others, no vessels on the left bar appear, and parts of the GUI (select objects type and information about focussed objects mainly) appear only when cursor is at particular places on the screen. Unable to move, choose any vessel or do anything. Exit button is also bugged so I have to Alt-F4 to get out.

Corresponding output_log.txt

X8Ssw6v.png

While hovering cursor over GUI:

kpSTKnh.png

[solved] Bug 5: Massive spam of output_log.txt

Solved by removing "Time to atmosphere" readout on KER preset

Take a look at any of the output_log I uploaded: half of them is these lines spammed thousands of times:

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 56)

dT is NaN! tA: NaN, E: NaN, M: NaN, T: NaN

Steps to reproduce:

1. Play KSP
  2. Open output_log.txt

---

These are getting more and more frustrating, as well as more and more frequent.
To give you an idea, here's what I did to get the screenshots:

1. Open KSP
  2. Deorbit a station from LEO
  3. Build a rocket in VAB
  4. Launch and revert from standing on the launchpad to vehicle assembly
  5. And the bug appears

As it goes on, I am seriously considering dropping KSP until 1.1 and hope for all these bugs to be fixed...
Any idea or clue on what causes these bugs, should it be a mod or whatever, is greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reading, and possibly helping,

Gaarst

Edited by Gaarst
Updated for IPS

I can answer number 3 straight away, it's caused by Module Manager, either the file was removed or when KSP tried to access it it was prevented from doing so.

MM makes your save file look for the MM TechTree file, instead of the Squad TechTree.cfg, so if removing MM or moving a save to an unmodded game, the Persistent.sfs needs the TechTree line edited to point to the Squad TechTree.cfg file.

Number 5 may be caused by the "time to atmosphere" readout in KER while your "orbit" is totally within the atmosphere. This has been fixed for the next release but in the meantime you will have to either remove that readout from your displays or close any window that contains that readout while totally in the atmosphere.

If it happens at other times then it is something else.

I run the game to see if your solutions work, and... meh :P

Sal's solution does not work properly: I changed the following line in persistant.sfs from:

TechTreeUrl = GameData\ModuleManager.TechTree

to

TechTreeUrl = GameData\Squad\Resources\TechTree.cfg

But after running the game, the bug occured again and I realised that the game changed the modified line back to ModuleManager.TechTree...

So am I doing this wrong or is it really the game not wanting me build rockets anymore ?

On the other hand, Padishar's solution works: I removed the "time to atmosphere" readout on my KER preset and the spam in the output log is gone, so that's at least one bug fixed, not the most important, but I'm still happy.

If you have ModuleManager installed then the TechTreeUrl line in your saves has to be the ModuleManager one or mods will not be able to modify the tech tree.

What may be happening is that a mod may be trying to change the tech tree and making a mess of it so the game fails to understand it. Can you upload your ModuleManager.TechTree file after this happens?

It might help if you delete the various ModuleManager cache files in the GameData folder and/or the PartDatabase.cfg file in the main KSP folder.

However, after taking a look at the log for problem 3 it appears that this exception may be the real cause:

InvalidCastException: Cannot cast from source type to destination type.
at RUIToggleButtonTyped.PopOtherButtonsInGroup () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at RUIToggleButtonTyped.SetTrue (.RUIToggleButtonTyped btn, ClickType clickType, Boolean popButtonsInGroup) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at PartCategorizer+.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

...in which case you might want to ask in the thread of whichever mod it is that includes PartCategorizer+. Unfortunately, I'm not sure which mod it is but this thread talks about the same problem and seems to be blaming a combination of the community resource pack and the stock resource scanning system. It has a number of suggestions that may work around the problem until it is properly fixed...

The trouble with this is that there could be many different bugs in stock and different mods that could produce the same symptoms. Basically, any exception during the startup of the VAB/SPH code seems to leave the editor in a very dodgy state with variations depending on how much code managed to run before the exception happened.

Considering I cannot even revert anymore without my game breaking I have to abandon this install of KSP. And considering this is my main install, with my saves relying on almost every mod, I cannot test every mod one by one (also I have 30+ mods) and anyway it will probably not give any result while testing mods alone.

I don't really want to start another save from scratch with half my mods, and these bugs kinda sap my will to play, so I'll just stop playing KSP until I or someone else finds a solution to these problems. I just hope 1.1 will fix those.

This really bothers me, and I love this game, but too much is too much: I want to be able to launch more than 1 rocket without crashing. I may start a new install if I get bored but still, I'll have to work on my anger management if this continues.

I'll try to find solutions if ever I'm in the mood to...

I think I'll stay around in the forums though, and will continue to follow this thread to see if anyone comes up with a solution or idea.

Thank you,

Gaarst

- - - Updated - - -

ModuleManager.TechTree

I'll try deleting the cache files some day...

Anyway, this one bug doesn't brake my game, just going to KSC view solves it; so even if this works, my problem is still there.

OK, so after thinking a lot about what could cause the bugs, searching inside mod folders/files for any possible cause, removing and reinstalling each mod at least one million times, trying almost every combination possible, I finally did what I should have done first and start a new game on the original install.

