Thuds Are Beautiful

Moesly_Armlis

Mark_55_Radial_mount_engine.png

The Mk-55 Thud liquid fueled engine now has my full attention. This is a complete turn around from my previous experiences in engineering rockets. The Thud engine was ignored and I used to design around the LV-T45 Swivel. The restrictions of 18 tonne and 30 parts has made the idea of lifting a payload of fuel into LKO a challenge. Using twin Thuds has offered the best design.

Compared with the LV-T45 the twin Mk-55 offer improved TWR and stability assist from the engine gimbal. If using a non pilot such as the Stayputnik Mk. 1 the extra stability is welcomed. Many booster designs were tried and no other performed as well. The average cost is around 40000 m/s Delta-V for circular orbit at 200 km and then the remainder is used for rendezvous.

Another vessel will dock with the fuel and use it for a kerbal Mun landing and return. Returning experiments from Mun under theses designs limitations was also challenging. The ability to lift a payload of a FL-T400 into LKO using limitations of 18t / 30 parts has now been accomplished and using twin Thuds was the right choice.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Anyone else ignored or underestimated the Mk-55 Thud liquid fuel engine?

To be honest, I thought the thread title was "Thugs are beautiful", and expected some amusing pics of gangsters wearing sundresses or something.

But this works too. :P

And I was thinking Thuds are beautiful:

440px-Republic_F-105D_Thunderchief_USAF.jpg

(They are. Especially when you need close air support. But I might be dating myself. :wink: )

As for the rocket engine, I've tried using them a couple of times on landers, but I always seem to get better results with a radially-attached FL-T200 and a Terrier. Never tried them as a launch engine.

Obviously that design works well. Two T45s would offer even more thrust, but it might well be more than you need. That was the situation with my Serran lander - one T45 would have made the lander too tall, and two T45's would have been massive overkill, a pair of Thuds was still overkill but worked well. (Serran is a mod planet with atmosphere, between Duna and Laythe in size.)

I've used them pretty often as lander engines, and a couple times added a dorsal/ventral pair for extra thrust aside a Mainsail on a first stage (with liquid boosters on the sides) - they turned out to not be necessary for anything that was light enough to not use a Mammoth core for though.

And I was thinking Thuds are beautiful:

#allthudsarebeautiful

I totally agree.

I use these sometimes on atmo landers/ascent vehicles, and as my OMS engines on my Space Shuttle.

But I agree with GoSlash27 (Slashy) about the math, sometimes the numbers tell me to use something else. But on the other hand, sometimes I'll make a concession on the engine's stats if other considerations are in play; such as engine dimensions, required mounting locations, compactness, gimbal range, etc. While an engine's performance on my landers are a huge consideration, it does need to be balanced with other contributing factors.

Yes, they were tweaked to be a useful engine now.

They have good TWR, the same as a Swivel. Their surface TWR is closer to their vacuum TWR, making them good for lifting at any altitude. PLUS they have lower drag that any other radial-mounted engine solution, whilst keeping the part-count low.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.