[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

9 minutes ago, lemon cup said:

Some people don’t think Delta II payloads be like it is, but it do.

MER is next I'm sure. :) 

I've heard rumblings about a separate probes mod invader's working on, maybe this is just being posted here for the time being.

Edited by Clamp-o-Tron

3 minutes ago, Clamp-o-Tron said:

MER is next I'm sure.

I've heard rumblings about a separate probes mod invader's working on, maybe this is just being posted here for the time being.

The separate probe mod is on hold, many of the probes I had set aside for that will eventually be put into BDB. There’s still a bunch of things  I’m figuring out/deciding for what to do with the rapidly increasing amount of probes in BDB, so I probably shouldn’t go into it too much more until I have a better idea what to do. However, Kepler is for BDB.

One thing I am certain of is I have no plans to MER. Aside from Kepler, the only probes I am 100% committed to doing in the near future and general future is finishing what I’ve already started (Pegasus and Mariner) as well as doing Voyager. I also want to do a couple parts for Landsat 1-3 that can be used with BDB’s Nimbus parts in the near future. Beyond that , there are some probes I have interest in but no firm plans with. 

1 hour ago, KeaKaka said:

What's that little circular thingy?

A reaction wheel of some sort?

I'm going to guess antenna. Looks kind of like a type of aviation spiral-band antenna that I've seen before, but I could be totally wrong.

Some more pictures from a project I'm working on:
21NIAvU.png
pTOEgtW.png

6 minutes ago, lemon cup said:

I'm going to guess antenna. Looks kind of like a type of aviation spiral-band antenna that I've seen before, but I could be totally wrong.

21NIAvU.png
pTOEgtW.png

Is that an ETS service module? How was the performance with the Saturn I? I jury rigged up a "Block 0" Apollo that consisted of just the CM and the SM decoupler, two batteries, some extra monoprop, and eight Gemini solids for retro. It worked pretty well and the Saturn I had no problem lifting it.

13 minutes ago, DaveyJ576 said:

Is that an ETS service module? How was the performance with the Saturn I? I jury rigged up a "Block 0" Apollo that consisted of just the CM and the SM decoupler, two batteries, some extra monoprop, and eight Gemini solids for retro. It worked pretty well and the Saturn I had no problem lifting it.

Well as you can see I forgot the instrument unit, so I guess that helped my performance :D

I had to down-fuel the Apollo service module, and the S-4 stage had RL10A-3 engines which I think were technically not used? Even then it barely squeaked  the spacecraft into orbit lol.

1 hour ago, KeaKaka said:

27 minutes ago, lemon cup said:

It is actually a reaction wheel. Pretty much the same one that is in Coatl (that part was inspired by this wheel). Will come in a single and a double version.

43 minutes ago, Invaderchaos said:

It is actually a reaction wheel. Pretty much the same one that is in Coatl (that part was inspired by this wheel). Will come in a single and a double version.

Is there a possibility of adding the triple reaction wheel also in Coatl Aerospace?

1 hour ago, Entr8899 said:

Is there a possibility of adding the triple reaction wheel also in Coatl Aerospace?

Unsure. For the moment probably not. This is because there is no actual case of the triple reaction wheel with Kepler’s reaction wheel. While this reaction wheel was used in other spacecraft (I know Dawn but I can’t recall the others) the most I’ve seen have been in pairs. I believe  the triple arrangement came from another spacecraft with a different reaction wheel.

3 hours ago, KeaKaka said:

2 hours ago, lemon cup said:

2 hours ago, Invaderchaos said:

To amend my previous statement, the black circular thing is the reaction wheel. As for the gold circular thing on the telescope… I am not quite sure. I know for sure that it’s not a reaction wheel (as those exist elsewhere on the spacecraft).

While it does look quite similar to a spiral antenna, I don’t really think it is one. This is because the spacecraft already has a low gain communication system (two bus mounted omni antennas which I haven’t modeled yet) so it wouldn’t make sense to have an additional low gain antenna system. Additionally, IRL I only saw one of those circular things on the telescope, I had to mirror it because of the telescope’s unwrap. If I were to take a guess? I’d probably say it has something to do with the mounting hardware for the sun shield/Schmidt correcter section. The top section of the telescope was mated to the rest of it, and secured using 6 latches(?) (seen in my model). The circular things go over the section on which they’re mated, so it might be related to that? Either way, I just thought it would be a nice greeble to add.

