Coming back from a Hiatus

WhiteWeasel

Due to my natural tendencies to cycle in and out of certain video games I have left KSP in February and I'm now coming back. I wanted to do a modded career run using alternis kerbol, TAC, KAX, Nearfuture, Hooligan airships, and several others. However I have been hearing information that there supposedly is going to be a big patch coming out, and you know what that means for mods...

What's this mythical 1.1 all about? And should I just hold off playing until then?

1.1 is switching KSP to a new version of the Unity engine, which should yield better performance, stability and likely 64-bit on all platforms (meaning more mods can be used). There are also some new jet engines and a communications system for uncrewed craft coming. The patch is close to going into QA, after which it will go into experimentals for testing. Each of those steps is a couple of weeks, so it's likely a month or more before it is available to the public.

In your shoes I would mess around with mods to decide what you want when it drops, unless you would be OK with just running a career save for a month or so.

1.1 will probably come in October or November. Since it's updating to a new major Unity version and changing a fair bit about the game I expect many mods to take a while updating. However the current release is in my opinion one of the worst in a long time, suffering from performance issues and a buggy and fundamentally flawed heating system. All round not the best of times to come back into KSP.

1.1 will probably come in October or November. Since it's updating to a new major Unity version and changing a fair bit about the game I expect many mods to take a while updating. However the current release is in my opinion one of the worst in a long time, suffering from performance issues and a buggy and fundamentally flawed heating system. All round not the best of times to come back into KSP.

I'm okay with the mods taking a while... Fallout 4 is coming out and I predict I'll be busy. :D

The patch is close to going into QA, after which it will go into experimentals for testing. Each of those steps is a couple of weeks, so it's likely a month or more before it is available to the public.

I shall be on the edge of my seat for all that time :/

Don't really see why 1.1 would force a new career though... surely just make sure all probes have a good antenna and you're ok? It's not like they took reaction wheels out of... oh, wait.

;)

Last time I checked, Alternis Kerbol was dead. As far as other mods, it will probably take at least a month for all of the mods to be updated to 1.1. With 1.1 coming up in October, you might want to wait until November for mods.

[citation needed]

Given the extent of the changes and the fact that it isn't in QA yet, let alone experimentals, October sounds a bit optimistic to me...

There are two projects to revive Alternis Kerbol, but both are in early development. The New Horizons planet pack is a similar idea and much more mature.

The antenna range feature in 1.1 is expected to be optional, so you can just turn it off.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.