[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

3 hours ago, davidy12 said:

Could just ask @pTrevTrevsfor his version.

You wouldn't be the first to ask. Next time I boot up KSP I'll see if I can prepare a craft file that just has the LM and the LRV, to minimize the chance of missing parts. I've got a lot of different mods and both DLCs in the build, though.

1 hour ago, Pappystein said:

And the fact that it ISN'T a SATURN just kills doesn't it :D

EXACTLY (*overdramatic huff*) why can't a man get a completely unrelated rocket in a mod that has no intentions of adding it ?!

0/10 wouldn't recommend !!

(jk this mod is awesome)

it was basically a satire post lmao I knew what the answer would have been

13 hours ago, Staticalliam7 said:

EXACTLY (*overdramatic huff*) why can't a man get a completely unrelated rocket in a mod that has no intentions of adding it ?!

0/10 wouldn't recommend !!

(jk this mod is awesome)

it was basically a satire post lmao I knew what the answer would have been

Yep, I just wanted to take the Satire/comedy a bit further :D    Since we now have proof of where WayUglyOverhype comes from

*for those not in the know*

And yes, that will be what I call that Rocket from now on.    What many people call "C-8" was just a "comparative" study to show what would happen if we went for a Direct Ascent Moon landing vs smaller rockets and EOR (latter LOR) mission profiles.    The exact profile of what people call C-8 is in the C-2 Initial Design documents.    It clearly states that it (Direct Ascent) is over-expensive, over-large and not able to meet any of the needs to get to space as laid out by either the Eisenhower and latter Kennedy Administrations....  EG no Moon before 72 at the earliest!   

*Ok stepping off the soapbox cause you and I are on the same page Staticalliam7 :D*

12 hours ago, Invaderchaos said:

Messing around with the Saturn IB parts and I made a Pioneer-based Pluto Flyby Mission:

screenshot402.png

Reveal hidden contents

screenshot409.png
screenshot410.png
screenshot415.png
screenshot416.png
screenshot417.png

Interesting that you didn't use the S-IV instead of or in conjunction with the Centaur.    Neat set of mission pictures

So I know I have been silent on the "historical articles" side of things lately.   There is a reason.   My next document is well beyond the scope of the currently planed features for the Saturn Update.    It will be coming shortly after the release of the Saturn Update.   

I will tell you that I will be covering the Saturn C-2 in Depth, and skimming along C-3 (sadly C-3 has too many conflicting source documents... C-2 has really ONE source document making it much easier.)  

If anyone has a link to an Actual Marshal Space Flight Center / AMBA Preliminary design report for the C-3 I would be much obliged

Please do not post or PM links to either en.wikipedia.org or Astronautix.com    In this case they are quoting each other as sources making them BOTH as trustworthy as a scorpion on your back while you swim across the lake.    :D

6 hours ago, Pappystein said:

Interesting that you didn't use the S-IV instead of or in conjunction with the Centaur. 

This build (pretty nice, I must say!) looks like a "what Saturn would like if it was designed by people who made Atlas V". Which means: big (and I mean BIG) 1st stage, supplemented with SRBs if needed, and a small, light hydrogen-fueled vacuum-optimised upper stage.

I wonder how it would fly without fins (which add mass and aren't really needed on this build IMO).

Edited by biohazard15

10 minutes ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

I kinda like this black interstage with an all-white CSM for some LEO shenanigans. A white variant on the smaller SM would be pretty cool maybe?

mNscrBV.png

Yea, I made the black adapter for Pegasus/Apollo Boilerplates, but I also made it so it can be used with the proper CSM. The extension toggle on it was intended to give extra clearance for the SM's engine if a real SM was being used (as I believe the SM engine clips into the S4 IU). As for a white block 3 SM, I will probably make one sooner or later.

Edited by Invaderchaos

24 minutes ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

I kinda like this black interstage with an all-white CSM for some LEO shenanigans. A white variant on the smaller SM would be pretty cool maybe?

mNscrBV.png

I have actually orbited a VERY short fueled CSM with a Saturn I on KSRSS with three astronauts. I can’t pull up the figures right now as I don’t have access to my laptop, but I left just enough fuel and oxidizer to deorbit from 100 km. Also short fueled the monoprop in the SM and left behind the high gain antenna, personal parachutes, and jet packs. The booster got the CSM to 100 km with just a tad of fuel left in the S-IV. If I remember correctly it was to a 35 deg inclination. My goal was to recreate the planned manned Saturn I flights that were canceled in favor of the Saturn IB. It worked, but the lack of resources would have drastically limited what you could do and how long you could do it. NASA planned for just three day missions for these flights, and it drove home the rational for switching to the IB. 

ASTP Saturn 1B Stack is just not Reaching Orbit

• Full Weight: 147.277 Tons
  • VAB Delta V:  3874 m/s
  • Ablator: 134.8
  • SM - ASTP Option - Fully Fueled on
    • Aerozine50 - 562.5 / 562.5
    • NTO - 687.5 / 687.5
    • Hydrazine - 25.0
  • SLA: With Docking Adapter
  • S-IVB: Fully Fueled with J-2S Engine
    • Liquid Hydrogen - 71428.5 / 71428.5
    • Liquid Oxygen - 4761.9 / 4761.9
  • S-I: Fully Fueled with 1973 H-1D and H-1C
    • Kerosene - 7200 / 7200
    • Liquid Oxygen - 8800 / 8800

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

playing in KSRSS

all of these minus the weight of Launch Umbilical Tower

it just ain't reaching Orbit

V2UkBPu.png

Edited by Adam-Kerman

9 minutes ago, Adam-Kerman said:

V2UkBPu.png

Is your SM fuel variant set to the ASTP mode? Which planet pack are you using?

Edited by Invaderchaos

27 minutes ago, Adam-Kerman said:

V2UkBPu.png

Are you using the jettisonable SLA, because that one has crippling drag for Saturn IB

Edited by Jcking

9 minutes ago, Jcking said:

Are you using the Jettison-able SLA, because that one has crippling drag for Saturn IB

Booting up to check now...

EDIT: Yes, Yes i am using the Jettison-able SLA

Edited by Adam-Kerman
EDIT: Yes, Yes i am using the Jettison-able SLA