Blood Moon

legoclone09

Bah, every one of the lunar eclipses in this tetrad have been accompanied by persistent cloud cover over my area. Every single one. I feel like the heavens have cheated me.

EDIT: Tried to take a picture to help vent my frustration, but the clouds make it so dark outside that the only thing you could see would be the streetlamps.

Edited by pTrevTrevs

Strangely, the above picture make me think of Duna.

So, either you photoshoped it, or either I play too much KSP.

(Considering that I the picture look like the moon, it mean I play too much).

LOL as i didn't used photoshop.... maybe you play a lot with ksp, but we never play too much xD

So, what exactly is a "blood moon" anyway? How is this different from other eclipses?

The sunrise and sunset of the differing sides of the world provide redish light that get reflected off the moon, turning it red/orange throughout the eclipse. From what I understand. :)

So, what exactly is a "blood moon" anyway? How is this different from other eclipses?

First of all because of the color, which is caused by Rayleigh scattering of light passing through Earth's atmosphere and then illuminating the Moon behind it. Then there's biblical prophesy tied to the term, denoting 'end of days'.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and why this last one was referred to as a 'Super Blood Moon', was the fact the Moon was in perigee at the time.

The sunrise and sunset of the differing sides of the world provide redish light that get reflected off the moon, turning it red/orange throughout the eclipse. From what I understand. :)
First of all because of the color, which is caused by Rayleigh scattering of light passing through Earth's atmosphere and then illuminating the Moon behind it. Then there's biblical prophesy tied to the term, denoting 'end of days'.
So, it's just a regular eclipse that for some reason managed to get a silly, meaningless name attached to it, and the media has run with it, then? Edited by razark

So, it's just a regular eclipse that for some reason managed to get a silly, meaningless name attached to it, and the media has run with it, then?

Pretty much. And people think that there's special meaning of these eclipses just because Jewish occasions occur on such eclipses, totally ignoring the fact that the Jewish calendar is lunar-based.

The best I could manage.
Shooting for about 7 hours solid from midnight through sunrise.
Conditions were perfect, however it was my first time doing time lapses of any sort and somewhat of a learning experience.
I'd have done a lot differently.
Having only two 16gb cards limited me a lot; I had to make shorter, lower framerate time lapses than I would have liked.
Fairly pleased with my exposures however, which is always going to be tricky when the light levels change this much while the camera is set to a fixed exposure throughout.
I aimed to overexpose the fully lit moon enough that at peak eclipse it would be correctly exposed, and I think I pretty much nailed that.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.