[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

8 minutes ago, pTrevTrevs said:

What exactly is the difference between the LM Taxi and the regular LM, other than some versions of the Taxi carrying three astronauts?

All variations had the ability to enter a low power mode and be left unattended for the duration of the stay (14 days is what is quoted for the two man version). They would also be able to be able to hook up to an RTG, but that was located on the shelter and one of the astronauts would have to EVA to the shelter disconnect the RTG from the shelter, hitch it to the rover, and drive back and hook it up to the taxi.

Edited by Jcking

2 minutes ago, pTrevTrevs said:

What exactly is the difference between the LM Taxi and the regular LM, other than some versions of the Taxi carrying three astronauts?

Mostly stuff to prepare it for the thermal environment that it would go through with a mission that long. Radiators, insulating blankets, an RTG with heat piping. Just trying to keep everything at a consistent temperature.

All this stuff is still in flux, but you can see the progress on it here:

CUduvcA.png

kQvzIrj.png

5 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Mostly stuff to prepare it for the thermal environment that it would go through with a mission that long. Radiators, insulating blankets, an RTG with heat piping. Just trying to keep everything at a consistent temperature.

All this stuff is still in flux, but you can see the progress on it here:

CUduvcA.png

kQvzIrj.png

What happened to the dorsal docking port?

Just got off work early and see that it's launched finallyAmazing work!!!

PS: The Taxi still a 2 stage lander, right? And why do the variants have different RCS blocks?

Edited by davidy12

8 minutes ago, Cdodders said:

What happened to the dorsal docking port?

7 minutes ago, davidy12 said:

PS: The Taxi still a 2 stage lander, right? And why do the variants have different RCS blocks?

This is it in the dormant/landed state, with insulation (or at least, shades) over the docking port and RCS. It will just be a toggleable animation.

Edited by CobaltWolf

3 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

idk lol but that's definitely but I've been calling it in my head. It's just from one of the artworks and I thought it was cool.

0831_062721_03.jpg?w=2000&h=

Surely its a radiator. 

6 hours ago, pTrevTrevs said:

There was an NTRS document that I read once that for some of the later Apollo Extension System (AES) missions  there would be a 3 man LM Taxi. The CSM would be powered down and its orbit maintained remotely while all three astronauts maximized the science return on the surface. If it is possible it would be great to have one. 

Another version of the plan involved longer stays on the surface by two astros. I think the plan was for 30 days. The CMP stayed in orbit, but had the luxury of docking the CSM to a small SLA based station. It allowed the CMP to conduct orbital surveys and other experiments in relative comfort. This obviously would have been a two launch mission.

I apologize for the lack of documentation. I was unable to find the document again.