And for the best (or the worst, still haven't decided), after playing a few hours on the new save, testing kind of every mod part or functionality, it seems that the bugs I'm whining about do not occur in this save. This has led me to think that my savefile could actually be the source of the bugs. (This kinda makes sense when you think that even though I did not add any mods, the bugs got more and more frequent as I played).

I'll start to investigate that way, and if anyone would like to help me, here is the persistent.sfs file.

I'll also continue to search my mods or general install to see if I find anything.

OP updated.

Edited by Gaarst
OP updated

• 2 weeks later...

I am having all of these bugs as well. I have found some workarounds using the 'Quick' mods. Which are a group of mods that allow you to move to view the TS or VAB from anywhere. However they are really frustrating and have caused me other problems that are ruining the game for me.

Gaarst, can you please simplify how you fixed it for me? it is a problem with your save files, but what did you do to fix it?

Unfortunately, none of these are fixed except bug #5 (linked to KER, explained in OP). Bug #3 is pretty close to being solved, haven't tried enough to confirm.

Only creating a new save has got rid of these bugs, and I have not played it enough to affirm they are 100% gone. I'm still keeping my "original" save because I have played a lot on it and don't want to lose everything.

Even with a new "cleaned" install, these bugs are still present in my original save.

If you have the same bugs, please post as much information as you can on these (specs, modlist, logs...): the more common points between our two saves/installs we can find, the easier it will be to find the source of these bugs.

Unfortunately, none of these are fixed except bug #5 (linked to KER, explained in OP). Bug #3 is pretty close to being solved, haven't tried enough to confirm.

Only creating a new save has got rid of these bugs, and I have not played it enough to affirm they are 100% gone. I'm still keeping my "original" save because I have played a lot on it and don't want to lose everything.

Even with a new "cleaned" install, these bugs are still present in my original save.

If you have the same bugs, please post as much information as you can on these (specs, modlist, logs...): the more common points between our two saves/installs we can find, the easier it will be to find the source of these bugs.

I am having all of these bugs as well. I have restarted my game twice and reinstalled twice to fix this bug issue which makes the game very short and realistically only playable when I have nothing in flight.

Having seen this happening now for the third time I am really pissed, but KPS is such a good game that I am hoping for a fix.

Here is what happens:

I install the game fresh, clean out any old saves and ships just to be sure they don't mess it up. I reinstall CKAN. Before ever opening KPS I install the mods that I want and don't change them after that. I use about 20 mods, only more common ones that have been around for a long time. I then play normally. Every flight I launch, whether it be a probe or a massive station causes the game to have more of these glitches and of worsening intensity the more I play it. The glitches are that when I go to launch I often get a frozen screen which is either totally black with some weird graphics effects on the screen like clouds, or it looks like the space center with no ground, like it's floating in space. If the game doesn't crash at this point I just continue playing. The next problem I have seems to be after I save my game following a successful flight and go to the tracking station. The tracking station becomes progressively less functional the longer I play. It starts with the left menu not having any flights in it. If it shows flights and I click on one and click fly it focuses on KERBIN and then I cannot do anything, not even exit the tracking station forcing me to quit the game or find a mod workaround. I have had the same problem with the VAB not showing any parts, but I found that exiting and reentering it refreshes this. In the SPH I cannot load or save ANY vessel. These functions seem totally broken.

In my most recent game I have 8 flights and when I enter the tracking station if I click on a flight it says focus kerbin and then shows a black screen, not kerbin. On a couple of occasions it has said focus:Sun and then shows the sun.

For me that is about it. My biggest grievances are that I am nervous to try launching anything because it causes the game to crash even if the flight is only 35 parts, and that the tracking station becomes less functional the longer I play. I mean ..., the whole point of the tracking station is to TRACK your progess, but if I can't even go to look at a satellite which I launched to an asteroid (extremely challenging btw) than where is the fun in that?

Since the problems have to do with the tracking station I kind of think it is NOT a mod issue and is a 1.0 issue. Before 1.0 I didn't have these problems.

As it is now I can launch only 2 flights with none of these bugs. So it is like playing a new game every day. Which would be amazing if I was Leonard Shelby. (high five to anyone who gets this referene without googing)

and here is a modlist, sorry I forgot to add it when I replied:

active texture managment - basic

adjustable landing gear

animate emissive module

bahamuto animation modules

communitry resource pack

community tech tree

dated quicksaves

ESLD Jump Beacons

Extraplanetary launchpad simplifier

Extraplanetary launchpads

Firespitter core

impossible innovations

interstellar fuel switch core

Kerbal attachment system

Kerbal inventory system

Kerbal planetary base systems

KW ockety

KW rocketry - community fixes

Magicore

mechjeb 2

module manager

Module Rcsfx

near future construction

near future electrical

near future electrical core

near future IVA props

near future propulsion

near future propulsion extras: reduced thrust

Near future solar

near future spacecraft parts

quickexit

quickgoto

quickrevert

quickscroll

quicksearch

quickstart

station science

stock clamshell fairings

stockalike station parts expansion

tweakscale

USI exploration pack

USI freight transport technologies

USI kolonization

USI tools

Edited by distanceman

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Before they launched 1.05 and ruined all my saves I did find fix to this problem. I installed active texture management in the aggressive version and virtually all of the bugs went away. The game runs smoother and can run for well up to 3650M of ram which was impressive to me since I only have 4G of ram.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.