[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

1 hour ago, Beccab said:

Alright, I've just completed recreating the Early Lunar Access mission from 1993 - the thing took more than two days between irl things and the rendezvouz/dockings which I hate that the mission required, so enjoy!
For those unaware, ELA was the "cheaper-faster-better" approach applied to go back to the moon, using the Shuttle and the Titan IV (or the Ariane-5 to include the ESA) to assembly a lunar lander and the Centaur, this way:

Reveal hidden contents

Early Lunar Access

Because of how long and complicated this mission was I've made almost 250 screenshot of it to get a few decent ones to post here, which I've decided to split into groups to avoid cluttering the thread.
Launch of the shuttle, deploying the lander and the capsule:

Launch of the Centaur upper stage on a Titan IV:

Assembly of the transit vehicle and TLI:

Lunar landing:

Departure and return to Earth

Now THIS is what I call overengineering. 10/10 very swag

3 minutes ago, aprop60 said:

Why can't I get into orbit with Atlas in Rss

did you use a bdb-scale or real-scale bdb atlas?

also, what atlas variant?

also, pls explain/show your flight profile and stuff

2 hours ago, Beccab said:

Alright, I've just completed recreating the Early Lunar Access mission from 1993 - the thing took more than two days between irl things and the rendezvouz/dockings which I hate that the mission required, so enjoy!
For those unaware, ELA was the "cheaper-faster-better" approach applied to go back to the moon, using the Shuttle and the Titan IV (or the Ariane-5 to include the ESA) to assembly a lunar lander and the Centaur, this way:

Reveal hidden contents

Early Lunar Access

Because of how long and complicated this mission was I've made almost 250 screenshot of it to get a few decent ones to post here, which I've decided to split into groups to avoid cluttering the thread.
Launch of the shuttle, deploying the lander and the capsule:

Launch of the Centaur upper stage on a Titan IV:

Assembly of the transit vehicle and TLI:

Lunar landing:

Departure and return to Earth

What did you use for the reentry pod?

9 minutes ago, M3tr0id_Prim3 said:

Hey I really enjoy this mod but I have a question. What is the part used to connect the mercury(Hermes) capsule to the atlas(Bossart) rocket? I've been looking for a few days now and the wiki doesn't say what the parts are.

The Bossart 1.875 to 0.9375 tank has a part switch option for Hermes with long and short options.

28 minutes ago, M3tr0id_Prim3 said:

What is the part used to connect the mercury(Hermes) capsule to the atlas(Bossart) rocket?

There's an interstage for Mercury-Atlas. That goes between Mercury and the Atlas tapered tank switched to the 1.25m top.

O6VdPrJ.png

5 hours ago, Beccab said:

Eh, Mechjeb to the rescue?    My ISS is built with Rendezvouz autopilot + Docking Autopilot.    I wouldn't have even gotten 3 parts together without all of those fine tools!

Aside from that I want to say Brilliant mission and photos.    Is the Return Capsule from Alternate Apollo or something else?  I should really read ALL the posts (thought I was on the last page) before replying :D

Edited by Pappystein

On 5/30/2021 at 4:34 PM, Pappystein said:

Jso brings up several good points here... I would add, I get around the Saturn IB being a Dog by instead flying the Saturn IB as it was envisioned...   4x E-1s in the first stage for the win (replace all 8 H-1s!)   It isn't Historically accurate as flown, but it IS historically accurate as designed/conceptualized.

I followed your lead on this and ditched the 8xH-1's for 4xE-1's The difference is night and day. She performed beautifully and I never once had the urge to get out and push!

4 minutes ago, Jack Wolfe said:

I followed your lead on this and ditched the 8xH-1's for 4xE-1's The difference is night and day. She performed beautifully and I never once had the urge to get out and push!

Yep, and you really won't feel it if either the INT 12/13/14 or Saturn S-III stages ever get added to BDB because the E-1 can lift all of them (currently you can jimmy up a S-III stage with the S-IVC parts and 2 J2s from the BDB ETS Saturn MLV parts.   Just the S-IVC expansion tank + the 2 engine J-2 mount (then use the standard S-I to S-IVB interstage...   mount a 2nd of the same interstage above...  The OG (pre Silverstein) Saturn C-2 :D

It is only after the Silverstein eliminated the S-III stage as "wasteful" do we get un-buildable (with current BDB parts) C-2...   C-3 is currently un-buildable without tweakscale or bringing parts from other mods in (four a 4 J-2 S-II stage and also for a twin F-1 First Cluster (or not) First stage.

13 hours ago, Zorg said:

Doesnt it tip over if you keep SAS off? I thought it did.

Nope. Just floats upright really high in the water, with the heat shield barely touching the water. Do I need to adjust a config file?

9 hours ago, Beccab said:

Alright, I've just completed recreating the Early Lunar Access mission from 1993.

Screenshot_1589.png

Beautiful mission. Thank you for sharing this!

I had no idea this was a real concept, I’ve got to read up on this and learn more.

Edited by lemon cup

1 hour ago, DaveyJ576 said:

Nope. Just floats upright really high in the water, with the heat shield barely touching the water. Do I need to adjust a config file?

It's fixed for the next release.

5 hours ago, Pappystein said:

Eh, Mechjeb to the rescue?    My ISS is built with Rendezvouz autopilot + Docking Autopilot.    I wouldn't have even gotten 3 parts together without all of those fine tools!

Nope, I did everything manual:cool:

2 hours ago, lemon cup said:

Beautiful mission. Thank you for sharing this!

I had no idea this was a real concept, I’ve got to read up on this and learn more.

Thanks! I hadn't heard about it until very recently either, it was, as I understand, basically the first step of the First Lunar Outpost program

Edited by Beccab

4 hours ago, Cochies said:

"Мороз" is a good update. Beautiful.
But what should a simple player do now?
I have a lovely M-1-Rhino from Restock.
And I have a BlueDog M-1.
Do you understand that such a choice can go crazy?

I think the Rihno from Restock is the J-2X meant for the Constellation Program

A different version, I believe

Edited by Naeth Kerman

45 minutes ago, Naeth Kerman said:

I think the Rihno from Restock is the J-2X meant for the Constellation Program

A different version, I believe

The Restock Rhino is based on an earlier design iteration of the M1, the first or second, possibly a slight mix of the two. The BDB one is based on the 3rd (and final) M1 design.

Edit; More like the second I think.

Edit2: I believe it was supposed to be a J2-X in Porkjets original revamp plans on which restock is based. But Nertea chose to model an M1 instead.

unknown.png?width=1162&height=843

BDB M1 (final design)

unknown.png?width=755&height=843

Edited by Zorg

5 hours ago, Cochies said:

If you have CryoEngines and install the ReStock patch it behaves quite a lot like the M1. 

5 hours ago, Cochies said:

The restock m1 is small compared to BDB’s and isn’t scaled correctly. Same goes with restock’s F1 and BDB’s F1.