What will you do differently in your next career?

eddiew

Too much lower and it's liable to be grindy though. I wonder if it wouldn't be better to nerf the Mun and Minmus science multipliers, so that relatively speaking the rewards for going interplanetary will be bigger.

I agree - I want to be forced away from Mun and Minmus, not have to do every biome on them before I can even think about an interplanetary probe. Fortunately, DMagic has us covered on that front; check his Celestial Body Science mod: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/120731-1-0-x-DMagic-s-Modlets-Latest-Update-Portrait-Stats-v6-0-8-26-2015

I agree - I want to be forced away from Mun and Minmus, not have to do every biome on them before I can even think about an interplanetary probe. Fortunately, DMagic has us covered on that front; check his Celestial Body Science mod: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/120731-1-0-x-DMagic-s-Modlets-Latest-Update-Portrait-Stats-v6-0-8-26-2015

Mun and Miunmus should have had less biomes. KSC specific biomes should not exist.

I assume it will then be my last PC game i ever play.

Heh, so true!

Mun and Miunmus should have had less biomes. KSC specific biomes should not exist.

For the Mun and Minmus, the number of biomes is good for me, but the science multiplier could go way down.

The KSC biomes I agree should all go.

I find them quite nice for a little early boost or for covering a little gap to the next tech without doing an involved mission. It's convenient.

Fortunately, if you dislike them you are not forced to utilize them, unlike your suggestion, which would force a particular preference on everybody.

Configurability is king :) I wouldn't mind an ultra-fine-detailed game setup where you could define all the planetary multipliers, with KSC on its own little section...

Then again, I've been playing at 20% science and I can't send the KSC data to a science lab, so in this scenario it's pretty balanced. I can slap a wheelie-jet together and do brake-torque turns around KSC, but it'll only net me single figures per experiment. Makes up a gap if I'm close to the next research node, but on its own it's a surprisingly large effort for a small payoff.

Well, I live in hope of one day playing Career mode and not getting so bored with it that I never get as far as the Mun. But that's just me (a confirmed Science mode KSP'er) :-}

If you want to get into career mode with out going through the initial grind for science or funds, you can adjust how much of those you start with before you begin in the difficulty settings. Want hard mode without the initial grind? You can do it! Difficulty and where you start in the space program is all customizable.

Well, I live in hope of one day playing Career mode and not getting so bored with it that I never get as far as the Mun. But that's just me (a confirmed Science mode KSP'er) :-}

Interestingly, it looks like 1.0.5 will overhaul the contracts system - you may get your wish :)

Play smarter most likely. By that I mean I don't bother with efficient transfer orbits right now, or figuring out minimum delta requirements. I just throw a rocket and probe into kerbin's orbit, then load up tons of fuel, and get to other planets asap.

Try to go there in as few launches as possible as a challenge. Its possible to land a Kerbal on the Mun on with your fifth rocket on hard mode without abusing KSC science. Its hard to get bored that quickly if you haven't tried it before :sticktongue: Edited by ghpstage

Hey peeps,

So the faint whiff of 1.1 is on the breeze and we're all hoping for it in the next couple of months so's we can abuse the performance improvements and hopefully unleash all 64 of our bits.

Some of us are working hard on our current games, others are sitting out so's to be keen and fresh for the drop. I'm in the latter camp, which has given me the time to think about how I play and the choices I make and how some of them are hampering my enjoyment of KSP - which got me wondering...

What is the one biggest thing y'all will change in your next career? (AKA what did you do in 1.0.4 that was your worst enemy?)

For myself, it will be to stop collecting so many contracts at once. Usually I grab everything that I'll want to do "one day" and it leads to an awful lot of bread-and-butter Mun runs and tourist ferries while the bigger interplanetary missions go un-done for weeks (of real time). It makes me quite wealthy quite fast, but it doesn't get me anywhere new and interesting or do much to beef up my science income (which is down on 20%). I need to learn that there will almost always be a tourist mission available if I need cash, and there is no need to commit to it right now.

So instead, I will only be taking missions for one place at a time. Hopefully this will get me out to more exotic places, and let me start capitalizing on the high science/rep multipliers around Jool's moons and all the New Horizons planets (most of which I still haven't landed on).

Curious to hear other people's thoughts on how they've been their own worst enemy and how they'll try to make friends with themselves next career? Will you be adding a mod? Removing one? Turning off heating? Turning heating back on? Banning probe landers? Or just changing the way you approach the contract system? I feel like there might be untapped wisdom in your answers that others (and I) could learn from :)

Funny, for me it's quite the opposite. I've found myself going straight to the more interesting contracts and I feel I'm missing out on all the stuff there is to do at and around Kerbin. For my next career I'll take things slower and try no to skip ahead so fast.

Funny, for me it's quite the opposite. I've found myself going straight to the more interesting contracts and I feel I'm missing out on all the stuff there is to do at and around Kerbin. For my next career I'll take things slower and try no to skip ahead so fast.

Tbh, I think there's a balance to be had... if you do too much around Kerbin, then planetary orbits don't really go anywhere and your transfer windows never arrive :)

I've found that 20% science and Community Tech Tree provide a good reason not to neglect Kerbin's SoI though - it becomes pretty important to get a lab up and make sure all your return missions actually dock at it if you want to get a decent amount of science. Which means you might as well make it into a proper space station ^^

I swear to Jeb I will finally do my Space Plane Focused Career Run.... THE SHUTTLES WILL BE BUILT!

I know I said this back when the tech tree was still new.... and when improved aerodynamics came out... and when KSP went to BETA.... and when it went to full release... and any time new airplane parts where added.... and last update with fixes to heating....

BUT THIS TIME WILL BE THE TIME! (There are new aircraft parts! :D )

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.