Edited by Invaderchaos

3 hours ago, lemon cup said:

21NIAvU.png
pTOEgtW.png

Wow! Looks amazing!

Edited by ballisticfox0

6 hours ago, lemon cup said:

Well as you can see I forgot the instrument unit, so I guess that helped my performance :D

I had to down-fuel the Apollo service module, and the S-4 stage had RL10A-3 engines which I think were technically not used? Even then it barely squeaked  the spacecraft into orbit lol.

The S-IV stage is actually powered by the RL-10-A-3S (S denoting Saturn as in the computer hookups.)  

The S-IV was originally supposed to be the LR-119 which never made the light of day.     A lot of people like to say the RL-10A-3 was the LR-119.    No it is the production LR-115.  

If the RL-10A-3 was LR-119 then the S-IV stage would have stayed 220" diameter and only had 4 engines.

The LR-119 was not a "classic" RL-10... but a derived RL-10.  An all new combustion chamber and bell with a Higher pressure capability.   Basically a RL-10B-2 with a tube wall bell and 20 years earlier.  

7 hours ago, lemon cup said:

21NIAvU.png
pTOEgtW.png

I always like seeing extended Saturn I concepts; the rocket was really underused historically.

3a7Ppim.jpg

uYCc4sC.jpg

p4tH5A8.jpg

7XEKhg3.jpg

ox8E7DU.jpg

February 24th, 1982 - The launch of E-2 aboard Apollo to SISS was uneventful, safe for this being the first launch of crew aboard the new giant Solid Saturn I. E-2 carried with it the Apollo Block IV Mission Module, loaded down with supplies and experiments. 
E-2's crew consists of: 
Pilot: American Astronaut Roy Bridges
Commander: American Astronaut William Fisher
Station Physician: Russian Cosmonaut Valeri Polyakov
Ride along 1: Russian Cosmonaut Leonid Kadeniuk
Ride along 2: Swiss Astronaut Claude Nicollier

February 25th, 1982 - The launch of Cargo-1 aboard Block I Aardvark on top of a Solid Saturn I. This was the first cargo mission to SISS, carrying up food and science experiments. 

The launch schedule: 

Between February 26th - 28th: Launch of Zarya + Docking Spacer Module
Between February 28th - March 2nd: Launch of E-3 aboard Soyuz (Launch dependent upon Zarya)
March 4th: Launch of Deep Space Observation Telescope (DSOT) module

Sometime in March: Launch of Node 1, aka Unity, aboard Space Shuttle Enterprise

Full Album: Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Bonus image: 

6ZXaJZ0.jpg

Welp, turns out that the nozzle is not narrow enough to avoid the hitboxes on the launch clamp platforms of the milkstool platform. 

Edited by GoldForest

59 minutes ago, Galileo chiu said:

How did you fix it?

Moved the booster out of the clamp area. Yes, the booster now floats in the air, but nothing we can do about that. I see only two options available to fix the issue, and both require the mod devs to make the change. Either the BDB team makes the collider on the nozzle smaller, or even non-existent or Alpha changes the milkstool's colliders. Well, there is a third, we just don't use the milkstool for the AJ-260s. :P

Edited by GoldForest

7 hours ago, Pappystein said:

The S-IV stage is actually powered by the RL-10-A-3S (S denoting Saturn as in the computer hookups.)  

The S-IV was originally supposed to be the LR-119 which never made the light of day.     A lot of people like to say the RL-10A-3 was the LR-119.    No it is the production LR-115.  

If the RL-10A-3 was LR-119 then the S-IV stage would have stayed 220" diameter and only had 4 engines.

The LR-119 was not a "classic" RL-10... but a derived RL-10.  An all new combustion chamber and bell with a Higher pressure capability.   Basically a RL-10B-2 with a tube wall bell and 20 years earlier.  

LR-119 when? :sticktongue:

12 hours ago, Pappystein said:

I believe the gimbal actuators+mountings were also different. I'm inferring that from the Delta/HOSS proposal, which specifically notes that hardware being shared with the S-IV but not Centaur.

19 hours ago, lemon cup said:

What about a modest stretch to both stages? Does that help or cause TWR issues?