Das Boot: U-Boat With Full Interior! [New Low Parts Version]

pTrevTrevs

I present... My magnum opus!!

yRoHnWZ.png

I have created a replica World War II U-Boat with a complete interior. It's part count if around 860, and, being a stock submarine, can't move faster than a snail's pace, but if you need a U-boat for a film, this is for you. The interior is based on that from the game Silent Hunter 5, as well as a few books I have.

I have based the boat on a Type VII U-Boat, but it does bear a resemblance to the Type IX. Really, it's a generic "represent-all" ship, which suits me fine.

You want more pictures? Of course you do! Look upon the glory of the Kreigsmarine, look and be amazed!!!

qCNomL2.png

Jeb and Bill on lookout duty during a war patrol. No ships in sight, because if I tried to put any nearby, my computer would crash, and would take a while to recover.

Pt7UURy.png

The U-Boat features an 8.8cm deck gun for sinking isolated, unarmed merchant ships. It won't do any good against warships, but you can sink ships without wasting precious torpedoes.

r5M3V78.png

For defense against aircraft, a flak gun has been mounted behind the conning tower.

Here comes the interior, brace yourself, it's gonna be cool! :cool:

io5K686.png

The control room features the observation periscope, navigation map, depth gauge, many other nameless instruments, and the ladder to the deck. Quite obviously, the submarine is controlled from here.

i6pzvFv.png

The Fore Torpedo Room features four torpedo tubes (hehe, funny), loading racks, and two spares. Most shots are fired from this room, as the rear room is mainly for emergencies.

khoOLhb.png

Fore Quarters is where officers berth. The captain's bed is on the left. Due to lack of space, most crewmen have to "hot rack", which means they share a bunk with someone else. When one man goes on duty, the person he relieves takes his bunk. Such is the life of the Sea Wolves.

FpQmIXo.png

The Radio Room is a small cubicle in the Fore Quarters. Messages to other ships/Berlin can be made from here, and enemy ships can be tracked on radar.

1Ixa6LH.png

Behind the Control Room, the aft quarters is where enlisted men berth. The galley is in the back, where food is prepared for the crew.

6F9DHzP.png

The Diesel Engine Room houses two engines to propel the boat while surfaced. Careful, these engines have no safety guards, engineers commonly lose fingers from their engines.

4essZSN.png

In the back, electric motors are housed for underwater propulsion. They are less powerful then the diesels, but also make much less noise and produce no exhuast, handy for evading enemy sonar/ASDIC. Also, you know, you can't have exhaust underwater. :D

tWsmTUy.png

In the very back, a single torpedo tube allows the boat to attack pursuers, or to get a quick shot off without having to turn the whole sub.

RMHl2PK.png

"BATTLE STATIONS!! Smoke on the horizon! Prepare to dive!!"

idN4oas.png

"Take us down, Bill, fifty meters!"

cr0D4vC.png

I could sound battle stations all day long, it's so cool to see the red lights come on!

The Kriegsmarine is always looking for crafty submariners to raid enemy merchant ships, do you have what it takes?

DOWNLOAD HERE

NEW!!! Since many people can't run this on their computer, I've added a version without an interior to reduce part count.

DOWNLOAD LOW PARTS VERSION

Remember to leave a comment, some rep if you enjoyed, and any suggestions for improvement will be appreciated!

Enjoy!

Edited by pTrevTrevs

Thanks, everyone, this might be my most popular craft!

Das Boot was a wonderful movie, with a lot of attention to detail.

This is a wonderful ship, with a lot of attention to detail.

Coincidence? I think not. :)

I must confess, I haven't seen Das Boot, although my copy of the novel is supposed to arrive sometime tomorrow.

I certainly hope that little "sunk in port" remark in your rep comment wasn't a spoiler...

Thanks, everyone, this might be my most popular craft!

I must confess, I haven't seen Das Boot, although my copy of the novel is supposed to arrive sometime tomorrow.

I certainly hope that little "sunk in port" remark in your rep comment wasn't a spoiler...

Oops. :blush: Well, maybe the movie is different from the novel. :blush:

*much sorry*

Wow... I have to be honest, I normally disapprove of KSP being combat... but this I absolutely make an exception for!

Das Boot was a great book, and movie, and I do believe you've done it justice. I'm most loving the interior.... your attention to detail is stunning.

And it's stock??? Again, wow!

I also am amazed.

Oh boy, a moderator noticed my craft!

Nope, not different...

Damn...

I don't like it... :sealed::mad:

Damn, damn! What's wrong with it? Too many parts? Lack of functionality?

If people want, I can release an "Economy Class" version without the interior, for people who still want to run it but have a potato computer.

I'm a bit drunk. Sorry.

It's lovely. For all your submersible needs...

Stock depth-charges up next? Or torpedoes perhaps? :D

Stock depth charges don't seem too hard, the ore tanks should work well enough, but actually getting them to explode is a problem. Also, if I made a destroyer to launch them, the lag would skyrocket and the FPS would plummet.

Unity 5, save us from part lag!

I think it's great, so great in fact that I am sticking this for October :D

Thanks! I'm glad to see you like it!

I have plans for a few different future variants to be released.

Low Part Count- This one will have the interior removed or minimalists for people that don't have so great of a computer. I know how bad it feels when your computer can barely run stock KSP.

Dive Capable- I plan to use a mod that adds some sort of ballast tank to the game to submerge the boat. Let me know which one I ought to use. Better Buoyancy may come into play here as well.

Welded-I think the UbiZor welding mod still works in 1.0, so I think I can try and weld some parts together to minimize the part count.

BDA Equipped- I don't think BDA has torpedoes, but I can probably replace the stock deck gun and flak gun with BDA weapons. I may even be able to rig up some makeshift fish with Air-to-Ground missiles.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.