Das Boot: U-Boat With Full Interior! [New Low Parts Version]

pTrevTrevs

5 hours ago, TedwinKnockman66 said:

Now we need KSP movie parody! And we name parody: maybe Jeb Boot! or KSP Boot

Hey, if you (or anyone else) want to make Kas Boot and put it on YouTube, feel free to use my boat. You will notice I have released a version without the interior, it would be better for filming the boat's exterior. Unfortunately, I have yet to build a submersible variant, the Mk3 cargo bays are just too damn buoyant!

Of course, you could probably just hack the game files to give them lower buoyancy......

I released this craft in what, September? October? I'm surprised people are still talking about it. Have I accidentally created a KSP legend?

On 1/27/2016 at 3:22 AM, pTrevTrevs said:

Hey, if you (or anyone else) want to make Kas Boot and put it on YouTube, feel free to use my boat. You will notice I have released a version without the interior, it would be better for filming the boat's exterior. Unfortunately, I have yet to build a submersible variant, the Mk3 cargo bays are just too damn buoyant!

Of course, you could probably just hack the game files to give them lower buoyancy......

I released this craft in what, September? October? I'm surprised people are still talking about it. Have I accidentally created a KSP legend?

"Accidentally"? A ship with a full, detailed interior is enough to blow the mind of the entirety of the Spacecraft Exchange. :wink:

• 6 months later...
3 hours ago, pTrevTrevs said:

*shuffles feet* 

Well... No, I've tried, but Mk 3 parts are just too buoyant. I'm working on a new U-boat that doesn't have an interior but looks much closer to a Type VII and can dive.

I tried your Gato sub but shifting ore is just very inconvenient so I just used the Maritime Pace water compressor and decompresser to make it dive. It behaves nicely, but it has a tendency to flip over.

7 hours ago, Wildcat111 said:

I tried your Gato sub but shifting ore is just very inconvenient so I just used the Maritime Pace water compressor and decompresser to make it dive. It behaves nicely, but it has a tendency to flip over.

Right, KSP doesn't have proper fluid dynamics in the water, so making a boat or sub behave realistically is an astronomically difficult process. I spent over a month balancing the Gato alone.

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, 322997am said:

mah i5 4690k, will it run this. I'll be back to my PC in 2 days so I'd like to check it out.

Shouldn't have a problem with an i5, but if you dont have very much RAM I would recommend the economy class boat instead. I have not dared to run this behemoth since 1.1 was released though, so maybe it will go a little smoother now.

1 hour ago, pTrevTrevs said:

Shouldn't have a problem with an i5, but if you dont have very much RAM I would recommend the economy class boat instead. I have not dared to run this behemoth since 1.1 was released though, so maybe it will go a little smoother now.

You should open it dude. I saw a few parts that have since changed shape a lot and will look out of place now. Is it possible to move around inside easily when it is afloat?

Edited by Majorjim!

1 hour ago, Majorjim! said:

You should open it dude. I saw a few parts that have since changed shape a lot and will look out of place now. Is it possible to move around inside easily when it is afloat?

Yeah, I think I have the craft file tucked into a corner of my hard drive, if I can find it I'll open it up and check it out this weekend. If I can't find it I'll have to redownload it from here when I get back home.

Walking around inside is still possible as far as I know, in fact many of the pictures on the OP were taken with the boat in the water. Again though, the boat is getting old (it's one year anniversary is coming up!), and many things have changed regarding the water and the parts used in it, so I can't make any guarantees until I inspect it for myself.

Just now, pTrevTrevs said:

Yeah, I think I have the craft file tucked into a corner of my hard drive, if I can find it I'll open it up and check it out this weekend. If I can't find it I'll have to redownload it from here when I get back home.

Walking around inside is still possible as far as I know, in fact many of the pictures on the OP were taken with the boat in the water. Again though, the boat is getting old (it's one year anniversary is coming up!), and many things have changed regarding the water and the parts used in it, so I can't make any guarantees until I inspect it for myself.

Cool, it's worth updating! I just saw how many folks repped it.. Damn.

21 hours ago, pTrevTrevs said:

I got 16gb 1600mhz

3 hours ago, 322997am said:

I got 16gb 1600mhz

Should be all right then, although if you're still worried I would run it in an installation without any mods.

33 minutes ago, KerbalXcer said:

Amazing!! But one thing, :wink: see Bob Fitch on youtube.com (https://www.youtube.com/user/BeazaYT)  Then you can get lots of ideas! Make more! 

Yes, I know @Felbourn, he makes great videos, but I'm afraid I don't se what he has to do with an aging replica of a German U-boat.

2 hours ago, Felbourn said:

Is that a challenge? :wink: 

Well, I didn't really intend it as one, considering the fact that you don't usually make ships or boats...

Of course, if you think you can make a better U-boat (with interior) than this you're certainly welcome to try.

31 minutes ago, Felbourn said:

I thought you were challenging me to "fit in" a u-boat to my usual story lines, not to make one.

Oh, I see. Well, I suppose that works too, if you're up for it. Bonus points for each Das Boot (the movie, not my boat) reference you can squeeze in.

With all the mods you use, you could probably make an even better looking interior than mine.

Edited by pTrevTrevs

11 hours ago, Felbourn said:

Why do that when you've already done the work... :wink:

Well, when you put it that way you might want to wait for my new U-boat to be finished. It uses a mod and has no interior, but it is capable of diving and looks almost exactly like a U-boat.

EDIT: As a more direct answer to your question, rhetorical though it may be, I would like to point out that the interior for this boat is not only a year old (and thus certain parts will appear very different or possibly not work at all), but the stock interior would look quite out of place from the highly modded, detailed interiors you usually make.

Edited by pTrevTrevs

9 hours ago, Felbourn said:

It would, however, be a perfect contrast to my "modern" interiors if I wanted it to appear 1940s Earth retro. Perhaps episode 12...

Oh yeah, before I forget, here are a few pictures of my new WIP "Das Reboot". I wasn't planning on releasing it until later this month, but it's very close to being finished, so if you want I could hurry it up and PM you the file. Again, there's no interior (so if you want that the old boat is still gonna be better), but it looks much better on the outside than the original does.

Spoiler

XSrPcws.png

w766UNp.png

txmJyhv.png

Photograph for reference.

Spoiler

u1023.jpg

Edited by pTrevTrevs

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.