Das Boot: U-Boat With Full Interior! [New Low Parts Version]

pTrevTrevs

snip

Dive Capable- I plan to use a mod that adds some sort of ballast tank to the game to submerge the boat. Let me know which one I ought to use. Better Buoyancy may come into play here as well.

snip

BDA Equipped- I don't think BDA has torpedoes, but I can probably replace the stock deck gun and flak gun with BDA weapons. I may even be able to rig up some makeshift fish with Air-to-Ground missiles.

Fengist's maritime pack will be worth looking at. It uses bitts and blisters and some compressors, but they should be very easy to conceal within the depths of this steel beast.

As for torps, the most reliable German torpedo of the early war was the gas/steam driven torpedo. So potentially once 1.1 drops you could use the mini jets and do it stock

Congrats on the sticky, pTrevTrevs! For such a detailed ship, this deserved it :)

Forgive me if I hadn't read the summary entirely, but how do you place it in the water?

Hyperedit :D

Absolutely incredible. :D I love the way you can turn regular KSP parts into naval guns, torpedoes, control panels, bunks... Wow! I really wish I could do interiors this detailed, but my computer won't handle much more than 200 parts. :confused: I'll stick with small-scale stuff, but this build is truly something else.

Absolutely incredible. :D I love the way you can turn regular KSP parts into naval guns, torpedoes, control panels, bunks... Wow! I really wish I could do interiors this detailed, but my computer won't handle much more than 200 parts. :confused: I'll stick with small-scale stuff, but this build is truly something else.

You can do a lot with just 150 parts if you know what you are doing.

Congrats on the sticky, pTrevTrevs! For such a detailed ship, this deserved it :)

Forgive me if I hadn't read the summary entirely, but how do you place it in the water?

Yeah, Hyperedit is your best bet. KerbinSide launch sites may work for you, but they gave me weird problems. If you want to go stock, you can strap wheels on it and drive it down to the water, but good luck safely launching it!

Fengist's maritime pack will be worth looking at. It uses bitts and blisters and some compressors, but they should be very easy to conceal within the depths of this steel beast.

As for torps, the most reliable German torpedo of the early war was the gas/steam driven torpedo. So potentially once 1.1 drops you could use the mini jets and do it stock

I'll take a look at it.

Torpedoes: I'm not so worried about how to make the torpedo itself, the problem is going to be building tubes for it. I've already just about maxed out my computer's max capabilities when I try to run this craft, and adding tubes without ruining the look of the nose will be difficult.

Congrats with the sticky!

Danke schön, danke schön!

Thanks, the low parts and welded parts versions will be for you.

Indeed. Many techniques I found on the aesthetics thread or developed them from similar techniques found there. I think the radiator bunk is my own design, as is the periscope eyepiece. The top of the periscope (the retractable drill) was stolen... I mean... Uh... Borrowed, yeah, borrowed, from Azimech and his yellow submarine.

Errrrr, nope.

If it takes 800 parts to make an interior this detailed, then it takes 800 parts to make an interior as detailed as this. Take away 750 parts and its not going to be anywhere near as detailed is it?

Errrrr, nope.

If it takes 800 parts to make an interior this detailed, then it takes 800 parts to make an interior as detailed as this. Take away 750 parts and its not going to be anywhere near as detailed is it?

I think what he means is you can make a detailed interior with 150 parts, but not one quite as grandiose as this. There are plenty of places I could have scrimped on detail, but didn't. I probably could have replaced the structural plates in the floor with large wing segments to save on parts, removed a few instruments in the control room, etc.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Just now, ImperialistPigDog said:

looks awesome, any way to make workable torpedoes?

I think he is working on them at the moment. I have seen some WIP pics from him recently. Check out the WIP thread.

Edited by Majorjim

1 hour ago, ImperialistPigDog said:

looks awesome, any way to make workable torpedoes?

Eeeehhhh..... I could... But I have yet to get them to go fast enough to do damage. Also, I don't know where I could put them without either ruining the shape of the boat or adding lots of parts.

Huh, I guess I could put them on the top deck, but then I would have to make the boat able to submerge to make them easy to fire.

To be honest, I think it would be a bad idea to screw around with this boat any more, it's had a good run, but I'm afraid trying to add some new feature may ruin it. I really don't want to ruin it. I have been toying with the idea of doing a new, smaller U-boat with torpedoes and no interior, but it won't be coming very soon. I need to finish the ironclads, and school starts back in a few days.

• 4 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.