[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

17 minutes ago, Zorg said:

Little bonus refresh of the RS68 is on github too now. Minor refinements really. Can you spot the difference?

screen_2560x1440_2021-04-19_17-54-17.png

screen_2560x1440_2021-04-19_17-53-21.png

screen_2560x1440_2021-04-25_13-21-51.png

screen_2560x1440_2021-04-25_04-11-53.png

I think a circle/hole on the gimbal thing that is connected to the engine with struts

On 4/25/2021 at 7:36 AM, KeaKaka said:

One ISINGLASS replica coming right up!*

*Not that anyone knows what it looks like, I think I saw something referring to it as looking like a mini shuttle orbiter.

ISINGLASS!

screenshot0.pngscreenshot1.pngscreenshot2.png

Launched from the underbelly of a Stearwing A300.

Apologies for the lack of visual mods.

Edited by KeaKaka
Better image quality

@Zorg   Time to give you some praise and adulation!

I didn't get to test all the engines in flight yesterday but I looked at them all.   You have made some amazing engines with these new toyz.   I can't wait for the final balance passes on them.   

As I noted above, the RL20-P3 booster engine does not QUITE have enough to boost a full up Saturn II stage (worried about what will happen after the re-scale.)   But suffice to say they did marginally OK.   (An Apollo Blk III capsule with the BlkV SM to LKO but with almost no AZ50/NTO left in the Service module.)

My original attempt at getting an over Heavy Saturn II INT-17 utilizing the biggest MS-II tankage from the Extras folder was sub orbital.    (Saturn MLV MS-IIA tank, Saturn ETS S-IVC upper stage, Venus/Eve Flyby module, and full Lunar CSM on an Apollo Blk III)

Final attempt with correct tanks was still too much fuel but ran out of D/V to get to orbit if I lowered it to the correct 68% First stage fuel load and 55% 2nd stage fuel load (going from memory on those fuel loads...   2nd stage may be as high as 98% max IDR)

First and last attempt both shortly after launch (look at mechjeb d/v window as well as CSM and length of stages to see what I described above

Spoiler

kTCSep8.jpg

btfiMZv.jpg

7 RL20P3s burning their little hearts out:

bjkCnyH.jpg

You can see by how little fuel is remaining how bad a full tank launch of the Saturn II INT-17 is (IRL if the HG3 was a real engine with stated specs IT would be in the same boat!)

Found two potential issues with the RL20 Vac

Spoiler

Notice junction to S-IVB engine plate (highlighted engine so easier to see:

YFptaCY.jpg

Should there be more than a white circle here?

Pq9Qs8b.jpg

Both images are of the vacuum RL20

5 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Wasn't feeling up to streaming this weekend but got some good work done on the Apollo command module :)

bd1C1jN.png

I don't really use the Apollo capsule in BDB, but that's a FINE looking command module. :wink:

On 4/24/2021 at 10:51 AM, Marlon Kerman said:

How do I seperate the Atlas and Delta IV M boosters?

Delete the folders (In the parts folder of BDB) that aren't Atlas, Delta, Centaur, or AtlasV I think. that's how I did it. if you want delta II/III keep "thor." Also I would keep SAF (so you can have fairings), and Shared, science, generic, aero, as well as antennas just to be safe.

16 hours ago, Zorg said:

Little bonus refresh of the RS68 is on github too now. Minor refinements really. Can you spot the difference?

screen_2560x1440_2021-04-19_17-54-17.png

screen_2560x1440_2021-04-19_17-53-21.png

screen_2560x1440_2021-04-25_13-21-51.png

screen_2560x1440_2021-04-25_04-11-53.png

AWESOME! love the RS-68's! (You can probably guess why) :) 

Edited by CollectingSP

2 hours ago, CollectingSP said:

Delete the folders (In the parts folder of BDB) that aren't Atlas, Delta, Centaur, or AtlasV I think. that's how I did it. if you want delta II/III keep "thor." Also I would keep SAF (so you can have fairings), and Shared, science, generic, aero, as well as antennas just to be safe.

Errrm , he means how to separate the boosters from the rocket inflight

11 hours ago, Pappystein said:

Notice junction to S-IVB engine plate (highlighted engine so easier to see:

Not sure what you mean here?

11 hours ago, Pappystein said:

Should there be more than a white circle here?

FX are still work in progress and theres some tweaks to be made but yes the inner glow is restricted to the upper nozzle just like other deployable engines. (the glow itself needs to be tuned).

Having an issue with one of the dual payload adapters. It seems to have a weird physics issue. Shakes violently, doesn't move when thrust is applied, and behaves weirdly all around. I don't have an image, but it's the white payload adapter. 

P.S, I tried making it an aeroshell, and found out that it REALLY doesn't like it.

3 hours ago, alberro+ said:

Having an issue with one of the dual payload adapters. It seems to have a weird physics issue. Shakes violently, doesn't move when thrust is applied, and behaves weirdly all around. I don't have an image, but it's the white payload adapter. 

P.S, I tried making it an aeroshell, and found out that it REALLY doesn't like it.

Which KSP version is this?

Quick little bug or missing feature,

The nozzle extension on the XLR-129 cannot be automated, so when it is switched to automatic switching in the right-click menu it doesn't switch automatically, it's still manual.

28 minutes ago, KeaKaka said:

Quick little bug or missing feature,

The nozzle extension on the XLR-129 cannot be automated, so when it is switched to automatic switching in the right-click menu it doesn't switch automatically, it's still manual.

That because automatic switching waits for the primary engine to flame out to switch modes. It doesn't know how to deal with switching when the secondary engine become more efficient.

Edited by Jso
clarity

7 hours ago, Jso said:

That because automatic switching waits for the primary engine to flame out to switch modes. It doesn't know how to deal with switching when the secondary engine become more efficient.

So I knew that but @Zorg  when would you say is the best altitude to change the engine mode? JNSQ wise.

4 hours ago, SpaceFace545 said:

So I knew that but @Zorg  when would you say is the best altitude to change the engine mode? JNSQ wise.

Not sure I've not tested this myself yet. You can use Kerbal engineer and monitor the Isp over a couple of launches and find the crossover point. Its probably earlier than you might think.