Improved-visibility lander can

FredMSloniker

I have a need for a KSP part I just can't find, and I'm hoping you can help.

I really enjoy flying ships IVA, but the problem with cockpits is they face away from all the good stuff. There are good reasons for this in real life, but in KSP, I'd like to be looking out the side of the ship, like in a lander can. The thing is, the two stock lander cans have pretty small windows. I'd rather have a wide view - like, the default camera angle/zoom sees only window, and I have to look around to spot any instruments. That said, having it strutted up like the cupola wouldn't be a problem, as long as the struts were fairly thin. Like the USI Exploration pack's HERP Pod, only oriented sideways.

I know about the Panopticon pod, which would at first blush seem to fit my needs. And it's all right. But it doesn't look stock at all, which is kind of an issue for me, aesthetically. So what I'm asking is this: would any of you be interested in making an alternate Mk. 1 lander can with a big window? Something like this (fear my MSPaint skills!):

rK9l8vE.png

Only maybe with some struts on the bendy parts or something. And it doesn't have to look exactly like that; if you have other ideas, go for it!

A Mk. 2 version (and a Mk. 3 version, with three crew, a 270 degree window, and poor Bill staring at the crew hatch?) would be cool as well, but if I can only talk you into one, I'll take the Mk. 1. Do any of you think you'd be interested? Or do you know something already that might fit the bill?

Sorry to keep you waiting! I'm not sure what to offer, though, in terms of guidance, other than this.

This is what the IVA looks like for the stock Mark 1 lander can.

STZU1lr.png

This is what I want it to look like.

RvYkjMg.png

Okay, maybe throw in some toggle-able HUD stuff, or move the instrumentation off to the far sides and roof, but I want a big, clear window to look through. Standard capsules, even the ones with larger windows (like the spaceplane stuff), are looking the wrong way to see any of the cool stuff, and the lander cans have tiny windows (plus, the Mark 2's window is fogged for some reason).

I don't need those fancy see in from the outside windows (though if you want to, that'd be neat), just a nice big picture window to look through from the inside. Mark 2 (and Mark 3, with 270 degree coverage and poor Bill staring at the hatch?) variants would be welcome, but something like this, that'd fit in with the stock looks and let me do my all-IVA run without 90% of the view being unchanging instruments, is all I want.

• 2 weeks later...

theoritically someone could probably use the 1 man lander can and remove the right uppper and lower instruments to make room for more windows, but then you would be lacking in instruments, thought that could be overcome with rasterpropmonitor stuff/other iva enhancements/placement somewhat overhead for instance i guess.

cant do it myself (can only modifiy config files somewhat, sorry!) but totally digging the idea :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.